WBBB DL Multicam XLC, Roo
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG Custom
    Suspension
    Webbing

dutch whoopie hook suspension vs webbing & buckles

I have the webbing and buckles that came on my BB XLC. I don't really have a problem with them so far, even though they are a little tricky to adjust while the hammock is hanging. I have read a lot of good comments on the dutch whoopie hook suspension kit. What benefits would I get with that over the webbing and buckles I already have? Maybe I should just get different buckles instead of changing all the suspension? Thanks.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Whoopies would be lighter. But webbing and buckles may be the easiest suspension there is I think.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Digital Camo GG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nodust View Post
    Whoopies would be lighter. But webbing and buckles may be the easiest suspension there is I think.
    Yep! I like the whoopie hook better but every system has it's cons.
    "Never corner anything meaner than you are...."-Unknown

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I do like the Whoopie hook suspension. I like being able to easily detach the hammock from the wet suspension and pack them separately. The whoopie hook is also a natural water break.

I might eventually consider a strap suspension like the Dutch Cinch bug because I can continue using continuous loops, rather than permanently attaching straps to my hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.7/Mtn wilderness
    Tarp
    Mountain Wildernes
    Insulation
    WL tq HYOH uq
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I love how quick and easy my WBBB cinch straps are to use. I just got a set of whoopies, and once I got used to them, I like how easy they are to adjust. My only problem is, Im so afraid that I will leave a tree strap, on a tree, on the ground, or in my basement, and I wont have it when I need it. I know it will happen. I can be a little scatter brained sometime. If my straps are wet, I just leave them on the outside of my bishop bag that came with my BB, and put them in a baggie. I always have at least one extra baggie with me. That way the hammock stays dry and so does the stuff in my pack. Not quite as good as being able to separate them, but Id rather have wet straps than just one strap.

Hammock
    Sheltowee & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Now there's something I hadn't really considered...the wet suspension problem. And that may put another check-mark in the column for detachable whoopies. I too like the simplicity of straps (nothing to lose, easy to adjust, intuitive to others not in the know about whoopies.) But then again I realize I've shoved the wet straps into the bishop sack along with hammock and UQ and never thought twice about it in the past. Now I have something else to worry about :-|

I keep going back and forth with whoopies and straps. Perhaps I should just put a whoopie on the head-end, and strap on the foot-end :-) Before someone flames me, I'm just kidding.

GreenT

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I have the stock adjustable webbing on my XLC and a set of 15' web Cinch Bugs for a second hammock. The Cinch Bugs feel much lighter (sorry no scales, metal mule rider), are easier to adjust, and the ability to detach makes for a cleaner hammock. Glad I bought them...

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    Whoopies will increase the minimum distance between trees you can hang from. This is due to the whoopies bury.

I tend to favor straps because they are easier to use and finding trees is a tad easier. I recently got some Kevlar straps from Dutch, and I haven't felt the need to go back to whoopies. They do take more care when using vs poly straps, but man are they light.

Hammock
    Sheltowee & WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback - what kind of extra care do the Kevlar straps require? I was looking longingly at the Dutchware site this morning. Do you feel like the Kevlar straps take up water differently?

Another vote for straps: way more flexibility when it comes to tree size...co& easily have big trees close together or smaller trees far apart and I'm not limited by a 4 or 5 foot long band on the tree.

John

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I like the straps. I have my buckles on a continuous loop with a whoopie hook, that way I can remove the suspension from the hammock, especially when wet.

I'd rather be hanging.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast