Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HG Phoenix + WBBB XLC combination

I tried my HG Phoenix with my XLC this past weekend on the Florida trail and was really frustrated with the experience. Previously, I have been using the Dutch PolyD hammock (58" wide) with the 44" wide Phoenix. I was mostly happy with this combination but had a little trouble keeping everything in place. I had a little bit of a problem with the quilt suspension running either over or under my lower legs, but eventually got used to the irritation.

The XLC is 63" wide, not much wider than Dutch's hammock. But the XLC is asymmetric, which I'm thinking is potentially the source of frustration. With the integrated bug net zipped on, I could not adjust the quilt through the night, which meant it was all over the place. You figure the quilt is only 2/3 the width of the hammock, so laying across the hammock is going to less than ideal. At one point, I woke up to discover I was sleeping almost fully on the bug net. The quilt had rotated all the way 'round the hammock! I figure I must have rolled to follow the warmth. In addition, laying across the hammock with my feet in the footbox just did not work well. The quilt suspension was very tight and running under my calves and quite uncomfortable. This just seemed like a bad combination.

Wondering if anyone has had this experience and found a solution? If I use these together again I'll definitely not use the integrated bug net, instead opting for the fronkey net or winter sock.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    With my Dutch PolyD hammock, I always feel I have more control of the UQ. There's a Shug vid where he shows how he pushes his feet so the shock cord is outside his legs - that technique has always kept me warm.

On hammocks with integrated bugnets, I might consider quilt hooks or something to keep the UQ in place.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    I'm not entirely visually following what positions you and the quilt were in through the night, but it's clear neither was ideal.

Assuming a normal head left/feet right lay for your XLC try the following: Use a mini-biner or piece of shock cord to attach your quilt to the XLC tie-out ring closest to your bug net zipper. That'll anchor the quilt in place by your head and left shoulder. That was always the place I had the most difficultly, and the rest just fell into place after I did that. The other side should stay put under the shelf as long as the suspension isn't too tight. That should take care of your upper torso. I'm not sure what advice to give about the bottom. My experience with 3/4 quilts is pretty limited.

Edit: Added photo showing mini-biner UQ anchor at left shoulder of WB XLC.

IMG_3385.JPG

Edit 2: I realized I have my UQ tied to one of the XLC ribbons that is intended to hold back the bug net if it is half unzipped and pulled aside. That effectively gives me an anchor for the quilt at my right hip. Between that and the lock at left shoulder, my quilt pretty much stays in place.
    Last edited by DanglingModifier; 05-05-2015 at 17:33. Reason: Added Edit 1 & 2

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe this video will give a little insight to help you get a better fit.
    Carry forth.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

I think the problem with the HG underquilt is that it is too wide for the Blackbird and interferes with the guyouts on the hammock. I have a Yeti and it stays in place pretty well since it rides well under the guy lines.. I would try either not guying out the hammock or guying it close in.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Delux w/2QZQ Mo, WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HH SS, HG UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Desending Ring
    I have the same set up and this is what I have done (assuming you or someone can sew). I copied the tabs on the screen by the zipper and sewn a tab on the hammock just below the area where the zipper is sewn. Then where my feet fit in the foot box I sewn a tab on the hammock just below the zipper there as well. (note: I also have a shock cord ridged to pull out the foot box) Now if you had HG install the tab/triangle connecters on the side of the quilt the one near the head can be connected to the tab on the hammock and the one at the foot box area is connected to the tab by the foot box. This will always keep the underquilt aligned the way the body lays in the hammock. Also, by placing the two tabs below the pull outs by the head on the hammock you can pull out that area of the hammock with the screen zipped off.

Images
    Sounds like your UQ suspension was not adjusted correctly to allow it to move as you move around in the hammock.
    I have never been a fan of the duel suspension having the shockcords fixed to the attackment hook.

Give this a try and see if it helps.
    Using cheap S biners snap (on each end) to your whoopies and connecting your UQ shockcord so it can slide as you move around
    this will help equalize the shockcord tension on each side of the s-biner.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Sounds like your UQ suspension was not adjusted correctly to allow it to move as you move around in the hammock.
    I have never been a fan of the duel suspension having the shockcords fixed to the attackment hook.

Give this a try and see if it helps.
    Using cheap S biners snap (on each end) to your whoopies and connecting your UQ shockcord so it can slide as you move around
    this will help equalize the shockcord tension on each side of the s-biner.

OutandBack,

My Incubator came with S-biners on each end. I can't see in your photo what is different than a normal HG setup. The photo is a little on the small side so I might be missing the little details.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, bonefire, dutch
    Tarp
    superfly, HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Huggers / Whoopies
    I have a WBBB and phoenix. It seems to work for me however when nature calls I reassess and adjust as necessary. Also when I have the shelf side staked{ seldom use the entry side tie out) out it keeps the underquilt pretty much in place because it keeps it from sliding up that side.

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    I think the problem with the HG underquilt is that it is too wide for the Blackbird and interferes with the guyouts on the hammock. I have a Yeti and it stays in place pretty well since it rides well under the guy lines.. I would try either not guying out the hammock or guying it close in.
    The XLC guy lines don't pose any problem for my HG Incubator. They are entirely out of the way. The key is there is no good reason to insulate your shelf, and at least one or two bad reasons to try. You just let that side of the quilt snug up between the shelf and hammock body. The shelf then works as a windbreak for that side of the quilt and helps to keep it in place as country hang noticed. The only problem may come from contents of the shelf compressing the quilt, and if that is a big problem you're probably asking too much of the shelf in the first place.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast