Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ and EE TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Out here if the ticks see you hanging off the ground they will climb up your tree, crawl out on a limb over your hammock then drop down on you. They do wait until you pull your tarp back or walk out from under it.

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ujjc001 View Post
    ... wanted to treat the bottom of the UQ too, but worry, does it stain? I also don't know how "wet" to apply the spray or otherwise degrade materials- don't think soaking it would be appropriate- don't want to wet my down, just the shell....
    That's what I do, just spray to moisten, not to soak as I would for clothing, gear, and hammock. Mostly I spray my TQ, because I do some cowboy camping with it. But both quilts spend some time on the ground during set-up and take-down and I don't really care to transport ticks into my pack.

I use water-based Permethrin (NOT the petroleum-based stinky stuff) and have never noticed a stain or other problem with it.
    "You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Hammock
    Night Owl
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator/BA Bag
    Suspension
    Straps and a loop.
    Maybe use an Under Quilt Protector and spray that with Permethrin?
    Do a Good Turn Daily!

I wouldn't spray a quilt, however I just finished spraying some clothing, hats, hammocks, bug nets, and camp chairs. I didn't see any staining and I looked closely, including on some white cotton and nylon shirts. The permethrin I used was the 10% stuff from the Tractor Supply store. I diluted it to 0.5%, which is the Sawyer concentration. (It is made to be diluted with water.) Funny thing is it is clear in the container, milky white when diluted with water.
    Last edited by DrPhun; 05-12-2015 at 17:38.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    I just sprayed my net cover for my Thunderbird tonight. Save yourself some money though and mix your own. Sawyers mix is pricey. I followed this video and it works great. Same stuff as in the "Yellow" bottle. I found a 32oz bottle of Permethrin at local farm store for $20. Its the 10% concentrate; mix 2oz in 32 oz spray bottle and your set.
    https://youtu.be/wkPiPU8Oawk

Hammock
    DH Sparrow Hyper D XL
    Tarp
    JRB 12x10 Univrsl
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    It does not stain, but it definitely leaves a patchouli oil-like scent on everything, and hanging in the air. Which, if you are hanging at Coachella or Burning Man, may be a plus. Tell them it is a new sandalwood scent, and that you are from Seattle. After all, how are you going to fair with the ladies when you tell them your hammock is soaked in a pesticide manufactured by a large corporation?
    Last edited by Tonykarter; 05-12-2015 at 11:12.
    Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I spay everything except my underquilt (I figure bugs can't bite through that). I've never detected a stain on any fabric of any color. That being said, I exclusively use Sawyers as many others use a petroleum base, whereas Sawyers doesn't.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12