Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY bridge
    Suspension
    DIY tree hugger
    Alas ..... I forgot one piece of advice ...... something you should remember from orientation ..... The Boy Scout motto .....

BE PREPARED
    I do not wish to be disturbed - but I can't help it!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE Ridge Creek UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    I have the same system. a 20* bag will be fine, provided you have some insulation underneath you. A quick fix would be what was already recommended-get a cheap closed cell foam pad. I will tell you now, it wont be the best experience in the world with it. My suggestion would be to order either the underpad system from the Hennessy site (or contact me-I have one I no longer use), or, for longer term, look into in underquilt. For right now though, the cheapest & quickest solution is the foam pad. PM me, I will sell you my underpad system cheap, if you like.
    As for your backpack: what I do, every single time, is simply hang my pack on the tree itself. When all the gear is removed, it is light. I simply wrap a cord around the tree, and tie it off. Keeps it off the ground, and dry. Put your raincover on it, and you will be good to go.
    I have an aftermarket tarp, which makes changing easier. You have two options: change in the hammock, or throw modesty to the wind, and simply change under the tarp. Ok, 3 options; you could always borrow someone's tent I suppose.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HGCub/Deluxe Spinn
    Insulation
    HGP/SSF/JRBHR/HGBu
    Suspension
    line/ring/strap
    Sling hammock in backyard a couple times till you get it right, then spend the night in it in the backyard, figure out where you are cold, put foam padding under there till you can lie in it and not be cold; mummy bag on top will be fine. If you think rain, have tarp pulled between trees over hammock and tied out, and do this in your back yard for practice. Two evenings, 2 nights in hammock before trip, you'll have it mostly wired. then hope CAVU on trip. Sailor

Hammock
    a modified tent
    Tarp
    blue construction
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    purple tow straps
    Images
    or you could just go out there like you are and be that shining example of WHY those kids need to be prepared. the trip could suck for you but be awesomely funny to the rest of the pack.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Wendigo, you've got a cool sense of humor!!!

ok, my advise, PRACTICE!!! If you don't, then like Wendigo said, there's gonna be some shinning examples for the scouts to learn from!!!
    About changing clothes, me, being female and camping with BOY scouts.... on short trips, I don't change clothes!!!! Long trips, wait till dark, inform your other adult leaders what you need to do, and go behind a tree or your tarp. I can change in my hammock but it takes like for-ever and I'm wore out when I finish!!!
    Do post back here after your trip and let us know how it went.
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images

Get a Wally World blue pad

I had some not so fun experiences with my HH Exped 5 years ago when I first purchased it - including one night in N GA when it was close to 100 during the day but then dropped into the upper 50's after a severe storm on Blood Mtn. I had no insulation and only a silk bag liner and almost developed hypothermia. Later on, talking with Ed Speer, he gently reminded me that I could have used the HH as a bivy sack on the ground and would have been much more comfortable. Worse case, get the blue CC foam pad and stick it in your HH. Cheap, good down to the upper 40's (from what I recall). Get a few big black trash bags, that way you can lay on them IF you had to go to ground for some reason plus use them for a front porch and pack cover.

Bottom line from someone that has done the trial/error thing in a HH, take some insulation or you will have a cold, uncomfortable night.

Sweeper

Hammock
    a modified tent
    Tarp
    blue construction
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    purple tow straps
    Images
    and how in the world can you not find 30 mins to an hour between now and Friday to test that thing out.......sleep less, eat faster and pee in the shower if you have to do something to free up the time.......otherwise I want video so I can laugh just like the rest of the pack.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
    and how in the world can you not find 30 mins to an hour between now and Friday to test that thing out.......sleep less, eat faster and pee in the shower if you have to do something to free up the time.......otherwise I want video so I can laugh just like the rest of the pack.
    Up till now have been able to just read this thread and smile.

I agree with all of the folks saying that you need to at least do a dry run on your set up.

Wendigo, you crack me up. Great advice and I agree on all points.

Hammock
    a modified tent
    Tarp
    blue construction
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    purple tow straps
    Images
    316 views and quite a few tips.........any of this working for you yet?

Hammock
    Warbonnet B-bird
    Tarp
    WB MJ /SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti, leg pad/pack
    Suspension
    Whoooooooopie
    Images

Practice practice practice

+1 on the ccf pad. I would add, ditch the HH tarp, and take a 10x10 or 10x12
    poly tarp instead. It will be heavy and bulky, but you will be less likely to get wet.

Practice setting the thing up, you will be glad you did.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." Gen. George S. Patton

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast