Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/ Pad
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    +1 on the ccf pad. I would add, ditch the HH tarp, and take a 10x10 or 10x12
    poly tarp instead. It will be heavy and bulky, but you will be less likely to get wet.
    Can't really speak about a HH, but here is my .02 for the tarp:

I'll second the poly tarp. Way too heavy for any serious hiking, but on any trip, a bigger tarp, the better. My tarp ridge line is 12' and 5' down the sides. Gives both rain protection from spray, cuts down on wind blowing the rain, plus helps with the clothes changing issue.

Good luck and bring back pics
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    - Yoda

Hammock
    WB BlackBird DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Edge Spinn
    Insulation
    WB Yeti 3S
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post
    My advice would be to NOT use it until you've had a chance to practice a bit.
    That would be my advice as well. In my humble opinion, taking untested gear (you mentioned you haven't even unwrapped it to see if all the parts are there...) out into the woods is just asking for trouble. Take the time to practice setting up the hammock a few times, learn the lashings (or figure out alternatives), find yourself some underinsulation, and you're good to go. Best of luck!!
    Fiat Luchs

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
    or you could just go out there like you are and be that shining example of WHY those kids need to be prepared. the trip could suck for you but be awesomely funny to the rest of the pack.
    I'd have to totally agree with Wendigo ... practice but go for it. The kids and you will learn from it and so what if you're miserable ... you'll make that trip for the boys if you do a two and a half rotation before being thrown out of the hammock! I'm not much on the "organization" as it exist in scouting but I am big on a quality learning experience for the boys/girls as the case may be.

Wendigo ... got to meet you. We seem to have the same sense of humor! Some that know me might think you need serious help because of that! Just do like me and blame it on MCD

(Mad Cow Disease)

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    a modified tent
    Tarp
    blue construction
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    purple tow straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    I'd have to totally agree with Wendigo ... practice but go for it. The kids and you will learn from it and so what if you're miserable ... you'll make that trip for the boys if you do a two and a half rotation before being thrown out of the hammock! I'm not much on the "organization" as it exist in scouting but I am big on a quality learning experience for the boys/girls as the case may be.

Wendigo ... got to meet you. We seem to have the same sense of humor! Some that know me might think you need serious help because of that! Just do like me and blame it on MCD

(Mad Cow Disease)
    thats funny cause I know me and I'm sure I need serious help.........one day Hawk-eye, one day. I will make it to a hang somewhere and I hope you are there.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Well it's nearly 4 pm here ... but you must be burning the mid-night oil!

Yeah hope we can ... I like being around folks that see the humor in the little things! HEY Linville Gorge Hang is only a month away! Bit far I know ... but hey!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    a modified tent
    Tarp
    blue construction
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    purple tow straps
    Images
    Hammock Gods willing, I will be there.

Hammock
    a modified tent
    Tarp
    blue construction
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    purple tow straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wxguy23 View Post
    52 views and no tips?
    did this guy see 52 views with no tips and just give up? oh well, at least it was the funnest thread I've been involved with. I hope he comes back with video.

Quote Originally Posted by jhunt87 View Post
    As far as the knots go, if you use the knot recommended by Hennessy, glancing over the photo's on their site is really helpful, the description on the bag was a little hard for me to visualize.

here is the link to those pictures.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=81

Also, I prefer using 2 tent stakes for tying down the rain fly rather than finding rocks or vegetation or something.
    What if the hammock is too loose? Can I use this knot to tighten it or do I have to retie a knot and hope for the best?

Quote Originally Posted by Wendigo View Post
    316 views and quite a few tips.........any of this working for you yet?

Wow, you are tough on me...Yes I am loving the tips...

Okay...I was without a computer last night so sorry for late replies.

I tried the HH below my deck last night. I don't have trees, but hope to find a couple in a friend'd yard today or tomorrow for a better more true set up. I did manage to take a good hour nap in it yesterday with a howling wind. Certainly can feel the chill as I had no covers. My knees hurt from being locked. Gotta get used to it. My normal hammock sleeps two. So now my new questions:

1. The knot. If I use the Hennesy knot, will it allow me to add more tension as needed? I found myself having to retie twice.

2. The tree strap slips. If I us one loop on the strap to tie the rope to intead of the recommended two, how long will it last? Seems like a lot on one loop.

3. When not it the hammock, how good is the velcro? Do you find bugs in the hammock when you turn in for the night?

4. In regards to a ccf pad, can I just pick up a cheap blue one from wal-mart? Does this really reflect the heat like an emergency blanket would? I can see getting into a bag, while keeping the pad under you, while getting into the hammock would make for a great blooper video. Looks hard.

5. The rainfly is kinda small. I will consider an alternative or just use my tent when expecting rain.

6. I guess I could just hang my 20lb bag from the line holding the hammock up?

Thanks....and if I was not using the Scout motto of Be Prepared, I would not be here!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast