Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Is fabric wear (from the pole rubbing the ridge) not a concern? I like the mod.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1/1.7, WBRR 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/WP +S.fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20+AHJB+DIY
    Suspension
    buckle/whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Funny Money View Post
    Is fabric wear (from the pole rubbing the ridge) not a concern? I like the mod.
    If you are worried about fabric wear, I suppose you could do a continuous ridge line over the tarp using prussics at the ends of the tarp, that way the trekking pole doesn't rest on the tarp, but on the ridge line.

Glad it is working well for you danglingmodifier. I too was jealous of the pole mod and but didn't want the extra weight which caused me to look at what I always backpack with to macgyver.
    My gear load
    lighterpack.com/r/o9iaf

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Digi
    Insulation
    HG top/btm 20.
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I may give this a try, I've always liked the idea of the pole mod but refuse to carry the weight of the poles and just use the pullouts as demonstrated in Brandon's Superfly video. I use my Leki's for porch mode so using them as a pole mod for when the tarp is down as well sounds great and there would be zero weight penalty.

Thanks.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me... Philippians 4:13

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Burg54 View Post
    Significant extra weight?

I guess it's subjective. My WL pole mod is about 4.5 oz. Does not seem significant to me. But, HYOH and all that.
    Agreed. Entirely subjective. I consider multiple ounces "significant". I'm not an UL guy or a thru hiker, but I do long enough hikes (2-4 weeks) to need to think and pack like a thru hiker. My base pack weight right now is around 15 pounds, and something that's 4.5 oz and does mostly the same job as 1.5 oz guy lines really needs to justify itself to make the cut.

Quote Originally Posted by climbing.kevin View Post
    If you are worried about fabric wear, I suppose you could do a continuous ridge line over the tarp using prussics at the ends of the tarp, that way the trekking pole doesn't rest on the tarp, but on the ridge line.
    This is what I'm doing. CRL over the tarp. Poles over CRL.

I'm much less worried about abrasion from the poles than I am about having bent hiking poles. I left it set up overnight to see how the poles hold up from a night of stress.

Hammock
    Dutch PoylD 11' charcoal grey
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I carry the extra poles for the pull outs and use the treking poles for porch mode.
    I also never take the poles off when in porch mode.
    Here is a pic of my son and I set up this past weekend at Zaleski in southern Ohio.
    zaleski.jpg
    " BEING A BOY SCOUT ISN'T SOMETHING YOU DO....IT'S SOMEONE YOU ARE" Miss Lisa troop 24

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG 20 Inc/Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cbsinnett View Post
    I carry the extra poles for the pull outs and use the treking poles for porch mode.
    I also never take the poles off when in porch mode.
    Here is a pic of my son and I set up this past weekend at Zaleski in southern Ohio.
    zaleski.jpg
    So roomy! But until I have a personal Sherpa or take shorter hikes I just can't justify carrying the extra set of poles.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanglingModifier View Post
    So roomy! But until I have a personal Sherpa or take shorter hikes I just can't justify carrying the extra set of poles.
    Personally, I don't take them backpacking because it's just another task to deal with at camp, and porch mode seems good enough for me.

For reference, my extra poles weigh the same as 2 cliff bars. Not commenting if that is a lot to you.. I was just curious after reading your prior posts on how much they weigh.

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Quote Originally Posted by TallPaul View Post
    Personally, I don't take them backpacking because it's just another task to deal with at camp, and porch mode seems good enough for me.

For reference, my extra poles weigh the same as 2 cliff bars. Not commenting if that is a lot to you.. I was just curious after reading your prior posts on how much they weigh.
    I agree on the weight thing.. Once we get our packs down to (light).. It becomes almost painful to keep cutting weight..
    How many miles you are hiking plays a big part in this decision making.. naturally..
    Case in point, I am heading out later tonight for a 46-50 mile hike and returning friday evening...
    I have a single pole mod, and it is staying home, so is my best friend, a transistor radio. and my tea light candle lantern..
    But my base weight is 13#... Justifying a few ounces here and there, does not add up to a 13# base weight...
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Digi
    Insulation
    HG top/btm 20.
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Gout View Post
    I agree on the weight thing.. Once we get our packs down to (light).. It becomes almost painful to keep cutting weight..
    How many miles you are hiking plays a big part in this decision making.. naturally..
    Case in point, I am heading out later tonight for a 46-50 mile hike and returning friday evening...
    I have a single pole mod, and it is staying home, so is my best friend, a transistor radio. and my tea light candle lantern..
    But my base weight is 13#... Justifying a few ounces here and there, does not add up to a 13# base weight...
    Yup, I dunno I guess in the long run the weight of additional poles isn't much but my mindset is that if I say meh it's only a couple ounces for the poles, etc. Then I will do it for other things as well and then the pack weight will skyrocket. Every ounce counts, still trimming the fat on my gear but trying to get to a base weight of 10 lbs before food and water. Looking at it from another perspective though it's amazing how much money I spend or have spent to shave 2-6 ounces by replacing it with something a year or so old. When I first started backpacking my pack weight was in the 50 lb range. Nope nope nope I'll trade some creature comforts for less weight.

But then I'm one of those guys who trims straps to the minimum needed length, cuts ice axe loops off, drills holes in toothbrushes or just doesn't take one, and cuts labels off. I have a gallon ziploc in the closet of all the stuff I trim off packs, gear. Believe it or not brand label tags, excess draw cord, etc is adding up to about 5 oz right now. It's my reminder bag and I keep adding to it lol.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me... Philippians 4:13

Hammock
    Dutch PoylD 11' charcoal grey
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 0* incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    My base weight is no where near #10# but for the 3 days we where out my max pack weight started out at 27# and I care 3.5 L of water to start with.
    That is a lot better than the 35# I had for same trip 1 year ago.
    I could have left out the poles and my new Helinox chair but was worth carring for me cause I have them to use and leaving them at home would just be a waste of money IMO.
    Not saying anyone is right or wrong for what they carry, it is a personal thing.
    At the end of our scout hike we talked with the boys about what they took and never used and what thet had that they just could not hike with out. was a great learning time for young scouts and leaders alike.
    " BEING A BOY SCOUT ISN'T SOMETHING YOU DO....IT'S SOMEONE YOU ARE" Miss Lisa troop 24

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast