Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    HH Explorer with a sleeping bag. Classic entry. The bag was a pain and I had no real bottom insulation. It was summer in VA so with the temps not dropping below 75F and humidity bottom insulation was not an issue.
    Same as above but a UL model and a HHSS for the bottom which I had no understanding about how to use. And 1st night ever was 22F. Froze, could not get fully inside sleeping bag, abandoned hammock for ground under the stars about 0200. Dog cussed the entire hammock concept and the buddy who convinced me to try it, swore I would never do that again. Although, later i had to admit I was sleeping mighty fine until I woke up in the hammock net shivering violently with my HHSS pad above me.

2nd night figured insulation out a bit better and slept toasty, deep and comfy except for having to get up for diarrhea attacks.

3rd night was too sick to get over Jack *** Pass and had to go to ground again, no trees:

4th night was very paranoid about the tarp, could not figure out how to rig it right and was paranoid about a storm that was coming. Made it OK, slept wonderfully. I know this looks ridiculous, but I was an ignorant noob, got it all figured out later. Thank goodness for the HHSS UC which save me from wind and wind blown rain on my 1st trip:

The view from my hammock when I had the tarp off or was out of the hammock helped keep it together:

The night after this, I had the best nights sleep I ever had indoors or out and was hooked. The wind howled in the foot end of my tiny tarp pitched right next to the lake 10 feet away. I found out my buds were snickering at me becuse they knew that wind was going to freeze me. I was the last one to wake up with the sun up and shining bright. Woke up to the sound of every one else breaking camp, and all were grumpy except for me. They all were cold and spent the night on rocks and/or rolling downhill in the uneven campsite. Now I was 100% converted, no turning back. This was 1st week Sept 2006. Joined HF a few months later.

Hammock
    Depends on the day
    Tarp
    HG Hex, WBSF, WLTP
    Insulation
    HG UQ / UDQ TQ
    Suspension
    Dyneema Straps
    Hammock: Trek Lite Double
    Tarp: None
    Insulation: No sew Poncho liner UQ and an old coleman synthetic sleeping bag

I work as a stagehand so I got a hammock originally to take naps where I could (backstage, under the stage, in trucks etc) Originally started with no insulation because I was inside and only taking quick naps. Finally got insulation to work a festival, but I didn't need a tarp because I hung in a gazebo. Took me a few years to actually hang from trees.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The first (you always remember) was an old army issued hammock, old school monster sleeping bag. Slept dry through many trips and backyard outings. Everything packed huge.
    junglehammock.jpg
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    About 15 years ago, I used an older Hennessy Asym Expedition; the one with bottom entry and terrible suspension. I knew nothing of underquilts or pads and shivered all night long.

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    The first (you always remember) was an old army issued hammock, old school monster sleeping bag. Slept dry through many trips and backyard outings. Everything packed huge.
    junglehammock.jpg
    Yah, that would be it for me, at about the same time. My first actual time camping with that was done at state park which at that time was relatively new. They assigned me a camping area, but not an actual site, and gave me the gate combination in case I needed to get out during the night. The only campsite I could find with any trees at all had only one but there was a BBQ pit on a steel pole set in concrete the proper distance from the tree, so I tied off to the tree and the BBQ pit. I woke up about 0530 the next morning laying on the ground with that BBQ pit leaning over at about a 45 degree angle. I was glad I had the gate combination so's I could get outta there before the rangers showed up.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow 1.2
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Zepplin
    Suspension
    Venum strap Becket
    My very first night in a hammock was a young n' dumb accident... Had the eno pitched at the lake with friends. After enjoying a few too many libations I was woken up at 11 pm by the park ranger to whom I explained I was still in no shape to drive and asked if I could just pay the camping fee in the morning. It was summer here in Texas, the hammock was all I needed and that was all she wrote for my days on the ground.

That first system got completed with a blue tarp from dads garage, some paracord, ccf pad and a sleeping bag I already had.

Hammock
    60x126 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 8 1/2'
    Insulation
    Jarbidge UQ, PLTQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & MSH
    Good memories.

Woot special Yukon Outfitters with bugnet. 5x7 poly tarp. Knotted rope and those heavy steel links that came with the hammock for suspension. Used a sleeping bag I had and a trimmed down blue ccf pad for insulation. I was so nervous the whole setup would crash to the ground. I could feel the earth spinning beneath me. Lake Michigan was roaring in the background. There may have been skinny dipping. It was a great trip and got me hooked on hammock camping.

20130803_212249.jpg

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly / Hamarak
    Insulation
    HG/WM
    Suspension
    Cinch/Dutch
    Images
    XLC

Superfly w/pole mod

20 Incubator

20 Burrow

Done

Hammock
    Lesovik Draka + many more
    Tarp
    Superfly + alot
    Insulation
    Quilts Tq+Uq
    Suspension
    Woopiesling
    Images
    My first set up stood off.

I cheep tarp from the local "home depo" that's what i think you guys use over there.
    A amazon mosquito travaler, is was back when hammocks wasn't out on the market in Denmark. Så that was what i could get my hands of.
    I marmut inflatable pad
    and my gamut summer sleeping bag.

i Used this setup 3 times.
    Once to try the hammock, and BOOOOM! a got bid by the bug.
    vent home, online - forum this forum. and after two days i ordered my Wbbb.
    The next two times i used the traveler was in the waiting time between ordering and recivind my bb.

More and better gear soon comes after the BB.

And now i'm satestfaied with my setup, - for now.

Hammock
    DreamHammock DangerBird
    Tarp
    DIY sil HexCat
    Insulation
    Sorting it out
    Suspension
    loops and toggles
    My VERY first time was in October of 83 in Germany while on ReForGer. One of my units' many issued items was a piece of netting with about a 1" weave. We called them yeti nets. Cold, rainy weather. Hung it with 550 cord, put an intermediate bag in it, threw a poncho over top and slept like a corpse. Never forgot the comfort. Fast forward 20 years - can't carry enough ibuprofen anymore to ward off the ache's from tent camping with the kids and remembered that first hang in Germany. Got an ENO double, draped some bug netting over a paracord ridgeline and slept like a baby. When it rained I just threw a poncho on top of me. Enjoyed it so much that I slept in it for 4 straight months in the basement. Finally got tired of diddling around and "making do" with the insects and rain (plus a little more spending money with the kids grown) and ordered a DangerBird a couple of weeks ago. Now I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas! Have I finally arrived?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123