DIY Gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY 7x7
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Zippers or Velcro

I couldnt find anything, maybe im just slow. Which is lighter, zippers or velcro?? I have an idea (probably not new) of making a modular system using zippers or velcro to attach underquilts, overquilts, bug nets, and a sock(2 piece top and bottom) by making them all approx the same size and putting on whatever i think i need for the conditions. underquilt and sock on bottom in rain, bugnet on top in summer.... I contemplated using 3/4 or 1 inch omnitape on the hammock sides and finding or cutting 1/4 in for the attachments so I could put more than one on at a time when needed. Or should I plan on using zippers. What do you all think??

Hammock
    a modified tent
    Tarp
    blue construction
    Insulation
    body fat
    Suspension
    purple tow straps
    Images
    not all zippers are created equally so it would fall onto what zippers you were planning on using.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hmm...not all trees are the same distance apart, so unless you're way better than I am (possible!!), you won't duplicate exactly the same "hang" each time. That would make zippers (more consistent attachment system) perhaps less than perfect for some hangs. Velcro would be more adjustable and therefore to be preferred over zippers. I notice that most UQ type insulation items use some sort of ADJUSTABLE suspension...either bungee, cord-locks or both. I suspect that is because the adjustability is important to make them work well (without air gaps, etc.).

Then again, try what you think might work. That's how new stuff gets discovered/adopted!!
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Trying to make a modular system as I imagine would be extremely difficult using zippers. Making bugnet that zips off completely has its own unique challenges having to do with the use of separating zippers in a lengths that are extremely difficult, if not impossible to find. Trying to make a system where you could zip on different underquilts and that kind of modular system would require not only separating zippers in lengths difficult if not impossible to find but also matching zipper halves to make sure you can line up the zippers properly. So they would have to be identical manufacturers, size and lengths. If that's the kind of modular flexibility you want do yourself a big favor and stay with velcro or omni-tape. IMO it would be much less hassle and head ache.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY 7x7
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'm using a ridgeline so I think the hang will be close most of the time. I'm trying to get the weight down, my wife has back issues thanks to uncle sam and the Army so I'm the pack mule, and the Army teaches redundency to the max with a backup plan. Last time out for a short experimental trip (overnight) I had 66 pounds, yes i said 66. That was including food and water obviously, for me, her, and the 2 boys (the boys carried their own sleeping system and water). In some areas I don't mind the weight but I'm working on it. I got a scale to start with. The tenative plan was to make 2 DIY gathered ends to sleep in with quilts and such but the wife has started sleeping in mine with me, more snuggle time. I guess that cuts the number of quilts in half, but makes them a little wider. I was planning on 42x84 for the top and bottom but may have to go 48x84 or larger. the same basic plan for top and bottom so they'er interchangeable. Ill use the tape measure and guess from there. I'm kind of waiting on the down sale and am thinking about 2 each of 1 1/2in and a 2 1/2 in quilts. I think the zippers would be to hard but i just needed a few more opinions on my plans.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY 7x7
    Insulation
    Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I think I may have her hooked on hanging, it doesnt hurt her back as much. She drug me out last night to sleep in the back yard.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnurlenj View Post
    I think the zippers would be to hard but i just needed a few more opinions on my plans.
    Personally I think a properly made and attached underquilt is modular enough without any kind of quilt to hammock fastening device. If you can get to a group hang take a look at the commercial items available. The vast majority of the full length quilts just attach head and foot and if they need tensioning that is done with a shock cord or bungee type channel along the side. There are some side channel suspension systems for the half quilts available but I believe they are integral to the quilt and not to the hammock.

The whole concept of hammocks is essentially modular and except for specialty itmes sold by their respective vendors most do not have a any fancy attachment system. The ones that do are usually available in the brand specific style and the "universal" style. Anything made by HH is an exception to this because of the bottom entry and the fact that it is really suited for only the HH design. I don;t know if anyone has tried a Super Shelter on a non-HH hammock. I have no idea if it would work or not.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I have no problem with velcro... however, my two nights in a used Speer demonstrated one problem. The hammock is relatively narrow, and a couple of times my head or elbow pushed the netting, and tore off a foot or so of velcro. No big deal, but it won't happen with a zipper.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MacEntyre View Post
    a couple of times my head or elbow pushed the netting, and tore off a foot or so of velcro. No big deal, but it won't happen with a zipper.
    Don't count on it... instead the zipper tape can rip off which is not really a field repairable problem. This ihas happened on more than one occasion with the Skeeter Beeter at least. Particularly on the narrow type hammocks.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Don't count on it... instead the zipper tape can rip off ...
    I wasn't pushing hard enough for that... barely hard enough to part the velcro.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast