Hammock
    Dutch 11ft 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Diy 12x10 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S UQ
    Suspension
    Diy Whoopies

Synthetic insulation and Calendered fabric?

So im looking at making a UQ on the cheap for a friend who is currently using a pad for insulation. I have insulation and most all the little bits and pieces I need (gotta get some shock cord) to make a 3/4 UQ but i just realized all the fabric I was planning on using is just 1.9oz ripstop from Ripstopbytheroll. I know you have to use calendered fabric when using Down but do you have to use calendered for a synthetic UQ? I was planning on making this thing basically for free and just using what I have but I realized im not sure if regular old 1.9oz ripstop with contain the Synthetic insulation I have. Anyone on here know?

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Diy 12x10 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S UQ
    Suspension
    Diy Whoopies
    So from what I can tell the only benefit fabrics with a calendered side have is they are much more wind resistant then just plain old ripstop. I have to put an order in with Dutch for some shock cord, and a few other little things I have been needing for a few other projects I have going on so I was thinking about getting 2 yards of his black Argon 90 to make the shell out of and then making the inner liner out of some nice Dark blue 1.9oz ripstop from ripstopbytheroll that I have. My thinking is that this would allow me to get the more wind resistant quality on the shell of the Quilt and still keep it a very cheap and simple project. Sound good?
    Last edited by randomsteve95370; 05-11-2015 at 23:09.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Primaloft has fibers fine enough to need downproof fabric, I'm told. Continuous strand synthetics, like Climashield, probably don't.

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by randomsteve95370 View Post
    So from what I can tell the only benefit fabrics with a calendered side have is they are much more wind resistant then just plain old ripstop. I have to put an order in with Dutch for some shock cord, and a few other little things I have been needing for a few other projects I have going on so I was thinking about getting 2 yards of his black Argon 90 to make the shell out of and then making the inner liner out of some nice Dark blue 1.9oz ripstop from ripstopbytheroll that I have. My thinking is that this would allow me to get the more wind resistant quality on the shell of the Quilt and still keep it a very cheap and simple project. Sound good?
    That's the reasoning I used on my last UQ. Although I didn't use 1.9 on the inside, I was making one to sell and went with the lighter 1.1 oz. The 1.9 oz. wouldn't be a problem at all. The calendered fabric is much more wind resistant for the outer shell which I like. You friend should be very pleased it.
    11' hammocks made in the USA!
    Don't you wanna GEAUX?
    www.geauxhammockgear.com

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Diy 12x10 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S UQ
    Suspension
    Diy Whoopies
    Cool thanks guys for the reassurance. My order has been put in with Dutch for 2 yards of his black Argon 90 so hopefully it won't take to long to get that and then I should be able to start on the quilt!

Hammock
    GEAUX Hammock
    Tarp
    GEAUX Dry Tarp
    Insulation
    GEAUX Warm UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    It may be in your mailbox already. Dutch is pretty quick on the shipping
    11' hammocks made in the USA!
    Don't you wanna GEAUX?