Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out

Getting into DIY.. should I get a rolled hem presser foot?

I'm in the design and planning stages of my DIY projects. I have noticed that almost every sewing project that relates to hammocking utilizes a rolled hem. Some of them require a substantial rolled hem (tarps and hammock bodies)

I have been practicing with my thread injector and started looking for easier and more efficient ways to create the rolled hem. I have only made practice stuff sacks from scrap cotton and such so far.

I have noticed some people are using rolled hem presser feet and I'm not going to lie, it seems they will simplify the process a bunch and give a much cleaner, professional look. I don't mind spending a little money on "tools" if it creates a better product.

Should I invest in one?

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    My answer would be no but sure go for it. You're never gonna know if it's for you until you try one. In my opinion because I have several sizes of them is that they works sometimes, depending on the size of the hem and type of fabric. Also, once you get material started into it, you can get a very nice even hem but, getting clean, even hemmed corners can be a real pain. Also, once you get the feel for rolling your own hem it will go much faster than you think. You can also iron the hem into your fabric first which will help you lay it down into place while sewing.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I have never used one and don't see the need for DIY projects. The time it could save, in the right hands, would be worthwhile for a commercial operation that sews all day. Of course, it wouldn't harm anything either.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    With some practice hand rolling a hem is pretty. The presser foot I find pretty fiddly. I passed on it.

Hammock
    HH Ultralight Explorer
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, Diy UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I also passed on the rolled hem foot. The Internet apparently has a lot of swear words about those feet.

I folded my tarp hem once, sewed it, then folded again and sewed it. I got two lines of stitching and a nice look.

Hammock
    DIY / Half-wit / WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ WD
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I don't think a special rolled hem foot is necessary. I bought one for my wife's sewing machine and have since inherited an older early 70s Montgomery Ward machine which it won't fit on. I discovered that with a bit of practice and pinning the hem before sewing, rolled hems are not that scary or hard to make and look professional.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    I'm going to let you in on a little secret I discovered recently.

There was a company called Greist which made sewing machine attachments (feet) in the early to mid 20th century. Greist was contracted by Singer, and other machine manufacturers to design and produce a variety of attachment's. They also produced attachment's under there own name. Many modern feet are based off, or direct copies of, the Greist designs.

You can find "vintage" packages of Greist (or singer, or etc) attachment's on Etsy and Ebay for about $10-20. These set's are often jumbled. My set came with 3 rolled hemmer feet (1/4", 3/8", 3/4" I think), narrow hemmer foot (1/8"), gathering foot, ruffler, 1/4" double fold binder, zipper foot, hem guide (not really useful unless your machine has attachment mounts), edge stitcher, and importantly the attachment foot (this is used to quick swap many, but not all of the attachments. It's used with the hemmer feet). The set's are similar to THIS, but not $50.

They made attachment's for a variety of machines, so be sure you get the correct shank type. A lot of set's are the "double fork" style which wont work with any modern machine, so beware of that. Many set's will also be mixed (for instance my set was supposed to be short shank, but it came with 2 binder's, one which is a long shank, and the ruffler in my set ended up being a long shank).

From a usefulness stand point here's my opinion:
    1) The 3 larger hemmer feet are AMAZING. I'm very good at rolling a hem by hand already, but with these I can tear through sewing a hem very fast. They had a small learning curve, so practice for a bit on scrap fabric (it's easy not to feed enough, and the rolled over portion doesn't get sewn under). I highly suggest learning to roll by hand before you try to use a hem foot, however. It's a good skill to have.
    2) The zipper foot is adjustable, if you don't already have one it's a great addition to your set.
    3) I can see a use for a ruffler when making differential quilts, but haven't had a chance to test it because it doesn't fit my machine
    4) The gathering foot could also be useful, and is easy to use. Tension adjustments vary how much is gathered.

I have't found a use for the binder (1/4" finished is too small. This is meant for quilting), edge stitcher, or narrow hemmer foot (again, too small, and difficult to guide with light fabric)

All in all, worth the $13 I spent, and I'm going to see if I can exchange the ruffler for a low shank if the seller still has one.

Here's a link to the manual for the feet: http://www.sil.si.edu/DigitalCollect.../sil10-215.pdf It's an interesting read, just to see the attitude behind sewing at the time.
    Last edited by Boston; 05-12-2015 at 10:24.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I bought one for my machine and tried it for a bit, made more work than it was worth. Got pretty good doing it by hand so I stuck with that

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    DIY
    Images
    Other than the old Greist guides mentioned by Boston above, the only thing that consistently works for me is this:

www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/75680-DIY-Grosgrain-and-Rolled-Hem-Guides

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I've never gotten the )*%$ thing to work for me. More trouble than they are worth and IMO not a suitable implement for a beginning stitcher. It only complicates the learning curve. Some people swear by them but I just swear at them and I am no beginner.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast