Tarp for Two - Dutch's Double Hammock Whoopie Hook

I am new to hanging, my wife and I backpack and plan to try out the hammocks rather than our trustee ground system. I want to make a tarp to use over two hammocks on two trees with Dutch's double hammock whoopie hooks. My spreader is 35" wide. Will a 10' wide tarp do for this? I am planning on a 12' ridgline, 5' side panels cat cut and door closures on both ends. I will install some pull outs, two per side, but when staked (as oposed to tied on trees) these don't seem to help much. Thanks for any tips.

Jon
    Last edited by surveywaters; 05-12-2015 at 06:59.

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11"
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I recently used a homemade (drop cloth) square 11" x 10" tarp without issue. I was with the girlfriend in a very close 3 tree configuration. I am about to order a spreader bar since I just received our double whoopie hook suspensions. I haven't quite yet decided on a long term tarp solution, but my cheap DIY has lasted over a year without failure.

I think your specific sizing will be a matter of preference of weight vs coverage. Do you want to hang out under it in porch mode or just sleep?

Likely, porch mode will be used at times dependent on weather conditions. I just ordered my silpoly from RBSR, 15yd of it. I am thinking that I'll end up with 7' sides now. I am concerned that I'll end up over doing it, I have a history of that. There are two reasons for the switch from a ground system. One is comfort, tired of sliding on uneven setups, the other is weight and I think this may be tough.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My wife and I backpack and have been through a couple of good rainstorms using a 12' x 10' tarp with doors. We always hang side by side, she won't have it any other way!
    My head is an animal