Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbige + Snivler
    Suspension
    Speed hooks

Still have PolyD 1.2 hammocks?

Looking to get another one - I just ripped mine last weekend.

I don't see the 1.2 mentioned as an option on the "netless hammocks" page, but it is an option on the "half wit" page. Could I request it in the "notes" section? Or am I just gonna have to toughen up, and carry the extra few grams of the 1.4?

I set up when we got to camp, and left it flapping like a sail in the wind. When we got back and I sat down in it, something in the suspension slipped, and I dropped down. So I re-adjust that side of the suspension, but when I sat down again it was just ripping. Surprised that stuff holds me up, seeing how it tears like tissue when there's a rip in it. I suspect it was the kevlar in the adutchables that came loose (else I hadn't put it on right to begin with); I also have speed hooks on there. Ended up using the hammock as a ground cloth and sleeping on the grass. Knew I shoulda brought a pad, in case I wanted to go to ground. Not sure what to do with the remains of the hammock - two 5ft hammocks for my daughter? Moral of the story: check and hand-tighten the suspension of a hammock you've left before sitting back down in it?

Hammock
    Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbige + Snivler
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Sleeping on the ground turns out to be kind of neat: you have all this space around you to set your stuff.
    On the minus side, I found a tick on my back when I got back.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    You can put in the notes and order from the netless page. I have black, brown, red and yellow 1.2 polyD.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    11ft
    Tarp
    DIY or Bullfrog
    Insulation
    TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bug
    So despite having the 1.2 rip on you, you're wanting to get another instead of upping to 1.4 at the cost of a few oz?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I think k the community would be interested in what caused the rip. Did you leave a knife or your car keys in a pocket, or do you think the hammock was simply overloaded. If the latter, would you mind reporting what that load was?
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I was under the impression it got a hole when his suspension let loose
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit and 20 others
    Tarp
    HG 12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    All of them
    Sadly, I managed to rip my red PolyD 1.2 as well. My only guess is that I may have inadvertently pinched the wire tie inside the channel with the loops that I larks headed on there, and perhaps that caused some abrasion that got the ball rolling? Just a guess. On my last White Mountains trip, I set it up and sat in it a few times around camp without issue. Then later that night while laying in it, I felt a slipping feeling and a sudden drop of maybe an inch or two, which I attributed to my suspension slipping on the tree at the time. The next morning I saw some material had been pulled through the larks head, but still not realizing it was ripped, I threw it in my pack and headed home.

It wasn't until I was home that I saw it was ripped right at the channel and the wire tie was broken (going back to my theory). I just put the larks head further down below the blown out channel and actually managed to use it for another overnighter in Virginia, but later at home I went to sit on it and whooosh, butt on the ground. It ripped clean across a couple inches below were the loops were attached. I'm thinking the that the sharp end of the broken wire tie probably caused some other abrasions that I failed to identify. My lesson from this - the UL fabrics are great, but if there's ever any sign of issues, I should just retire them immediately. I keep thinking about how mad at myself I would have been if I hit the ground out in the field instead of at home, haha.

Again, I just want to stress that my thought is that I wasn't vigilant with my set-up, not that the PolyD 1.2 was faulty. But like the OP said, once this stuff gets a tear, it really gets going, much like tissue paper. I'll probably experiment with what's left of mine as a gear storage hammock or something. I'm also in the habit of removing the wire tie now, regardless of whether I'm using the channel or just throwing a loop on the outside.
    I'm that guy from YouTube that likes to walk around in the woods and talk to a camera... Check me out on Youtube, Sintax77.com, Twitter or Facebook

Hammock
    Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbige + Snivler
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Yeah; maybe being a little silly just ordering another one, but if it happens again, I'd probably upgrade the thickness. It's served me well otherwise during "normal" use. There was sudden drop / slip in the suspension when I sat down. Wasn't paying attention to exactly how far it went down. Maybe it hit something sharp on the ground? Or maybe if it stopped me right before the ground, that sudden jolt of stopping me was too much pressure for it? Polyester certainly doesn't have the stretchy give for arresting falls that nylon does. If it was arresting my fall with a jerk that did it in, I'll be careful not to jump on the thing. I'm 195 lbs, by the way.

Hammock
    Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbige + Snivler
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Maybe I'm being a little silly worrying about weight, when most of my camping has been by bike, kayak, or car, lately.

Hammock
    Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbige + Snivler
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    To clarify: the suspension slipped a foot or so (either I hit the ground or the sewn end of the kevlar tree strap caught in the adutchable clip), and then there was a rip. The hammock didn't contribute to the suspension slipping (besides maybe yanking it back and forth from blowing in the wind).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast