Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Dream Hammock stopped selling single layer 1.0 and 1.1 ounce hammocks because folks didn't know how to handle them with care. I obviously am one of those idiots; I've gone through a couple of 1.1 ounce hammocks and have no intention of buying a disposable hammock again.

While the 1.2 PolyD is nominally stronger, it's still not something I'm liable to try. I've had good luck with my PolyD 1.4 hammock so far.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbige + Snivler
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    I'd think a 1.1 oz nylon would be stronger than a 1.2 oz polyester? Especially against jumping up and down on - nylon's a stronger and stretchier material.
    I guess my excuse for not upgrading to 1.4oz right now is that: I'm not sure if catching me from a drop of a foot or two is something a hammock can normally be expected to handle, like I don't know if a 1.4oz would hold up either during those situations.
    Maybe I could get a swatch of 1.4oz and do some strength comparisons?

Hammock
    Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbige + Snivler
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sintax77 View Post
    I'll probably experiment with what's left of mine as a gear storage hammock or something.
    If you just tore out the end-channel, could you re-sew that as a shorter hammock, or just tie a knot in it and and larks head the rope on that?

Hammock
    Dutch Half-Wit and 20 others
    Tarp
    HG 12' Dyneema Hex
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    All of them
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxleif View Post
    If you just tore out the end-channel, could you re-sew that as a shorter hammock, or just tie a knot in it and and larks head the rope on that?
    Well, that's what I figured the first time, but somehow it still failed at second location even further down the body after a few more uses, so I think I may have pushed my luck with this one enough already

But, yes, the thought has crossed my mind to just inspect it thoroughly and convert it into a 9.5' hammock.
    I'm that guy from YouTube that likes to walk around in the woods and talk to a camera... Check me out on Youtube, Sintax77.com, Twitter or Facebook

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft 1.6 Argon
    Tarp
    Diy 12x10 Silpoly
    Insulation
    Jarbridge 3S UQ
    Suspension
    Diy Whoopies
    Well, that's what I figured the first time, but somehow it still failed at second location even further down the body after a few more uses, so I think I may have pushed my luck with this one enough already

But, yes, the thought has crossed my mind to just inspect it thoroughly and convert it into a 9.5' hammock.
    Could always convert it into a bunch of nice stuff sacks, bishop bags, maybe even a set of snake skins. :P

Hammock
    Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Jarbige + Snivler
    Suspension
    Speed hooks
    Did an experiment: With the strap on one hand, and a finger of my other hand through the hook of the adutchable clip, I tried shaking it when there was no tension on it. It seems possible to shake the end of the strap out of the end of the clip when it's slack. The strap will slide under load at that point. The opening of that "hook" part keeping the strap in there could be narrower, but that might be more inconvenient, as you have to pull the straps in and out of there when you adjust. Could also leave off that opening altogether, making you pull the strap out and re-thread it through to adjust. Seems a little less likely using the thicker, stiffer "regular" straps instead of the kevlar straps. At least the kevlar straps have that sewn end on that supported my weight - don't have to worry about the clip being too close to the end of the strap, there. Also, I don't think this will happen if you have to clip close to the end of the strap; seems to need some loose strap material flailing around to get pulled out. Also, if the main opening of the clip is down, e.g. gravity is helping it stay on the opposing strap, then the opening for the extra strap length will be pointing up, and gravity will help keep the excess strap length in the clip. It seems designed to be oriented this way; I wasn't able to shake the strap loose when that part of the clip was pointing up. So I can make sure they're oriented that way from now on. I could also leave some stuff in my hammock to weight it, or just take it down, if I'm going to be leaving it in the wind. Probably best to hand-check the tension first when I get back, in any case.

Hammock
    Boone ShellHammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber w/d
    Insulation
    HG Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Cintch Buckles

After I tore a PloyD1.2 twice, I ordered some NylonD 1.6 to make two 11ft hammocks, no complaints so far.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12