Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    whichever works!
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Welcome! My 2 cents, as I'm still a hammocking newbie - i had your exact same dillema about 2 months ago. HH or BB? Close to your height/weight - 6'0", 205lb. I elected for the blackbird double 1.7 with the tarp that Brandon (the guy who makes the blackbird) sold as an add-on. Total cost under $300 for the hammock and tarp. Have had it out a few times, and i love it. The double-layer lets me put my old thermarest under there for a few extra degrees warmth perfectly. IMO one of my best backpacking gear choices. So, no, I personally have no experience with a HH, but I elected this road and have regrets.
    Do or do not; there is no try - Yoda
    We're on a mission from God - Elwood Blues

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    not feel closed in in very important to me...
    One thing I have heard about the HH, which I do not experience, is a feeling of claustrophobia because of the attached bug net. No problem for me. There is a retro fit service available to do a zipper mod for the HH but even as inexpensive as it is, it adds to the initial cost if you want a movable bug net. If you know you are going to buy another tarp in the first place then the full package of the HH is not much of a price saver.

Entry points.... the HH has a bottom entry. A slit in the bottom of the hammock opens up for the user to slide in and out. That is a feature unique to the HH and it is the reason for my use of the HH hammock in the field. My home sleeper is a top loader and I can't get out of it without assistance lines. No such issue with the HH. If that is ot an issue then all sorts of other options open up for you.

I have never tried a Black Bird simply because of my past experience with top/side loaders. If you want to use a pad as opposed to some other kind of bottom insulation then, of the two, the Warbonnet is by far the superior choice in the gathered end style of hammock. Simply because it is available in a double layer configuration. Once again I have the HH Super Shelter which I really like, but I am locked to the bottom entry and si it makes sense.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    As someone who has had a Hennessy and moved on to a BB due to claustrophobic tendencies, I am a fan of BB. I like the suspension better as well - while you can retrofit the HH, I didn't have the time or ability to do so effectively.

I started with pads, and while pads are certainly better in a hammock than they are on the ground, they will never be as comfortable as a good underquilt. I toss, turn and sleep on my side equally well without the pad. What a pad does is spread the hammock flatter when you are not in it - any inflatable needs to be half inflated to be comfortable, and will not remain flat when you are on it. You wouldn't want it to.

Having a layer of fabric between you and the pad is more comfortable especially for quilt users. If you use a sleeping bag as a sleeping bag you'll have that, however, using a sleeping bag can be clumsy - it's easier to put it on like clothing and then get in the hammock, or unzip and use it for a quilt. You can have a pad in a single layer but some pads are harder to control or stay on - the pocket will keep it stable.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Lots of people are back and forth about a pad in the hammock. I don't like it much my self, but I tend to like to roll a bit during the night, side to side, to back to half side. and with a pad it wants to shift our from under me. Under quilts are a lot more comfortable and less of an issue with moving in the hammock.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    and another thing i just looked at the WB site and because i tetter on weighing 210-220 wont I have to get a double layer
    No. I've got you beat by about 15-20 lbs and I have a single layer hammock (WB Traveler) made from the same 1.7 fabric as what is used on the 1.7 Blackbirds. Very comfortable! Any stretch is minimal and I don't notice it.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    also cant you just put your pad inside your hammock with out a double layer does that work
    You can, but it's more likely to move around. The double layer helps keep the pad in place, and also puts a layer of fabric between you and the pad, which can help a little bit with sweating.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    and another thing i just looked at the WB site and because i tetter on weighing 210-220 wont I have to get a double layer
    For very flat at your weight, Brandon recommends a double, but in your case a double 1.1 will do it. I'm 190 and find that a single 1.7 is plenty flat. A double 1.1 is only a couple of ounces more than a single 1.7.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I have a 1.7 double layer Warbonnet Blackbird (WBBB) hammock and I love it. It's the only hammock I've owned and is probablly the only hammock I'll ever need. A pad in between layers works just fine but an under quilt (UQ) is more comfy. I'd use it with a pad and your sleeping bag to see if you like it, you can always upgrade to a UQ later. I have the Claytor Diamond Fly as a tarp. It is $50 including shipping and It's fine for a summer tarp and inexpensive but, I wish I'd bought a speer winter tarp, it's more versital. I'm one more vote for a WBBB .
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    BillyBob,
    You are a true hammock junkie!
    You love them all equally!
    Well, maybe not equally, but close! Truth is I have several that I tend to pick over my original HH. But when I look back with nostalgia on my first two week long hammock trips in my HH ( when I didn't know any better ) and think about how the glorious nights sleep now became one of the most fun parts on the trip, while I camped over sloping rocky ground, how can I completely reject my old love? It just wouldn't be right!

Plus, I am occasionally still partial to my old SS just for fun and a contrarian approach ( at least it use to be for sure), and I can only use that with my HH.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    wow we wooozers im placing my order for my warbonnet (not sure which one yet on October 17 as a 30th b day present to my self....i

1. If I use an under quilt is a sleeping bag neccessary

Im gonna shop around for a tarp to see what i can find....also id probally put money into a warmer bag then a quilt bc when me and my GF go camping it will be in our tent that we carry toogether and no way will she sleep in a hammock she wont even consider it...mabey once i get my WB and she tries it out she will be jelous and want one too...thank you so so so much every ones repply was so supper helpful

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast