Hammock length advice for short man buying dutch hammock

Hey, how's it hangin? I'm looking for my first hammock setup and I'm considering buying one of Dutch's NylonD 1.6 single layer hammocks. My main question is, I'm 5' 5" (150 lbs if it matters) and so it seems that an 11' hammock may be long for me since people >6' are comfy in 11' hammocks. What are your recommendations for hammock length, and would Dutch upcharge for a shorter hammock?

Second question (let me know if I should throw this in suspension) is that I'm from Seattle, WA (if it matters) and am considering buying Dutch's whoopie hook suspension, and I was wondering what your thoughts were regarding 4' vs 5' tree huggers.

Thanks!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow : SLD
    Tarp
    HG : SLD
    Insulation
    HG : SLD : WB
    I'm 5' even and I have the 11' nylonD from Dutch and love it. The only other two hammocks I have used was a skeeter beeter pro from grand trunk and an eno doublenest. I've haven't laid in a 10' 10.5' hammock but I love the 11' and have no plans on getting anything shorter

Images
    I'm 5'3" and am comfortable in hammocks 9-10'. (P.S. get the 5' tree straps).

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    0 Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    You'd have to check with Dutch but there's a thread on here where he stated that he was standardizing his sizes so that he could carry inventory a little more easily and not have so many size and colour options on his shelves. He did say he was looking at having a charge for downsizing at the time but I think it was only a few bucks. If you are serious, you should send him an email and see what he says .. he might still have some shorter hammocks on the shelves.

I'm 6'3" so I can't comment on how comfy you'd be in a shorter hammock. Mine is 11' and I love it.

Thanks guys. I emailed Dutch a week ago but still haven't heard back so I just placed my order for the 11 and in the comments asked if 10' was an option...

Hammock
    10' Dutch Argon1.6
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Golite20/Phoenix20
    Suspension
    WS,Dutch,Litesmith
    I have the 10' Argon 1.6. It works great for me at 5'6" 130lbs. I have been in a few 11's and they are awesome but not necessary I feel if you are under 5'9" from what I've read.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I'm 5'-11" and comfortable in a 9.5' UL hammock.

But I'm generally a content and happy person that can read himself to sleep at night.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I have a 9.5 and an 11 ft hammock, my wife who is 5-5in still prefers the lay options of the 11ft one, but not to say that the 9.5 is uncomfortable she just has more comfort options with the extra fabric.

Hammock
    Dutchware 11' Argon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Air pad, for now
    Suspension
    Dutch's whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Stilgar View Post
    Thanks guys. I emailed Dutch a week ago but still haven't heard back so I just placed my order for the 11 and in the comments asked if 10' was an option...
    Just recently Dutch said he was only carrying 10.5' hammocks standard now. You actually have to pay more for an 11' according to that post. I would think the 10.5' would be the perfect compromise for you, and it would cost less.

Dutch said they did studies, and while people found the 11 foot hammock to be more comfortable than the 10 foot hammock, people couldn't tell the difference between the 10.5 and the 11 foot hammocks. That's why he decided to go with 10.5 feet now, because that seemed to be the perfect size for everyone. Especially at your height, I would think 10.5' would be great.

I'm really surprised you didn't get a quick response via email - they are normally really good at responding quickly to email. Maybe send another email explaining/asking for a phone call, and letting them know to hold off on your order if you aren't sure. They are FAST, so if you aren't sure, tell them NOW!

Best of luck!

• + New Posts