Tarp
    Yukon outfitters
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

tarp with integrated ridge line

Does any body have suggestions on how to permanently attach/leave the ridge line on my tarp? I currently have it intagrated and use mini biniers and small whoopies to adjust tension. The whoopies are then attached to the whoopies that are attached to the hammock using a pursik so I can slide up or down to raise and lower the tarp. I leave the small tarp whoopies on the hammock suspension when I pack up.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    My first suggestion would be to separate the tarp from your hammock suspension, then get rid of the whoopies on your tarp ridgeline. Since you're already using lines on either end of your tarp, choose a line for the purpose (lash it, zing it, lawson equipment's cord, etc.), decide how you want to attach it ( prusik and carabiners you already have Dutch hardware, etc.), and leave it on the tarp when you pack up.

You're in the right spot, keep looking through the posts in this section of the forum until you find a method you like. Also, check out the ultimate hang website, and of course Shug's videos. He has a bunch on tarps, you'll enjoy them I'm sure!

Come on back with any unanswered questions, everybody here loves to help out.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    There are lots of ways to rig a tarp. And they all work. So it is just what you know or prefer. But each way has its pros and cons. Some set-ups are convoluted, having a Rube Goldberg effect that is costly, adds unwanted weight and bulk and/or is slow to set-up. I am about to make a video on this topic. Ultra light hikers tend to use a split ridge line with knots and or Dutch bling. I use a continuous ridge line that is attached to the tarp loops all the time. It's held with a prusik and larks head on both ends of the tarp. The first side is easy--apply 5wrap prusik loop to ridge line then larks head that loop to tarp loop. To complete the larks head you have to pull whole tarp line through the larks head. That is the easy side. To do the other side. Apply a continuos loop with a 5wrap prusik to a spare piece of cord(a shoe string length and different color are easiest). Then larks head that loop onto other end at tarp loop. You will have to pull the prusik and shoe string through the larks head. Now loosen the prusik and thread or trace tarp line through the prusik following the shoe string. Now remove the shoe string and your tarp is attached to your ridge line with NO HARDWARE. Then you can decide what way to attach line to trees. Knots, hardware or my new way with no knots and no hardware. Video is not made yet. Good luck husker14.

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads

tarp with integrated ridge line

I will offer this to the mix. Many ideas within. My current ridge line is a continuous with a Dutch hook and a wasp.
    http://youtu.be/kZEeWGJk1f8
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Hello, Husker14, from another Nebraskan.
    I keep my ridgeline attached to my tarp using Dutch tarp biners attached to UCR's (ridgeline and UCR's made of Zing-it). When ready to pack up the extra line is coiled up inside small pockets incorporated into my tarp sleeves.
    Pantom Grappler - neat way to keep things to a minimum. When I set up my tarp suspension I thought I would want the option of using the same ridgeline for different tarps or different configurations. Since it seems I don't ever do that I could probably eliminate my tarp biners.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Husker14. SILVRSURFR used soft shackle prusik to attach tarp to ridge line. This will stay attached until you want to remove and that will be easy. I don't know if Dutch sells soft shackles but I think you can buy them. Silver Surfer has great ideas on hammock camping.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Soft shackle prusiks aren't my idea, but they work. Whoopie slings for tensioning a tarp ridgeline don't work. There's always somebody who says they do, but they aren't designed for that application and whoopies just weren't meant to be adjusted under that amount of tension.

I also agree you should have a separate tarp ridgeline rather than attaching it to the hammock suspension. Hennessy tarps attach to the hammock ridgeline, and it sucks. Derek Hansen decided to solve that problem by using shock cord, but to me, that just makes it suck in a different way.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Yukon outfitters
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    please let me know when it is. This is what I'm shooting for THANKS

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Yukon outfitters
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Thanks all

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey feller....here is some tarp intel that may give some insight.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast