Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwg View Post
    Update -- we backpacked in the Grayson Highlands/Mr Rogers area last weekend. We found two excellent hanging spots. Both are marked on the map attached. First night was on the crest near the water source (just north by about 50 yards of our camping spot for night 1), and the second was just north of Wise Shelter. About 75 yards from our camping spot on the second night is a creek, and immediately across that creek are several meadows surrounded by hardwoods. Beautiful camping and hanging spots. We estimate well over 100 hammocks could hang in that area.

Bryan

P.S. While the hanging spot for us on night 1 on the crest was excellent, there are many landmines there placed by ponies and cows. Very nasty after a rain.

Good stuff. The first campsite is where we spent night two. I can see the two trees I was attached to. I'm surprised you got 10 people hung up out there though.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    I am heading up to Grayson this weekend. I intended to hike up the AT counter clockwise to Scales, and hang along the AT somewhere between Crest Trail and Cherry Orchard. I was under the impression there were suitable trees for hanging. This thread now has me worried. Can anyone comment on the ability to hang up there (or anywhere above the Scales)?

Quote Originally Posted by WeWalked View Post
    I am heading up to Grayson this weekend. I intended to hike up the AT counter clockwise to Scales, and hang along the AT somewhere between Crest Trail and Cherry Orchard. I was under the impression there were suitable trees for hanging. This thread now has me worried. Can anyone comment on the ability to hang up there (or anywhere above the Scales)?

See map in post 9. About 1.5 to 2 miles counterclockwise from scales are spots.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Webbing
    There are several good spot just about .5 mile north of Thomas Knob shelter , you can always go to the spring by the shelter for water. I was just there this past weekend for the first time. I will be going back !

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    See map in post 9. About 1.5 to 2 miles counterclockwise from scales are spots.
    Thanks! I saw the map but I was hoping there were some verified spots a little closer to scales because i was hoping to have a shorter first day due to time constraints. I guess I'll just do the extra two miles on the first day if needs be.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    There are several good spot just about .5 mile north of Thomas Knob shelter , you can always go to the spring by the shelter for water. I was just there this past weekend for the first time. I will be going back !
    Thanks! Really looking forward to this trip. Was it busy up there?

Images

By Cherry Orchard I assume you mean Old Orchard.
    I can only recall one established site along the AT between Scales and the intersection with Pine Mountain Trail
    I haven't been past that intersection towards Old Orchard.

There are quite a few sites along Pine Mountain Trail but if you go to the area BWG is suggesting you have the spring right there too.

The hike from there back to the parking lot is only about 90 minutes or so heading down Wilburn Ridge.

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    By Cherry Orchard I assume you mean Old Orchard.
    I can only recall one established site along the AT between Scales and the intersection with Pine Mountain Trail
    I haven't been past that intersection towards Old Orchard.

There are quite a few sites along Pine Mountain Trail but if you go to the area BWG is suggesting you have the spring right there too.

The hike from there back to the parking lot is only about 90 minutes or so heading down Wilburn Ridge.
    I did in fact mean Old Orchard. Not sure why I typed Cherry Orchard since I was looking at the map as I posted. Thanks for the info! We do plan to hike down the Pine Mountain trail to Wilburn Ridge. Will likely wind up camping along it.

Thanks! I saw the map but I was hoping there were some verified spots a little closer to scales because i was hoping to have a shorter first day due to time constraints. I guess I'll just do the extra two miles on the first day if needs be.
    As you leave scales the countryside will be open with many blueberry bushes. It is an uphill walk. As you near the crest, you will see a few trees here and there that could work. I recall one spot I thought looked very nice for one or two hammocks, but still this is about a mile from scales. One problem with these smaller areas will be lack of water. It is no until you get to the point in the map I posted that you find a water source, and there will be many trees for hammocks (about 300 yards counterclockwise from water).

Hammock
    WBBBXLC or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY CSUQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    As you leave scales the countryside will be open with many blueberry bushes. It is an uphill walk. As you near the crest, you will see a few trees here and there that could work. I recall one spot I thought looked very nice for one or two hammocks, but still this is about a mile from scales. One problem with these smaller areas will be lack of water. It is no until you get to the point in the map I posted that you find a water source, and there will be many trees for hammocks (about 300 yards counterclockwise from water).
    Excellent information. Thanks! If you don't mind, about how long (time not miles) is the hike from the scales to your posted spot? I was estimating roughly 1.5-2.5hrs depending on pace.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast