Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    I miss the days when one would tether their SS Sierra cup to the outside of your pack so it would bang against the aluminum external frame.

I miss the days when one would tether their SS Sierra cup to the outside of your pack so it would bang against the aluminum external frame.
    Hahaha, I rarely see anyone hiking in an external frame anymore. I still have mine but its mostly used when I let a friend borrow it.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Assuming you keep a clean camp, don't sweat the bears out west. Its the mountain lions I worry about.
    After coming face to face with a moose in glacier park I would add them also.

On my few hikes in Glacier park we ran into quite a few Rangers. They had good advice on being safe in near country. Keep a clean camp, which also keeps other critters away. Here in the south possums and raccoons can make a mess of camp just not as deadly as bears.

Make noise while hiking. This is actually tougher than I thought. Talk, clap hands, whistle, whatever. One ranger told me he wasn't a fan of bear bells. Said it wasn't human enough and he thought could actually attract a bears curiosity. Not sure if I believed him or not.

After a few days in the park we started to relax more. But started to notice spots where bears or other wildlife may be. I think more experience would help me.

We did see two Grizzlies and one black bear while hiking. But spotted them in time to stop and see them go another direction. Don't be tempted to get close for the money shot. Let them know you are there.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wraith6761 View Post
    Sounds like a nice deal, but you know you don't have to go west for that, right? Places like Shenandoah National Park and Great Smoky Mountains National Park have very healthy bear populations (including at least one in Shenandoah that's quickly becoming a nuisance for stealing food from campsites), and I'm sure the park rangers would be happy to meet up with you and demonstrate methods and skills for responsible hiking/backpacking in bear country.

Either way, I hope you find a way to get that hands-on experience that you're looking for.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkurfiss View Post
    +1 on what Wraith said! I have spend many an hour talking and getting advice from park rangers. Most are very willing to provide you information about the animals in their area, how to avoid them, and how to keep yourself safe.
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will definitely check on the availability of resources/opportunities closer to home, but I was going to plan a trip out west somewhere this year anyway.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions and anecdotes. I very much appreciate it.

Like I used to say to my ex-wife who would accuse me of "thinking about money too much" ... "I think about money so I don't have to worry about money like you do." I guess that's the same approach I'm taking with regard to hiking in bear country. I've read a lot about it, but I'd like to get some real world experience with someone who is diligent about taking the prescribed measures to avoid bad encounters so that I won't have to "worry" about it.
    Last edited by 1csleptonkayak; 05-19-2015 at 11:59.

Hammock
    WBBB, RR, Eno Dn
    Tarp
    WB SF, CB
    Insulation
    WB Mamba, UGQUQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies, D Clips
    I have done some hiking in bear country and never ran into any. Since I don't want nothing to do with them I would do a 180 from there direction. Ticks, chiggers, and snakes are another problem.
    Straight out of Clayton.

Most physical hike: Grandfather Mountain, NC. Aug 13.

I don't need to make my pack lighter. I need to make my (_*_) lighter.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DCJohnson View Post
    Hahaha, I rarely see anyone hiking in an external frame anymore. I still have mine but its mostly used when I let a friend borrow it.
    Ha! I still, too, have my old Kelty external frame pack that I bought used when I lived in Denver in the mid-80s.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon Wide
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly w/door
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 TQ/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    2.2 Kevlar/Turtle
    I had a black bear watching me water the plants at 1 am in the Smokies this weekend. I yelled and clapped my hands for a second and didn't see him again.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by DCJohnson View Post
    The most comfortable pack I have ever used was an external frame Jansport that I removed the pack from, burrito wrapped with my tarp most all my gear, diamond hitched to the frame, affixed a "go bag" made from a gear loft from a tent and tied the bear canister. That was one sweet trip!

Quote Originally Posted by 1csleptonkayak View Post
    Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions and anecdotes. I very much appreciate it.

Like I used to say to my ex-wife who would accuse me of "thinking about money too much" ... "I think about money so I don't have to worry about money like you do." I guess that's the same approach I'm taking with regard to hiking in bear country. I've read a lot about it, but I'd like to get some real world experience with someone who is diligent about taking the prescribed measures to avoid bad encounters so that I won't have to "worry" about it.
    Sorry to make a point of it but I know folks are thinking it... now that she is the "ex-wife" she no longer has to worry about money?? (Smacks self)... ouch, I know and I am sorry
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I think the best way to hike in bear contry is to take someone with you that you know you can out run!.
    But really it's simple basics, keep food in air tight containers so they cant smell it and if you come up on one dont panic ,just change direction and move quickly away.
    (or throw bacon grease on your partner and run)..

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast