Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    DreamHammock
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    School
    I liked this book. It dispels a lot of common fears people have.

http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Be.../dp/1594850283

NOLS and Herrero's books and NPS are good resources as well. Best thing to remember is it's not food management, it's scent management. Some things are a pain in the rear: cooking away from camp, cooking in different clothes, where you spit toothpaste, forgetting a wrapper, proper PCT-hang or fumbling with an awkward canister. Then smells you forget about: toothpaste, beer, fuel, silverware, fishing gear, etc. If you practice the habits even when you don't really need them, you're more likely to use them when you do. No reason you can't start now!

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Montexan View Post
    I liked this book. It dispels a lot of common fears people have.

http://www.amazon.com/Backcountry-Be.../dp/1594850283

NOLS and Herrero's books and NPS are good resources as well. Best thing to remember is it's not food management, it's scent management. Some things are a pain in the rear: cooking away from camp, cooking in different clothes, where you spit toothpaste, forgetting a wrapper, proper PCT-hang or fumbling with an awkward canister. Then smells you forget about: toothpaste, beer, fuel, silverware, fishing gear, etc. If you practice the habits even when you don't really need them, you're more likely to use them when you do. No reason you can't start now!
    Someone on another forum responded similarly by suggesting I start practicing on raccoons. Thanks for the informative response.
    Last edited by 1csleptonkayak; 05-20-2015 at 07:53.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by 1csleptonkayak View Post
    Someone on another forum responded similarly by suggesting I start practicing on raccoons. Thanks for the informative response.
    Camp in the deep south. If you can keep fire ants away you keep a clean camp.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3x3, Noah 12
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by DCJohnson View Post
    Hahaha, I rarely see anyone hiking in an external frame anymore. I still have mine but its mostly used when I let a friend borrow it.
    I have both external and internal and use them both. I carry the external mostly in very cold weather since I can carry more with it. I love them both.

Semo

Hammock
    Grand trunk skeeter beeter
    Tarp
    eno dry fly
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Suspension
    home made straps
    Images
    I have lived and hiked in black bear country my whole life. I grew up hiking in the Olympic national forest in Washington State which has a large bear population. I have almost never gone hiking there and not seen a black bear. Your not supposed to hike there without a bear jar. I have never used one myself because its a pain and I really dont yhink they help unless your being stupid with your gear and food. Most of the time we hang stuff in trees but black bear can climb. I habe also put my food in water tight bags and tie it down under water if tha available to you. Bears sense of smell is strong so hiding it is next to imposable. The good thing is they dont like people, so lots of noise and body oder is good. Dont be careless with your food or gear by leaving it alone. Be noisy so you dont surprise them either. Really very basic stuff. If a bear is so bold as to approach you is has probabley been taught you have somthing good to eat so leave nothing behind.

Images
    Please remember folks this post is in the Planning Forum and it's not about asking for advice on how to...

Hammock
    Grand trunk skeeter beeter
    Tarp
    eno dry fly
    Insulation
    poncho liner
    Suspension
    home made straps
    Images
    Ok. Look up seven lakes basin in Olympic national forest in washington state. Its a great 24 mile hike. You will most likley see at least one bear. The next time I go do that hike I will message you and see if you are intrested. No need to purchase my food or anything Im happy to just hang out.

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Seeking bears with thrillseeker. That sounds legitimate.

Images
    I'd think for the experience you want, you'd need to be somewhere out west where you have to have a bear canister. It seems like dealing with the logistics of the canister alone would be part of it but maybe that's just me. Only you know what you want exactly. I'd also personally think it would need to be grizzly country.

I saw 4 black bears a few weeks ago as we pulled out the gate of Grayson Highlands. We stopped and tried to take pictures but they behaved exactly like deer would. They edged away, edged away more quickly, and then began to run away full tilt. Contrast that with Skurka's video while he was in Alaska. Yes he scared them away, but only after they charged him.

Language warning

So while you CAN find black bears in the east, and that might satisfy you're bear experience desires, I don't personally think it compares to the precautions recommended out west like bear bagging your lip balm or not sleeping in what you ate dinner in, or stopping for dinner miles before you stop to camp for the night. The rules for somewhere like Denali are on a whole new level compared to GSMNP.

Jacobson's Expedition Canoeing is set mostly in Canada and he mentions areas up there you aren't allowed to enter without a firearm because of the polar bears. That makes the black bears we have in the East seem about as scary as the stray cat the roams the neighborhood.
    Last edited by Gqgeek81; 05-25-2015 at 10:06.

Hammock
    WBRR 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    pads, WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    I'd think for the experience you want, you'd need to be somewhere out west where you have to have a bear canister. It seems like dealing with the logistics of the canister alone would be part of it but maybe that's just me ... I don't personally think it compares to the precautions recommended out west like bear bagging you lip balm or not sleeping in what you ate dinner in, or stopping for dinner miles before you stop to camp for the night.
    My sentiments exactly. That's the type of "immersion" that I'd like to experience with someone who is very diligent at employing all the prescribed measures.

I've seen the Skurka video. You can't fake or hide the true fear on that young man's face and voice. I think I read that he only used Opsacks for odor management on that trip?

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123