sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie

Least expensive UQ

I live in Florida and have discovered in can not live without a under quilt. My issue is money. So I have decided to try the poncho liner mod or the jacks"r"better driduck poncho system. Cost they are very similar, but does anyone have experience with both. What would be warmer, and what would be lighter. Thanks for any advice.

Formerly octothorpesarus mudsocks's Avatar
    Images
    The DriDucks Weather Shield is certainly lighter but the material is quite fragile. The PLUQ is going to be much more durable in the long term and less likely to create condensation issues. I've never used the DriDucks Weather Shield so I can't say at what temperatures it is effective down to. The poncho liner is designed to insulate while the Poncho is designed to keep you dry. I suspect that there are some members here who have used both in tandem even. Hopefully they can comment.

Hammock
    diy insulated 10.5
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    becket hitch
    I modded a driducks poncho for a dual purpose poncho and UQ protector. Works fine, material is fragile as mentioned. Except for blocking wind, I wouldn't expect much warmth reflection from it. Buy some apex from Dutch or RBTR and have someone see you a cheap synthetic UQ.
    Crayons - they might look different, but they all taste the same

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    A step up from the PLUQ, and at similar cost, is the SnugPak Jungle Blanket.

http://www.amazon.com/SnugPak-92246-.../dp/B00BTHREMK

The principal improvement over the PLUQ is that it has a wind and water resistant outer layer. Instructions for putting either a sewn or no-sew PLUQ would be similar. I have three of them now. two for my grandchildren and I have loaned them out to other individuals. I can confidently say that they still work at 37*, and possibly lower. Should be good for at least 9 months out of the year in FL.

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sargevining View Post
    A step up from the PLUQ, and at similar cost, is the SnugPak Jungle Blanket.

http://www.amazon.com/SnugPak-92246-.../dp/B00BTHREMK

The principal improvement over the PLUQ is that it has a wind and water resistant outer layer. Instructions for putting either a sewn or no-sew PLUQ would be similar. I have three of them now. two for my grandchildren and I have loaned them out to other individuals. I can confidently say that they still work at 37*, and possibly lower. Should be good for at least 9 months out of the year in FL.
    I'll second this suggestion. I love my Jungle Blanket, its much warmer than the PL, I always had to fold the PL in double to get warm.
    I'd rather be hanging.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brazilianguy View Post
    I'll second this suggestion. I love my Jungle Blanket, its much warmer than the PL, I always had to fold the PL in double to get warm.
    do you use the snugpak jungle blanket as a top quilt? if so, how cold have you taken it?

Hammock
    Sheltowee Boone 20*
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I use it as a TQ. I have taken it to 50f and was warm, I expect I could have gone lower. I had a poly T-shirt on and swimming shorts.
    Quote Originally Posted by novasquid View Post
    do you use the snugpak jungle blanket as a top quilt? if so, how cold have you taken it?
    I'd rather be hanging.

Hammock
    sld tree runner dl
    Tarp
    sld trail haven
    Insulation
    Diy reflectics
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Thank you. The jungle blanket looks perfect for what I need. Just wondering if I should buy 2. One for TQ and one for UQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark8408 View Post
    Thank you. The jungle blanket looks perfect for what I need. Just wondering if I should buy 2. One for TQ and one for UQ.
    If you do id like a report. I think that's what I might do. should cover most the year in Florida. Its more weight then I want to carry, but I figure I can take it for a little while till I can manage a DUQ

Hammock
    DIY dbl.layer
    Tarp
    DIY camo semi-cat
    Insulation
    DIY IX-UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I'm responding based on the title to your thread, not necessarily on the other suggestions thus far. If cost is the main factor, have you considered an IX-UQ? I made mine for zero cost since I already had some ripstop on hand. Rather than buying the IX layers, I used the packing material that comes with large screen TVs. This stuff can also be found at most high end furniture stores, free for the taking. Been very very happy with my UQ. Lightweight and packs fairly well. Just another option to consider...

-Klauss
    My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rexmichaelson

"But hey, 2 trees anywhere is a bedroom waiting to happen, right?"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast