Warbonett Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Underquilt 30
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Yes the material feels much different between the two. The UGQ is thinner, silkier, and lighter both in texture, color and weight. The snap is Metal outer/plastic inner vs. the HG total metal. I like the cloth loops on the UGQ vs. the Plastic Triangles on the HG for the Ground Pad attachment. However, the HG Kit works on both but the UGQ kit does not fit the HG. Plus the HG is mitton hooks that I like better than the plastic "T's" of the UGQ. I went wtih the 50º Flight Jacket because it was still 850 fill but was 1-2 oz lighter than the HG. My goal was simply the lightest quilt for nights 50º or above. I love my Burrow for up to 40º and it's features are better for colder temperatures at a slight weight cost in my opinion (I can't compare 20º Burrow to 20º Flight Jacket). So the question remains, which to take for the 40 to 50º nightime shoulder season, elevation, specific region? I myself chose not to purchase a 40º quilt. Why? I can use the 20º Burrow and dress light or I can use the 50º Flight Jacket and layer. Or, my plan is to take both when unsure or on a Thru Hike . My burrow weighs 19.4 oz and my Flight Jacket weighs 10.3 oz. The 50º TQ has worked up to 80º and above with legs hanging out or just covering core. I didn't think the 40º would be as comfortable at that high of temp. Sorry for the "Book Explananation" but I really debated the purchase and had actually purchased a Thermarest Silk Liner for summer use. It weighed around 8oz. So 2.3 oz more gave me a great addition to my sleep system. The liner went back to the store!

PS Being a Buckeye I have to Support HG and Jenny has connections to my OU Bobcats!
    But UGQ Has Great Customer Service as well, and an awesome website, plus good video's and Jackson Michigan thinks Ann Arbor stinks too! lol
    The Flight Jacket is also looking like a contender. The weight seems just right and they offer more color without further additional weight. Certain HG colors run you an extra ounce I was told by Harry (from Hammock Gear) in an email. Do you know if your Flight Jacket 50 is sew through like the HG 50? So many choices! Thanks for the detailed reply, Gbolt!

Hammock
    Warbonett Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Underquilt 30
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by genixia View Post
    For the mountains - 50 degrees if you carry a lightweight down parka. 40 otherwise.
    I plan on carrying my Montbell U.L. Down Parka for additional warmth in the summer just in case. I've yet to test it out while backpacking though, so we'll see.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    [QUOTE=gbolt;1460554]
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Follow the below link and it will take you to a picture in my gallery of my stuffed 50 burrow on the scale weighing 8.7 ounces. It could probably compress smaller that's just the sack it came with. Also when I pack my quilts I pack them loose in a dry bag I find its easier to not stuff my quilts in a stuff sack and to pack them loose and pack around them.

I wouldn't beleive it if I hadn't seen it! Did you do a video on this TQ? Is it Blue? The reason I asked is that I saw a video with a low weight TQ and was trying to get my 50º as low as possible. HG said 11 to 13 oz. UGQ said 10-11 oz. Both said that the constraint was durability of materials. However, I didn't push either for 900 fill down. As mentioned, I went Flight Jacket and it finished at 10.3 oz. I am happy with it... but nice TQ in a Cuben Fiber Stuff Sac to boot! I am still debating on quilt stuff sacs or just free in the bottom of the Trash Compactor, the way I do it now!

Awesome pics...Thanks.
    Sorry no video and the colour is black. The fill is 900 and the fabric is 7D. No snaps sewn foot box with a draw string cord. When I bought my burrow 50 I said if it does not keep me warm then I don't want it on my quilt. That includes snaps, velcro or anything else that is not essential to the warmth of the quilt.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG CF 11ft Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti3,HG20º,UGQ50º
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyL View Post
    The Flight Jacket is also looking like a contender. The weight seems just right and Do you know if your Flight Jacket 50 is sew through like the HG 50? So many choices! Thanks for the detailed reply, Gbolt!
    Yes the Flight Jacket is sewn through. The 20º is not. But I beleive this is standard for quilts base on the temperature rating. Like I said, both are great companies and both are great quilts. I still feel the 50º Flight Jacket was the best 50º and the Burrow the best choice for 20º. I also agree with carrying the Montbell U.L. Down (Jacket in my Case) for additional warmth and don't forget head covering to stop heat lost. Below 70º I sleep in a Dew Rag, under 50 is a lightweight bennie and below 35º and when the bennie is used during the day, I use a Blackrock Down Cap. The dew rag actually does help below 70º, beleive it or not! The Blackrock Down is so comfortable, warm and ultra light.

Hammock
    Warbonett Blackbird 1.7
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Underquilt 30
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    Yes the Flight Jacket is sewn through. The 20º is not. But I beleive this is standard for quilts base on the temperature rating. Like I said, both are great companies and both are great quilts. I still feel the 50º Flight Jacket was the best 50º and the Burrow the best choice for 20º. I also agree with carrying the Montbell U.L. Down (Jacket in my Case) for additional warmth and don't forget head covering to stop heat lost. Below 70º I sleep in a Dew Rag, under 50 is a lightweight bennie and below 35º and when the bennie is used during the day, I use a Blackrock Down Cap. The dew rag actually does help below 70º, beleive it or not! The Blackrock Down is so comfortable, warm and ultra light.
    Thanks again for the info everyone!! I have the 20degree burrow. It's awesome. Used it down into the 30's in NH Friday night and felt nice and warm. I might go with the HG 50 Borrow for the price and the fact that the wait time is only about two weeks. UGQ is about a 7 week wait. Yikes! Summer might be over by then :-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123