Would you trust Atlas straps to the full 400 pounds?

Hi,

I just became the owner of my first hammock, an ENO DN with Atlas straps. Atlas straps wouldn't have been my first choice, but the setup was on craigslist for a good price so I jumped on it.

I was reading an article on theultimatehang.com it said not to use Atlas straps for more than 200 lbs, I think due to dynamic load issues.

I'm a pretty light guy so I trust the straps for my personal use, but am a little bit concerned about hanging out with another person in the hammock with me. I realize it would be pretty crowded for two people, but it's still an option I'd like to have.

What do you guys/gals think? Do you have experience with/would you trust the Atlas to the full 400 lbs, or would it be more prudent to make new straps with heavier duty webbing?
    Last edited by rustyjanes; 05-21-2015 at 23:24.

I'm new to hammock but I'm sure you can't just combine ratings like that. The straps will still break with the same amount of force. With 200 lbs working load, the break strength should be around 1000 lbs on the straps. I forget the whole math stuff, but this rating is for straight line. When you put your suspension at an angle, it increase your forces on the straps. This is all base on when the straps are new btw. I wouldn't trust them with two people. It will probably work, but the safety margin is slim. Good luck.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.7 dl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    L.L Ghost Pepper
    Suspension
    Slings/Dutch Bckl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyjanes View Post
    Hi,

I just became the owner of my first hammock, an ENO DN with Atlas straps. Atlas straps wouldn't have been my first choice, but the setup was on craigslist for a good price so I jumped on it.

I was reading an article on theultimatehang.com it said not to use Atlas straps for more than 200 lbs, I think due to dynamic load issues.

I'm a pretty light guy so I trust the straps for my personal use, but am a little bit concerned about hanging out with another person in the hammock with me. I realize it would be pretty crowded for two people, but it's still an option I'd like to have.

What do you guys/gals think? Do you have experience with/would you trust the Atlas to the full 400 lbs, or would it be more prudent to make new straps with heavier duty webbing?
    I wouldn't trust it myself, atlas straps have a "400" pound breaking strength when "combined" but each strap alone is 200 pound breaking strength. That doesn't give much piece of mind for me, but the good news is for no more than 10 bucks you can remedy this with dutch's, http://www.dutchwaregear.com/tree-huggers.html , tree huggers made from polyester webbing rated by the manufacturer up to 1500lbs. I believe that rating is for one strap "uncombined strength" I could be wrong on that,but if it isn't you still have a 750 pound strength for each at the least. That helps me sleep at night lol, hope this helped you out in some way.

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Eno profly
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I weigh around 250 and I have not had a problem with Atlas straps yet..

Quote Originally Posted by Ashhang View Post
    I weigh around 250 and I have not had a problem with Atlas straps yet..
    You can be 500 and have them work. The problem is the safety margin is pretty low. You just don't know how much force you put on them by you swinging or how much the straps have aged. With two people, you're probably moving around the hammock to get comfortable and one wrong move and you'll be on the ground.

Thanks for the input everyone, I've decided to get some stronger webbing before I do any two person hanging.

Hammock
    HH Safari deluxe
    Tarp
    12'x10' hex fly
    Insulation
    wool blanket
    Suspension
    2000lb nylon rope
    i took seat belts and used an awl stitcher and made my own. im using a HH safari deluxe hammock. im 330 6'1.

*havnt tested them yet. its been rainy =(

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    I know a guy who uses them with no problem for years and he is pushing 380. As with any product YMMV, and it's all the in the safety margin that you are comfortable with.

• + New Posts