Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Nice hike, nice pictures. Is this in the same area as the LT and Worlds End SP? Forksville sounds really familiar, but I don't recognize anything on the map.

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    World's End State Park is very close. I drove through WESP to get to and from the OLP trailhead.

Hammock
    GT SB-Pro, Infinity, Yukon, Vivere
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9'6
    Insulation
    SleepBagThermaRest
    Suspension
    DIYwhoopies,adjSRL
    Sweet. Thanks!
    (insert pithy quote here)

Hammock
    Chameleon #8 '17
    Tarp
    Tarp got boo boo
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoops-n-Biners
    This has been on my list for some time and this year I made it a point to hike it do to the potential fracking rights which seems to be soon granted. Thanks for scouting it for me.
    Sup?

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    They've been talking about the whole fracking rights thing for a few years now, haven't they? Is that finally coming to a head, or is this just more of the same rumbling?

Hammock
    Chameleon #8 '17
    Tarp
    Tarp got boo boo
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Whoops-n-Biners
    Who knows?. I remain pessimistic.
    Sup?

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    tapdole/noah 12
    Insulation
    jarbidge/new river
    Suspension
    whoopies & straps
    I read about the mineral rights and possible fracking a few months before doing the hike. In one of the trail register boxes that we passed and opened there was a map which showed our current location and also showed where the proposed fracking was going to take place. The map looked fairly new. I'm not saying fracking is going to happen but it seems like it will soon unless something is done.

Now I also read somewhere that the company that owns the mineral rights, Adaranko (sp?) may have NOT have properly acquired the mineral rights. I wish I could find that article.

My suggestion is to go hike the trail as soon as possible if you have the intentions to hike it. It's an easy hike and well worth 2 or 3 days.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1/R.R.
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom/13ft WD
    Insulation
    UGQ RENEGADE/ZEPP
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    Images
    Chris nice pictures ,we just came back on Monday early am . We did not have the luxury of a little rain one night.
    The day we got there I found out they had some straight line winds a few nights prior ,and did not see anyone leaving the trail to ask if all was well.
    We headed out anyway even though we knew that there was a possibility of a few inches of rain. Well lets just say they did a good job of predicting the weather, I thing we had more then a few.

The trail was littered from the straight line winds with some large trees and that forced us to go up and around or down and around.
    This did slow us down some but the main thing was we were reading the map supplied at the trail head .That map was fine and we decided to do the trail counterclockwise and count the runs to give us a general idea were we were on the trail since it is well marked and easy to follow.
    That would have been fine but it started to rain and it never stopped .that caused the little brooks to swell to streams and caused the streams to flood like small rivers leaving us to guess what was a run,and what was run off.This became quite difficult to pinpoint where we were on the map.

The only thing that made the trip possible was we all had hammocks ! The trail had a few inches of water in most spots . At some spots the trail followed the streams and the streams were moving and completely washed the trail out ,this caused us to hike on the side of the trail witch was usually a steep slope.

Wet feet for days ,pack and most things took on mist and humidity that caused the pack to stay as heavy if not heavier then we started.
    Needless to say we pushed on and had a good trip ,but the pictures of rattlesnakes and other things does not have the sun in the back ground.

The weather was so wet that one of us used only one phone to take pictures and some videos that will be posted soon by one of our hammock forums members that was nice enough to risk his equipment to take them.

All and all it is a great spot and did enjoyed it with all the obstacles and setbacks .

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1/R.R.
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom/13ft WD
    Insulation
    UGQ RENEGADE/ZEPP
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Thanks for the trip report. This one's on the top of my short list to hit up when I eventually have time to get some hiking in - great to see another round of pictures on it!

What's the wood situation like? Did you have a fire in the evenings?
    There is plenty of wood after the storms that have gone through the last couple weeks . You should have no problem with a fire at night or to cook with for many moons to come...

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Thanks for the trip report. I was scheduled to go there last week but got rained out, with forecast for heavy rain the whole weekend. It was nice to get a look at what I missed, but hopefully get there next year.
    John aka Suede

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12