Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Hmmm.. I don't know about using it for camping, but it does look like it has some potential for being a good backyard lounging hammock. I'd have to try it to be sure. I do think it's a neat idea. It sounds like you have a couple kinks to work out but you may well be onto something.

Hammock
    DH Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ - Printed SilP
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/UGQ
    Suspension
    Multibuckles
    Images
    I'd love to see one..

I've tossed around the idea of using a modified hammock chair (about 5' long) as a primary hammock for a while. I even custom built an UQ to fit said chair. Like most hammock chairs, squeeze quickly became an issue. We got around it much like you would with a bridge hammock.. By inserting webbing into the the hem, using a hardware option and an 18-24" spreader bar to cut back on the squeeze on the head end.

The design seems to be working. I gave it to a friend, who's been using it on a NCT thru hike.

I'd really be interested in seeing (and laying in) your hammock. I've been looking for a way to cut back on excess fabric used In a hammock. For me, the benefit isn't weight, but increased visibility.

Hammock
    Armchair Hammock
    Insulation
    Pad and Down Bag
    Suspension
    Web and Toggle
    Images
    Hi Jobomba & HK2001

Joomba, I'll have to get others to try out the design. If it isn't well liked by campers/backpackers this may turn out to be a backyard/lounging project.

HK2001, I like the idea of a minimalist camp chair & hammock... I've seen some clever designs (mostly on the web)... Tripods, a single rods braced back to the tree or hanging from above...
    It would be nice to see your set up. Do you have any pics?

If I get up to a hang in your neck of the woods (I'm originally from PA) I'll give a shout out.

Thanks for the comments!
    Armchair Guy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Large - Hang Small

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Thanks for posting, It is always great to see new designs/ideas here.
    I think WV showed another version of a lounger several years ago at one of the MAHHAs, I'm not sure if he ever posted pictures of it. I think his might have been more upright though, I'm having trouble remembering the details, although I seem to recall many, many baby whoopie slings.......
    For me personally, I need more leg room, I roll, sleep partially on me side, fetal or in fig 4 position so the straight leg thing would probably me too confining, but thats just me and there are plenty who stretch out and don't move all night.
    Please keep us posted and good luck

I tried a similar idea for some time (put maybe 50-60 nights on it) with some success and some failure. I've recently gone back to a 11' gathered end hammock and loving it!

I'm 6'6" and 120kg (265lb?)

I had a spreader bar just above my head to stop shoulder squeeze and tried a spreader at the feet also.
    Problems I had were concentrated stresses on fabric at corners. spreader bar was threaded through a channel at the end to try reduce point load on the fabric. Spreader bar was a weak point too. I ended up making a paracord net at the head end to distribute load from the spreader bar. This worked really well, but negates any reduction in weight through using less fabric.
    Main problem I found was keeping cold air out when the temps drop. Flatter lay at the shoulders makes it harder to get an under quilt to fit snug and gap free.
    Spreader bar also reduces stability.
    Failures I had were torn fabric at corners, spreader's breaking, cordage failing due to concentrated load.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Take it to a group hang to show it to others and get some feed back there.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I imagine if you aren't willing to send it to some others to try, you will need to take it to a group hang to get any quality feedback.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    While I love to see innovation and experiments outside the box, I can't quite fathom the idea of my feet dangling past the end of the hammock. Shoulder squeeze could be helped by a spreader bar at the head end. But then it starts to look like a shortened bridge hammock. I wonder how comfortable it is for a side sleeper.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Armchair Hammock
    Insulation
    Pad and Down Bag
    Suspension
    Web and Toggle
    Images
    Thanks for the feedback everyone... I was on my way to the Smoke Butt Hang... several prototypes in hand... dog riding shotgun... enjoying a glorious day when my car decided it was quitting time... Had a two hour tow back to Atlanta... Needless to say I missed the hang and what started as a great adventure turned into a miss-adventure...

I will/need to get more feedback from hangers.

I appreciate mudgudgeon comments. I have gone through dozens (literally) of designs that have broken because the fabric cut concentrate stress at certain points. I'm just under 6ft and over 250lb and I've gone up and down the fabric scale breaking prototypes. The lightest I've slept in was a 5.7oz with 1.6 HyperD but my preferred is a heavier wind proof water proof 300d fabric. I've still got lots of prototyping to do.

I am not using a spreader bar at the head. The fabric is mostly under your shoulders and doesn't wrap/squeeze as much as you'd think. If you use an inflatable sleeping pad your weight pressurizes the pad outward and lifts your shoulders up above the fabric. Just got in a couple of new pads to try. Some wide, some old school big tube channels. The tubes extend past the hammock and create a platform for your feet (it won't hold weight but you feel the upward pressure). I've tried a mid sized K-lite but it just didn't feel right.

The well supporting the calves is actually very comfortable. It's like draping your feet out past a foot rest of a recliner. I have used, and like, a small spreader bar (14") at the feet. I doesn't take all the pressure (I've used a cardboard tube without failure) but opens the loop around the calves so there isn't a crowded or pressed feeling.

Side-sleeping is possible (very subjective statement). Your feet can hang out to the side through the foot well/loop. The upward curve at the head takes some adjustments to find the right angle. Fetal also works and a figure four is also a good position leaving only one leg in the foot well.

The downside of the design - adjusting or rolling over in the hammock takes a lot of wiggling, scrunching and/or extending as you have to keep laying balanced along a center line. I have yet to find a graceful way to change positions.

I appreciate hearing about your experiences and concerns. Also invites to show the design are very much welcome.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Armchair Guy; 06-03-2015 at 16:37.
    Armchair Guy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Large - Hang Small

Hammock
    Armchair Hammock
    Insulation
    Pad and Down Bag
    Suspension
    Web and Toggle
    Images
    4.7oz Armchair Hammock

Still trying new designs and variation on cuts and angles. I've leaned that I need a fabric that has little to no stretch or the body and hips tend to sink and am still playing with the well depths.

New Versions.JPG

Here are some shots of the latest designs. One is under 10oz and the other is 4.7oz. The red one is a poly with no stretch and the olive one is a ripstop with too much stretch (you can see the stretch/sag at the hips). Both are comfortable but I want to get a flatter lie and still be able to wrap the hammock with a standard sleeping bag. I'm really pleased with the newer cut as you can see the shoulders are above the edges of the hammock with almost no squeeze.

I just sent my nephew to camp with two versions of the hammock and I'm still trying to get these to a hang so I can get much needed feedback.

Any feedback, support or advice is appreciated!
    Last edited by Armchair Guy; 06-29-2015 at 08:35.
    Armchair Guy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Live Large - Hang Small

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast