Several DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Stitch plate, the little difference .......

A few days ago I finally got the new stitch plate for my sewing machine.
    As you can see on the picture there is a difference in the hole for the needle.
    The standard plate to the right and the new straight stitch plate to the left.
    It is called a stitch plate and as the name says you can only make straight stitches with it.
    On the standard plate the needle hole is a wide slot and it gives you the option to ZigZag or offset the needle to the side. On the straight stitch plate there is only a small centered hole and that is it.
    The reason I got the new plate is the wide slot can and often creates problems in thin fabric especially when sewing close to the fabric edge. The fabric often get pulled down into the slot and then seam and the general appearance wonít be as good as it could be. On my machine (Pfaff Select 3.0) it can happen regardless of the needle size settings and so on but not always.

So far I have only made a few tests but I can see and feel the difference. I wish I got it a long time ago because it does make a difference.
    Most standard presser feet also have the wide slot and it can also create problems sometimes so I also got a matching presser foot with a small hole. I think this one is called a quilt foot and besides the small hole it has the benefit of markings so you know when to start and stop ( not so easy with a standard foot).
    You will see a similar setup on some industrial machines and my guess is they use it for the same reasons.
    I wonít miss the ZigZag option because I almost never use it anyway but the needle offset is something I will have to learn to live without but itís a small price to pay for the benefits I got but I can change plate and foot in 1 minute if I want to.
    It will cost you a needle if you forget it and try to adjust the machine so I have placed a strip of masking tape over the buttons and dials just in case I forget.
    Its worth to take a look in your accessory box to see if you by chance already got it. Its ďfreeĒ on some old machines you get just by rotating the stitch plate

It isnít free to get these items so if you only intent to sew a few DIY project itís a bit expensive and likewise if you donít have the problem.
    S-plates.jpg P-Feet.jpg
    If there is nothing left to learn itís time to die.
    Live and learn.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Just a note.... replacement plates are not available for all machines. That a bummer.. but unfortunately the case.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Double layer Hammock
    If I wind up doing a lot of sewing, I might look into this for my machine.
    Not sure if it will help with the problem I've been having, my machine doesn't seem to want to pull the thin material forward, it works just fine in reverse.

I also have had to increase the bobbin tension almost to max to keep the stitch tight on both sides.
    I have a singer

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LokoLobo View Post
    I also have had to increase the bobbin tension almost to max to keep the stitch tight on both sides.
    I have a singer
    The bobbin tension should not need to be adjusted except in very specific circumstances. What you describe does not qualify. (see the bobbin tension thread in my sig) You should return your bobbin to its normal tension and regulate the balance of the stitch with the top tension. If that will not work, something is wrong with the machine.

A new throat plate will not likely help your feeding problem. Lengthen you stitch and see if that makes a difference with the feed problems.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint