Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have a Simply Light Designs 1.3 nylon 11 foot Treerunner DL and really like it, but it took lots of fiddling to get it right. I tried a single layer before but I could never dial it in since there was too much stretch in the fabric (I'm 6'1",215). Since the argon fabric has more stretch than nylon, this may also be an issue for you (depending on your weight). On the Treerunner, I added an adjustable ridge line and that really helped. I also have a Blackbird XLC and I dialed that in right away. You will be pleased with the Warbonnet.

Hammock
    Currently GT Double Parachute; GTUL
    Insulation
    DIY Costco throw
    Suspension
    1" polyweb & rings

First time in a hammock, and couldn't sleep well

I'm nowhere near as experienced as the guys here but I had a similar hang where shorts naps were awesome but also found it sometimes painful on my neck during longer naps/overnights. Then I tried scooting very very far down the hammock to put my back where my bum was and stick my legs up more. While it felt as though I was trying to hang upside down, a photo taken by a friend showed that I was actually laying very flat. I was originally fiddling around with my ARL but found that I was actually positioning myself in the same (painful) way no matter how much I fiddled. I also added a small under filled child's pillow similar to an airplane pillow.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    No problem - good sir -
    ive just finished a DIY 11fter and i found that by just temporarily setting up a ridgeline that used two strings
    - rough looped at each
    - 1 looped in the middle
    - 2nd then truckers hitches to other.
    that allowed me to play very easily without having to make a proper UCR or whoopie rideline. - I found that 114 was a good lenth for me.
    have a play with that if you can understand my word pictures

Don't worry. The first few nights in a hammock seem comfortable enough but for some unexplained reason, sleep does not come. My wife and I experienced the same phenomena the first four or five times we were out hammock camping. After discussing it we finally came to the conclusion that in each case, it was noises that we were not used to hearing that kept us up at night. Among the most annoying sounds we encountered are dogs barking all night, air conditioners cycling, other campers drinking and talking around a roaring (lets burn the woods down) bonfire, people walking through your campsite, and boats roaring past your hammock at 2 am. Gun shots really make it hard to sleep but those are rare, thank goodness.

With all that said, the Hammock Forum people are great to hang with. They all understand the rules and camping etiquette. You can get a good nights sleep at any of their events.

Our experiences with unwanted noise make us a little shy of commercial campgrounds... especially those on a busy lake. We have found that we sleep like babies when we hang in Wilderness areas that are quiet except for the noise of a few owls and the sound of the wind blowing through a million trees. Have been known to sleep for 12 hours in a hammock after a great day's hike.

So I urge you to listen to the great advice you will find here on the forum and keep trying. The sweet spot in your hang will get sweeter and sweeter with experience and knowing where you want to hang.

Ok so last night I changed things up. I used a new travel pillow under my knees, that my wife got for our baby. It's 14x20, on sale for $2 at Kmart. I tried rotating my contour foam pillow so that I was on the thin short side of it, but it was just to thick for the hammock. I ended up using part of my blanket under my neck, and putting the foam pillow on top of legs, since I was lazy to go get another blanket. I squirmed around, up and down, thinking about people saying there is a sweet spot, and I felt a spot with support under my lower and mid back. It was much better, and I slept a few hours, until had to go to bathroom and sun was rising.

I've been looking for a pillow, and want a down stuffed small one, so I'm getting 4 of these for family: http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/s...ub_Pillow.html It's annoying to spend that on such a small pillow, but every down pillow I can find is expensive.

I called and Kmart still has the travel pillows in stock, so I'm picking up 4 of those for knee pillows. They are the type that flatten and get lumpy, but for knee pillows they'll work for now for a cheap fix. They will be bulky compared to down, so I'll debate if I want to spend the money and upgrade, but for $2 it's no loss.
    Last edited by That Dude There; 05-25-2015 at 12:35.

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    If you are terrible at angles get a Hangle. Fixes any angle issues you have and helps you learn for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Helium33 View Post
    If you are terrible at angles get a Hangle. Fixes any angle issues you have and helps you learn for the future.
    So that's what that thing is for. lol

When I ordered my hammock, I thought argon was very fabric like from what i read. Now some say Nylon is more fabric like, and argon is plasticy. Is it true nylon is more fabricy? (not a word I know) Thanks everyone!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    ARGON is designed to the least plastic like fabric out there. It has a cottony feel to it. You won't be able to tell the difference in stretch between Nylon and ARGON but you will between PolyD and either. PolyD has less stretch.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    HH Safari deluxe
    Tarp
    12'x10' hex fly
    Insulation
    wool blanket
    Suspension
    2000lb nylon rope
    My opinion ( remember opinions are like arseholes) spend a few days just watching youtube videos. i watched Shugs, sintax77 and derek hanson, i learned so much in just a few hours that i actually took notes. first night and 2nd night i didnt sleep. but that could of been to the fact that i fought with blankets and got a bit chilly plus the animal fight clubs going on around me. but i never once woke up with back pain or neck pain. i also have 3 bulging disks in my back. someone recommended ear plugs, next time i get a chance to hang im gonna try that, been sick as a dog plus the weather isnt cooperating. hang in there. it really is a trial and error type of system. and whats good for someone else might be terrible for you =)

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    ARGON is designed to the least plastic like fabric out there. It has a cottony feel to it. You won't be able to tell the difference in stretch between Nylon and ARGON but you will between PolyD and either. PolyD has less stretch.
    Ok thanks for clarifying. It's so funny how people describe things opposite.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast