Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

JUST GETTING STARTED, HENNESSEY VS WARBONNET

I'm just getting started with hammock camping and looking to purchase a hammock. I know several people who have the WBBB and the WBbB XLC and they love them. I've laid in them but haven't spent the night in one of them. However since I'm just getting started price is a concern and Hennessey's come with most everything including the rain fly. I've always heard of Hennessey but would like to know if there is a substantial difference in comfort with Hennessey's vs. WBBB. I'm not sure which Hennessey I'd get at this point but was thinking of one of the ultra lights. Please give me your thoughts. Also is you can give me any other options to look at. I definitely want mosquito netting on it since I'm in the South.

Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings

JUST GETTING STARTED, HENNESSEY VS WARBONNET

You're looking for a comparison and I have not tried the WBBB so I'm no good there. However, I am a southern hanger and you're right about the bugnet- there may be a two week window you don't need it but the rest of the time it is essential.

Regarding the Hennessy, I have 2- UL Backpacker and Explorer Deluxe. Both are great. At 6', I am more comfortable with the ED, but I still fit in the ULBP.

The Hennessy tarps _are_ included, but they are quite small, covering only the hammock with no overhang. If rain is blowing it will require moving the tarp down very close. I have a larger hex tarp that I use instead of the Hennessy now. (MacCat Deluxe).

Also- the bottom entry is a favorite feature for me, although I know a lot of people don't like it. To me, it is easy in/out plus invites fewer bugs in when entering/exiting. HTH
    Last edited by shhQuiet; 05-24-2015 at 16:13. Reason: bittom entry
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

Thanks shhQuiet, That is very helpful. I'm only 5' 7" so I'm sure both would do fine for me. The bottom entry for the Hennessy's has always intrigued me and I thought about it the way that you do, it would help to keep bugs at bay. I've laid in a Hennessey with a bottom entry and did not have any problem with it at all. However with the bottom entry can you use the hammock as a chair when not sleeping in it?

I'm 5'9" and use the Expedition with bottom entry. At 2" shorter than me you might find the Expedition plenty comfortable. The Explorer is longer and presumably more comfortable. If money isn't a factor get an Explorer and go for the hex tarp upgrade. If money is a factor, don't be scared of the Expedition and stock tarp. In a good, better, best list I'd rank it Expedition, Explorer, and ???

Typos from my Moto E using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    I too like the bottom entry. If you go that route a zipper mod might be in your future to get access to the head end for stuff. Don't need full length but some of us find access to a peak bag and an easy way to sort out things is worth the trouble. Use it for a while before committing.

They can be used as a seat, flip them over. Hennessy had a video about how to do it on his site the last I looked.

OTOH If you are in bear country a separate hammock seat/gear hammock can be pitched away from where you sleep to keep the food odors away.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    The best advice I can give you if you haven't tried one of Brandon's hammocks, is to seek out and attend a local hang. I guarantee you'll find Warbonnet hammocks to try in abundance.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3x3, Noah 12
    Insulation
    Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dmwebb View Post
    Thanks shhQuiet, That is very helpful. I'm only 5' 7" so I'm sure both would do fine for me. The bottom entry for the Hennessy's has always intrigued me and I thought about it the way that you do, it would help to keep bugs at bay. I've laid in a Hennessey with a bottom entry and did not have any problem with it at all. However with the bottom entry can you use the hammock as a chair when not sleeping in it?
    dmwebb I'm originally from close to the Tupelo, MS area but now live is Southeast Missouri. I've been to Olive Branch many times. Anyway, I have the HH Expedition Asym Classic. I love the hammock however do not like not being able to reach out and make my coffee in the mornings or adjust my under quilt. I'm considering a zipper mod. For that reason I've been using my DD Frontline that has zippers on each side

Semo

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    WBBB is the way to go

Thanks everyone, this is all good information and I don't think I can wrong whichever way I go but you all have given me some great ideas to think about and know what to look for whichever way I go. If I go with the Hennesey I think that the zipper mod would be the way to go with it. Hey SemoBushman, if you are ever back through Olive Branch maybe we can go and hang out. :-)

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    DIY Hexish Tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I've been using an Explorer Deluxe for 3 years now. Very comfy. I just got a zipper mod done by 2QZQ. The one where both sides zip to the middle. I mainly did it for the winter months, to make it easier to get my quilt into the hammock and adjust the UQ if necessary. IN peak bug season it can be hard to see out of the hammock here. I've found the bottom entry ideal for getting in without the bugs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast