DIY 1.6 Hexon 72"x11'
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ&UQ/DIY's
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    For what it is worth, I started off with an Explorer bottom entry. I disliked it enough to make my own, and I love my DIY hammock. I couldn't stand not being able to adjust the UQ by simply reaching over the edge. I don't think I will ever change from a fronkey style detached bug net.
    "The trees were like lace where the star-beams could chase, each leaf was a jewel agleam.

The soft white hush lapped the Northland and wrapped us round in a crystalline dream."

Robert Service

Hammock
    TW Green Hornet / BMBH / WBBB 1.1SL
    Tarp
    Sargasso/Cloudburs
    Insulation
    HudsonRvr/Leighlo
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Hennessy hammocks probably work best with matching gear....the super shelter doesn't need adjusting, or a JRB Nest makes the bottom entry a pleasure. I like their choice of material for comfort as well.

Hammock
    DH Night Hawk
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Doors
    Insulation
    HG 0F Incubator
    Suspension
    15'+12' Becket
    I started off with a Hennessy, and actually lent it out this past weekend for a noob hanger to borrow, along with a HG Phoenix underquilt. The thing is, being a noob and a general "tough it out" woman, when the underquilt slipped off somehow as she got in for the night, she ended up suffering for hours in teeth-chattering see-your-breath cold. While this can be entirely attributed to her noobishness and stubbornness, it does highlight a downside to the Hennessy, with it's fixed bug net: you can't just reach over and adjust your underquilt. And this is actually a fairly common thing to do.

The Blackbird suffers from the same problem, only to a lesser degree. You can fairly easily adjust one side, but the other is lost to you. For this reason, I think that getting a simple Dutchware NylonD 1.6 hammock (with structural ridgeline) is a good way to go. When bugs come out, you can pair it with a bug net. Not only is this option inexpensive, it's also modular.
    "This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world." - Thomas à Kempis

Hammock
    DIY Bic bridge, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Jarbidge/Owyhee
    Suspension
    cinch buckle
    Images
    I have a Hennessey expedition and safari, and I have a WBBB. Just my opinion, but I do find the WBBB more comfortable. I was surprised, because I didn't think there was any way it would be better than the safari, since the safari is so big. For me, the WBBB footbox really makes all the difference.

If you do go with HH, the 2qzq mod 4 is really nice to have... It is the only reason I have kept my HH's.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Digi
    Insulation
    HG top/btm 20.
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Another +1 for the WBBB, I had a Hennessy Expedition ASYM w/ their hex fly for a good while, I now have a Blackbird and Superfly and wouldn't go back to Hennessy for money strictly on a comfort level. I just don't think the two compare in comfort, that footbox on the WBBB makes a world of difference but HYOH and both are good products.
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me... Philippians 4:13

I got to use a WBBB this past weekend and I must say the shelf feature is a real convenience. This is the first full weekend that I got to use a hammock and I really liked it. It did take some getting used to though, the first night I kept sliding down but I raised my feet the second night and it was much better. I did have a little trouble finding my sweet spot but I think part of that was due to trying to find a way to sleep on my side or stomach. I really do want to try one or two of the Hennessey's before i make up my mind on which one to buy. I'll keep posting to keep everyone updated. THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT FEEDBACK!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12