Custom Doublenest
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Black Mamba + DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

skeeter beeter??

does anyone have any input on the grand trunk skeeter beeter? i have a full ENO doublenest set up and am trying to lose weight. Would the skeeter beeter hold up for a thru hike or would i have to get my doublenest mailed to me because it fell apart?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    IM new to hanging and dont have any hammocks but when I decided to use a hammock for my E2E this summer on the LT the skeeter beeter was a hammock I first considered bc Harpers Ferry Outfitters had it on sale for real cheap....I called them to inquire and the person who I spoke to said that this would not last me a week on the trail. I then researched some other hammocks and quickly just decided to drop the $ on a WBBB. The guy from HFO was very help full and said that the Grand trunk Hammocks were not so great and should def not be used on a thru hinke...the you get what you pay for line....So again this is purely second hand information with no first hand knowledge of any hammocks....but give them a call and search around this site their is a tone of great info here and people are super nice.... hope this helps....
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    The skeeter beeter is a fine hammock for what it is. I got one for my daughter but she decided she did not like camping and so did not like hanging. I would not expect it to have the durability for use on an everyday, long term trip. But that is mostly because of issues with the bug net and zippers rather than the hammock itself. There are folks who use it extensively and like it very much. For casual use and the shorter multiday excursion I think it would be very useful but I would not want to have to rely on it if I had to exist on field repairs alone. The bugnet has a reputation for being a bit weak. Zippers have been known to fail although the company supposedly addressed that issue a while ago.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I'm a big guy and I did not like the Skeeter Beater Pro at all. I sunk in so far that it completely engulfed me and that made it difficult to get out. I also found that the netting was much to fragile for my needs. I bought a Warbonnet Blackbird and I'm happy as can be with it .
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly!
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Hope and prayer
    Images
    Well I'm not a heavy duty user but I've had my Skeeter Beeter out the last two summers for some motorcycle trips and it's held up fine.

No problems with zippers at all. The net I guess could be a bit fragile but I'm careful when I plop down in it and so far no issues at all.

I bought it originally as an entry level hammock and at this point haven't had the urge to upgrade... (yet)

Jim

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrumb View Post
    Well I'm not a heavy duty user but I've had my Skeeter Beeter out the last two summers for some motorcycle trips and it's held up fine.

No problems with zippers at all. The net I guess could be a bit fragile but I'm careful when I plop down in it and so far no issues at all.

I bought it originally as an entry level hammock and at this point haven't had the urge to upgrade... (yet)

Jim
    I would agree with this assessment but if you are talking about a thru hike the paradigm shifts somewhat. I would not hesitate to recommend a Skeeter Beeter (reg or pro)_ to a user who is not going to be too far away from help for very long. But on a thru hike I don't think the same issues apply.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

good info here. I was looking at one of those myself.

Hammock
    Travel Hammock
    Insulation
    JRB Rocky Mt. NoSn
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    I would agree with this assessment but if you are talking about a thru hike the paradigm shifts somewhat. I would not hesitate to recommend a Skeeter Beeter (reg or pro)_ to a user who is not going to be too far away from help for very long. But on a thru hike I don't think the same issues apply.
    Ditto. I have found the Grand Trunk's fabric to be noticeably softer and less hardy than that of my Hennessy Explorer. I think it is a slightly lighter weight of nylon (or polyester or whatever).
    See my PCT planning blog at budgetPCT.blogspot.com

• + New Posts