DIY Ripstop nylon
    Tarp
    DIY sil argon
    Insulation
    DIY syn UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

San Diego area Hike/Camp suggestions

Hey guys/gals! I'm looking for suggestions on places to hike and hang nearby. I travel for work and will be in San Diego for the next few months and am having trouble finding placed to hike and back country camp near me. I see a lot of campgrounds, but not a lot of hike to camp places. I also worry about reliable water sources. My typical is to hike anywhere from 5-15 miles and camp. Thanks in advance

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Water is a big problem this year (last 4 years) but it has rained a little lately so some streams and springs may last briefly. Note that some county campgrounds do not allow hammocks. State and National forest do.

Note also no wood or charcoal fires except in campgrounds - probably for the next 6 months at least.

I'm planning something for June, maybe Palomar Mt area or Idyllwild/SanJacinto but haven't called rangers yet. Laguna Mountain and Cuyamaca wilderness are also available, but I think they require permits - not hard to get, but you need them. The PCT is well documented for water sources. I've hiked out of Warner Springs and there are trees a few miles in. Not sure after that.
    Last edited by slbear; 05-25-2015 at 23:28.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Huggers/Whoopies
    You can always head up to Big Bear. Along the PCT. Some of that back country is nice but water and campfires will be the main issue there.

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Ranger confirmed there is water at Round Valley in the San Jacinto State Park. I'm going to camp one night in the campground on the Idyllwild side and then drive around to the Palm Springs Aerial Tramway and backpack on top for a couple of days. You can also hike in from the Idyllwild side or do a one way from the top down to several trailheads near Idyllwild with a car shuttle and/or dropoff. Permits and info available through the State Park rangers office in Idyllwild (see their website). Lots of trees up here.

I heard there was water in the San Luis Rey River (West Fork), and I've wanted to do a quick backpack on the Barker Valley Spur Trail near Mt. Palomar. I've never been there, and the rangers seemed unsure if the water would last, but I think that should have some weeks or months left given the rain in May. I don't know the tree situation for hanging - going to scout it out some weekend soon. No permit is required for this part of the Cleveland National Forest.

I've hiked up the PCT from Warner Springs in years past, and the PCT Water report (as of yesterday) says there is that Agua Caliente Creek is flowing at about 3.3 miles in - you need to get this far to be in the National Forest for overnight camping. This is not like being in the mountains like San Jacinto or even Palomar, but your are on the PCT bro! Should be an easy getaway. I haven't gone that much further beyond that last creek crossing and it looks like water is sketchy from there. If you want more miles, consider shuttling a car just south of Eagle Rock - google maps shows a road crossing near there, and then hike up to Warner Springs (79) and cross over for the Agua Caliente creek section.

A friend of mine said Green Valley and Paso Picacho area of the Cuyamaca Rancho State Park may have good flowing streams, but I can't seem to figure out if you can trail camp anywhere except Arroyo Seco or Granite Springs trail camps. Maybe someone here has more info on these Eastern San Diego County mountain trails.

Parking anywhere in the national forest requires an Adventure pass, so plan ahead.

• + New Posts