Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I don't find wearing extra clothing in bed to be very comfortable.
    I use a New River Long in my bridge hammock that covers from head to foot and even wraps up on each end a little bit.
    Sometimes I bring an arm up to cradle my head - sometimes I don't use a pillow - but no matter the position I have no cold areas.
    "...With saddle and pack, by paddle and track, let's go to the land of beyond."

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird single 1.7
    Tarp
    mamajamba
    Insulation
    APEX Jarbridge
    Suspension
    straps n' WHOOPIES
    I am struggling to find my happy balance in this regard. I have tried using my underquilt from shoulders down, but next time I am covering my head as well.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Remember your expected temps will be different than those the rest of us experience from time to time.

For me, in Florida, the coldest I have been in was 23*F. I used a synthetic partial UQ(shoulder's covered, not head), a beanie and 2 hoodies with a fleece covered inflatable pillow. I was warm. I have been cool without the pillow at 25*F same cover for head.

If I got a down UQ, I would go with a full UQ for teens and lower. That's me. 20's and up, I have been successful with partial UQ and would get a 20*F down partial UQ. Again, for me.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

I use a JRB Greylock 4 zero degree UQ. It's partial length and I had it down to -13f. I've got a down and fur hat plus I put a spare down puffy coat behind my head and shoulders. Along with a foot pad, I'm toasty warm.

Images
    Well, it just all depends on what other means- if any- you use and how far you are pushing your UQ, doesn't it. As always, there are a lot of ways to skin a cold cat.

However, at least in my experience, at some point you are going to need even more insulation under your head than under your feet. If using say a torso length 20*F UQ at well above 20F, some folks might not need anything under their feet at 60 or 50 maybe even 40F, but at some point you are going to need a pad under those feet. I think even more so for your head, if you are going to push that 20F UQ all the way to 20F, and even more so with a 0F as you approach 0.

So if you are counting on several inches of loft under your back at various temps, well sometime you can get by with just a poorly compressing fleece hat. But again as I go colder the time comes when I need every bit as much insulation under my head as I do my back. (feet seem to get by with less). I remember back when I established the lower limit for my WB Yeti style Climashield UQ using just 1 layer of 2.5 oz/sq/yd CS under me. Once it got near dawn, I was just on the verge of feeling a little cool in the mid-hi 40s. Not bad enough to bother me, but not toasty either, and I felt that I was at the absolute limit. Then I remembered I had a fleece hat in the WB shelf(I was just wearing cotton jeans and T shirt in a 40+ bag as quilt). I put that rascal on and went back to sleep for several hours, now nice and toasty. So that hat made a big difference. You can loose a lot of heat through your head! (I do not remember if I was using a pillow, but even if I was it did not help with heat loss from the top of my head. But adding just the fleece hat made a noticeable difference.

Still, it was only in the 40s. But, if I had been using a 20F or zero UQ and a warmer TQ, could I have got by just fine without even the hat? Maybe. OTOH, if I had been using a 20F or 0F UQ at those respective temps instead of hi 40s, would that fleece hat have been enough? I am betting not, and it might make a big enough difference to keep me from being warm at zero even with zero rated quilts. Still, many of us use pillows(maybe foam) along with a hat. And depending on the pillow, it might be enough to make up for no UQ loft under your head.

I really love that torso sized CS Yeti. But I do think that one of the reasons I always had such an easy time being warm with a PeaPod was the fact that I had equal thickness of insulation under my head and even over my head and face depending on how much top vent I allowed. There were times when- even in the 30s or lower- when I felt my head was actually overheating and would have to adjust for more vent, or shift some of the down away from that area. But if it was actually needed, I could have full loft on every side of my head with just a quarter sized vent right over my mouth/nose. I also learned that if my head/face was toasty warm it was highly unlikely I would be cold anywhere else, also leading to toasty feet.

Same thing(except no top of head or face insulation, need a separate hood for that) with my JRB MW UQs and bridge hammocks. I have a full length MW4 and a convertible model MW3 that has a long and short mode. Either way, I always have full thickness insulation under my head. I think it contributes to the great results I have had with those quilts, and as Passinthru said, it also helps if I want to cradle an arm/hand under my head. So I think full loft under your head can help a lot, but there are other ways to accomplish the same thing. A well insulated pillow for example.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird, WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Jarbidge and Down
    Suspension
    Straps and Buckles
    I use a pillow stuffed with climashield and a JRB Greylock 4 partial UQ all winter (I use the pillow year round, really). I've been down to -10F with that and a polar fleece beanie and have never been cold. I think if you use a pillow. the partial is fine. If you don't use a pillow, you may need a full length UQ.
    If your lucky enough to be outdoors, your lucky enough!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12