DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor

Minimalist Tarp as Rain Gear?

I made a 6x9' minimalist tarp of .74 oz. CF that I like very much for my UL set up, especially since supplementing it with the DIY WITT (what is that thing?) combo peak beak/bug net.

After watching this video about a wool blanket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni7a6BVhYZM ...

I wondered if the same sort of thing could be done with the tarp for rain gear. Of course, I'd use hook and loop closures and not put a stick through it!

Double duty for the tarp would reduce UL pack weight even more but requires mods.

Will work it out and post pictures in the foreseeable future.
    Last edited by MDSH; 05-26-2015 at 10:59.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY camo 330D
    Tarp
    DIY Ogees
    Insulation
    Costco down throw
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    I made a 6x8' tarp of .72 oz. CF that I like very much for my UL set up, especially since supplementing it with the DIY WITT (what is that thing?) combo peak beak/bug net.

After watching this video about a wool blanket: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni7a6BVhYZM ...

I wondered if the same sort of thing could be done with the tarp for rain gear. Of course, I'd use hook and loop closures and not put a stick through it!

Double duty for the tarp would reduce UL pack weight even more but requires mods.

Will work it out and post pictures in the foreseeable future.
    HMM. what about something simpler and possibly lighter than hook and loop? You could add two tie outs in the right place to use as a location for a toggle type of cloak clasp? Using a plastic tent toggle piece with a short length of lightweight twine or line tied in a loop on it, and use it as a toggle button closure....a few of them to make a more covered rain cape on the front could work as well... and you'd still have a rectangle tarp without a head hole in it.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Jacks R Better used to have instructions to use buttons with their 8x8 tarp.

And a guy on BPL (haven't seen him in awhile) did it as well.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie82 View Post
    HMM. what about something simpler and possibly lighter than hook and loop? You could add two tie outs in the right place to use as a location for a toggle type of cloak clasp? Using a plastic tent toggle piece with a short length of lightweight twine or line tied in a loop on it, and use it as a toggle button closure....a few of them to make a more covered rain cape on the front could work as well... and you'd still have a rectangle tarp without a head hole in it.

Right, no head hole, Camo.

Thanks for the suggestion of tie-outs. Have some CF scraps here that would work. They could go under the chin. Then use hook and loop buttons to keep it closed down the front.
    Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

I use my rain gear so much up here in Canada, so I wouldn't skimp on it. But if you can get away with it I think it would be a great idea! I'd sew a few loops onto the tarp that way you can close it up the entire way down, not just 1 at the top like a cape, just to keep it closed better. Might add a little more weight, but still less than real rain gear.

• + New Posts