Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel

DIY/MYOG Tarp and new suspension: Quick Test

QVNDUdv - Imgur.jpg
    The site I selected. I was in some heavily logged area so finding a spot not completely covered in salal was a challenge
    l6vWSx7 - Imgur.jpg
    Unpacking the backpack! First out: the kitchen. This is my home-made wood gasification stove. I didn't use it on this trip as I was just out for the evening to test out the new tarp, but I brought everything out of habit.
    xPHrjZR - Imgur.jpg
    Here's the tarp! I went with the DIY Gear Supply plans with some alterations. I shortened the ridgeline a bit as my hammock's fixed ridgeline is only 90". I have 15' tieouts on D-rings on top, 3' tieouts with LineLoc 3s on one side and 5' on the other. Total weight: 1lb on the button.
    knd16lO - Imgur.jpg
    Next out, some Farnese.
    gPpU8Fr - Imgur.jpg
    The completed kitchen!
    bQCIOGL - Imgur.jpg
    I loosely stuffed my hammock/sleeping bag into the bottom of my pack. I have plans to sew an UQ and an integrated bug net into my hammock and make a bishop bag that will hold hammock, UQ, TQ, and sleeping clothes.
    DrrdcWq - Imgur.jpg
    My kevlar tree straps (5' with a sewn loop at one end). These were salvaged from my old SCBA emergency bail-out belt (I'm a firefighter). Super light!
    8wU5QPZ - Imgur.jpg
    I don't use whoopies! My hammock suspension is 15' of 7/64ths amsteel with a fixed loop at one end and that's it. Feed the loop through the hammock channel (and ridgeline loop), make a lark's head, and you're done. This is a quick hitch with a chunk of aluminium tent peg as a toggle. Remove the toggle and pull the tail end of the amsteel and you're disconnected - easy peasy!
    azZvD4s - Imgur.jpg
    My sleeping bag with the hammock fed through and my ridgeline fed through the suspension lark's head knot.
    7HVXxAt - Imgur.jpg
    The only picture of my new tarp! I was getting eaten alive by mosquitoes so I hunkered down for the rest of the night. I'm super happy at how well it pitched up. I like to hang low (2"-3" off the ground) and I pitched the tarp pretty low and flat so I had plenty of ground around me protected to stash my backpack/book/wine/etc... (Note, I adjusted my setup a bit after taking this picture so it isn't super-accurate to how I slept)
    NxTp4XX - Imgur.jpg

Discussion time! I'm pretty happy with my set up at this time but I will be making some improvements. First and foremost:
    • Bug net: I literally got bitten on my eyelid and woke up to my eye practically sealed shut. I'm thinking of doing an integrated net with a zipper on one side.
    • Underquilt: I'm leaning towards a DIY 3.6oz APEX full length as I won't be camping below 5 or so degrees Celsius.
    • Topquilt: Probably just a fleece blanket or something.
    • Bishop bag: I want it to hold the hammock/bugnet, UQ, TQ, and sleeping clothes.
    • Ridgeline organizer bag: Probably made from extra mosquito netting from the bug net.

Any suggestions?

Those pictures are scrumptious looking! What lens are you using? Looks like a 50mm 1.4 or 1.2? Maybe even a 0.95?

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by kduvey View Post
    Those pictures are scrumptious looking! What lens are you using? Looks like a 50mm 1.4 or 1.2? Maybe even a 0.95?
    Jeez, good eye! It's an old Pentax SMC 50mm 1.2 (from the mid 1970's) on my Pentax K5-ii. The pictures were all shot at 2.8 though because the d.o.f. at 1.2 is INSANELY short, especially for the closeup shots. Thanks for the kind words!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    ugq Fjack and zep
    Suspension
    Webbing n buckles
    Bottle of wine and a book! Sounds like a fantastic solo trip.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreenMoose View Post
    Bottle of wine and a book! Sounds like a fantastic solo trip.
    Yea minus the continuous barrage of mosquitoes! Nice to have some luxuries for a close-to-home one night trip though :-)

Hammock
    DIY 11' Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ AHE UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Matt,

Xtrekker's Youtube video's are invaluable for making the integrated bug net.
    " The quickest way to the universe is through the forest wilderness"

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A simple, lightweight and inexpensive solution to the bug issue is to wear a head bug net. That way you continue to use the gear you already have. The sleeping bag as a peapod system is quite effective as a combined underquilt and top quilt.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    A simple, lightweight and inexpensive solution to the bug issue is to wear a head bug net. That way you continue to use the gear you already have. The sleeping bag as a peapod system is quite effective as a combined underquilt and top quilt.

Cheers

Brian
    Cheap too! It seems like all the good underquilts come from the states and after shipping and Canada's exchange rate right now, a $130 sleeping bag that does double duty seemed like a good way to get started! Now that I've done my own tarp, I think I'll just DIY my underquilt :-)

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Enobuffalo View Post
    Matt,

Xtrekker's Youtube video's are invaluable for making the integrated bug net.
    Thanks, buffalo! That video is actually what inspired me to do an integrated net as opposed to the Fronkey style. I think I'll just do a 3/4 zipper on one side though to cut down on bulk.

Hammock
    DIY DL 10.5' gathered with net
    Tarp
    DIY Winter or Hex
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Snugpak
    Suspension
    Rings, buckles, WS
    Images
    Great job on the tarp!

All the other DIY projects you mention aren't difficult at all. Give them a go...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast