WBBB xlc,Dutch,DIY
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Eno is good to start but if you have the funds go with WBBB. If you want a nice setup for a little less money go to Dutchware and get a Nylon D for under 35.00. A Fronkey Bugnet for under 50 and find a nice tarp.
    As messed up as a soup sandwich

Hammock
    DH Night Hawk
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Doors
    Insulation
    HG 0F Incubator
    Suspension
    15'+12' Becket
    I think you should get a double layered simple gathered end hammock (the Dutchware 11' is a good bet) with a structural ridgeline. Add a separate bug net to that. The double layered hammock will help stop bug bites through an uninsulated bottom layer, and allow you to stuff insulation in there should you need, like a CCF pad or reflective layer. You'll also need a means of attaching the hammock to the trees: go with the simple cinch buckle suspension.

This setup has the benefit of being both cheap and modular.
    "This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world." - Thomas à Kempis

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 Double
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ and EE TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I own the Warbonnet Blackbird and absolutely love it (double layer 1.1). I can't imagine a better hammock out there.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Perpatater View Post
    You should also check out the Simply Light Designs Trail Lair hammock. Super comfy, extremely well constructed, and you can option it up however you like it.
    http://www.simplylightdesigns.com/ca...roducts_id/331
    I just received a 12 foot Trail Lair from SLD. Its a night and day difference in comfort between that and my ENO DN. MUCH less calf pressure. Great value. He was ridiculously fast by the way. 24 hours to ship once I ordered.

Hammock
    War Bonnet Blackbird
    10-4 to what 1eye said. My WBBB is the most comfortable sleeping system I have used, tent or hammock. I've never had mosquito issue. My prior hammock was not nearly as well made and the integrated bug net tore. I have slept through some bad storms w the WBBB and Edge tarp, and stayed dry.

I know it's counterintuitive but the hammock itself is likely to be the least expensive item in the kit. At $30 or so, the dutchware 10.5 footer is a great starter. Add whoopie slings for suspension, a bugnet and something for under insulation, maybe just six feet of reflectix, and you ll have enough to get hooked. (Or not). And you ll have very little to throw away if you do get hooked and buy fancier stuff.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    ugq Fjack and zep
    Suspension
    Webbing n buckles

ENO, WBBB, or something else?

If you've got the budget, go for the WBBB XLC. No point being frustrated/disappointed with cheaper gear, where you either have to spend that money again or worse, give up on hammock camping all together. There won't be a shortage of folks on here looking to pick up a slightly used BB if you decide to get rid of it at the end of the season. Just look at those of us clambering for their site to start taking orders again his week.
    I went the ENO doublenest route for my first hammock and regret not doing more research. It's now my loaner/yard hammock. Even though it didn't break the bank, I would have been a good deal closer to my WBBB had I not spent the money on the ENO.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    I think something needs to be made clear though. Everyone keeps talking about the Dutch hammock being so cheap at $35. But to add the ridgeline and suspension it's an extra $41. Then to add a bugnet you are looking at an additional $50. That brings the toal up to $126, which is still $45 cheaper than a Warbonnet Blackbird but then - doesn't have the footbox, shelf, tie-downs, etc either.

Dutch makes great stuff and I've frequently gotten things from him. His hammock is definitely worth your consideration. But I just don't think it's fair to compare his $35 hammock (without suspension, ridgeline, or anything else) to the price of a Warbonnet Blackbird.
    Last edited by MississipVol; 05-27-2015 at 22:24.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I don't see much point in buying a full-featured hammock when a Dutch hammock does just fine. Spend your money on an UQ, bugnet, proper tarp and suspension.

The day may come when you want all those "features," but you don't need peak bags, hammock tie-outs, ridgeline organizers, zippers, removable overcovers, etc.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 05-27-2015 at 22:15.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    ugq Fjack and zep
    Suspension
    Webbing n buckles
    Good point MississipVol. Whatever you decide to do sunnymv, make sure you look closely at any extras you will need and factor them into the cost. Taking your time to research always pays off, even if it means you miss a bit of the season.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast