Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    two sleeping bags
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images

Need help on shelter for bonaroo camping

Hi guys,

I am headed to bonaroo this year to help my buddy vend. I sleep in a hammock 365 so I plan on taking the hammock stand I use each night. It is light weight and sets up in 10 minutes.

Here is the hammock stand I am using for a reference point:

I swapped out the hammock for a double wide Yukon:

I just came back from a festival last weekend and used this hammock stand with my Walmart tent. I placed the hammock in opposite corners of the tent. It fit but the fit was very snug. It is also a lot to carry for bonaroo.

I am hoping to use tarps and poles this time instead. If you know anything about bonaroo there are barely any trees.

I hope to use these poles in conjunction with a tarp and cord:

The poles are meant to keep trees anchored while they are growing. I have a total of 4 but I am thinking i will only need two. Half an inch thick and 6 feet tall. They seem very strong but i dont think i will be placing much weight on them. Basically just the weight of the tarp and cord.

Anyone have any suggestions or designs that would help? I want to avoid the tent as it gets so hot at bonaroo. I am also willing to get more supplies if required for this shelter.

Thank you in advance. The festival is in less than 2 weeks.
    Last edited by nookis; 05-27-2015 at 06:57.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    two sleeping bags
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    I guess what i would like is somthing like this:

Is this my best option?

Quote Originally Posted by nookis View Post
    Hi guys,

I am headed to bonaroo this year to help my buddy vend. I sleep in a hammock 365 so I plan on taking the hammock stand I use each night. It is light weight and sets up in 10 minutes.

Here is the hammock stand I am using for a reference point:

I swapped out the hammock for a double wide Yukon:

I just came back from a festival last weekend and used this hammock stand with my Walmart tent. I placed the hammock in opposite corners of the tent. It fit but the fit was very snug. It is also a lot to carry for bonaroo.

I am hoping to use tarps and poles this time instead. If you know anything about bonaroo there are barely any trees.

I hope to use these poles in conjunction with a tarp and cord:

The poles are meant to keep trees anchored while they are growing. I have a total of 4 but I am thinking i will only need two. Half an inch thick and 6 feet tall. They seem very strong but i dont think i will be placing much weight on them. Basically just the weight of the tarp and cord.

Anyone have any suggestions or designs that would help? I want to avoid the tent as it gets so hot at bonaroo. I am also willing to get more supplies if required for this shelter.

Thank you in advance. The festival is in less than 2 weeks.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Perhaps you could lash those poles to the ends of the hammock stand - extending past the tops and hang a ridgeline between them. You might consider something more substantial than those poles - I use them to stake tomatoes and they're really not very strong.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Looks like the U shaped bracket on each end is about 1". Remove the caps and see if a piece of EMT conduit might fit. 2 to 3 ' on each end should give enough height for tarp clearance.

Those green plant stakes even though they have a steel core are still flimsy.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DH Night Hawk
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Doors
    Insulation
    HG 0F Incubator
    Suspension
    15'+12' Becket
    I guess I'd just hang the tarp over the hammock stand and guy it out. You'll really only need to do that when it rains, though. You can make your entry-way more user-friendly by setting it to "porch mode": using hiking poles or the like to increase the angle of the tarp and guying out sharply from there.
    "This is the greatest wisdom—to seek the kingdom of heaven through contempt of the world." - Thomas à Kempis

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    two sleeping bags
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Great advice guys. I will take it all into consideration as this festival is known to be one of the hottest of the summer. (Temperature wise)

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    two sleeping bags
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Update

Here is the stand with the electrical conduit (sp?):

Tarped:

I used bungee to lash to the poles because the distance changes when I'm in the hammock:

I think I am using my kelty on top of the green tarp because it will extend my rain coverage. I will tie it down obviously:

View from inside the hammock:

What are your thoughts and suggestions? Anyway to keep the line taught or have a ridge line?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    First off, so jealous you're going to Bonnaroo. Secondly, so far the set up looks good, especially using the bungee to counteract the shift of the stand when you're in it. As far as tarp coverage, If you do the Kelty, I wouldn't put it on top of the green one. I'd use it by itself, propped in porch mode, for maximum shade and less trapped air. The ground dwellers will definitely be jealous

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    two sleeping bags
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    Thanks. The Kelty is too big. It goes beyond the poles. Any suggestion on how to make that work? I will be playing with a tarp shelter today that will involve the green poles instead. I want to know how sturdy they can be. Maybe if I lash them to the hammock stand it would give me the desired strength

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Pretty much what I had in mind Nookis. Looks like the T's on the pipe are 1". For a ridge line how about arcing a length of 1" PVC from T to T. The bungee would need to go around the top of the T to free the hole for the PVC. Use those green plant stakes for porching the sides out.

Another thought, screw 1" PVC fittings into the top of the metal T's, short risers of 1" PVC to 1" PVC T's with the PVC arch and extensions for the length of the Kelty. Good thing you're car camping.

PS. Missed you at the Florida Hang this year. Or maybe you were there and I still missed you because of the crowd.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast