DH Thunderbird DL 1.6/1.0
    Tarp
    WL Big D/HG Std CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs

Tarp tie outs

Hi Hangers, I am looking ordering a tarp and am new to hammocks. I received my Thunderbird from Papa Smurf What a beautiful pc of art it is. On to my question. When putting up your tarp what do you find is the fastest and easiest way to stake it out. Example keep a section of line attached to the tarp at each hook out point? Using a Dutch tarp worm and placing it on the stake or the tarp? I intend to do backpacking with this setup so am looking for something that is fast to set up when weather is bad but lite as possible. I would appreciate any input or pic of you favorite ways of doing this. I'm pretty well set on the ridge line setups but wondering about staking out the tarp. Thanks Everyone Mike

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    My ridge lines and tarp tie outs all stay attached. I use some of those mini-line-locks and some Zing-it. The zing-it has a loop in one end, which goes around a stake in the ground. The line lock is attached to the tarp corner/D-Tri-Whatever ring. That way, I can pull tension and adjust UNDER the tarp (in a storm). For sil-nylon, I use the Jacks-R-Better shock ones (with the sergical tubing to take up slack as the tarp gets wet and sags). For Cuben Fibre, just the line locks to the stakes.
    For my side pulls, I have like 12 feet zing-it between the two panel pulls, then another piece that I can adjust, using a hiking pole or stick to "pull" it out and stake it down.
    When I take it down, I Figure-8 all the lines, roll up the tarp and I use some Mountain Goat made mesh snake skins to contain it all. Goes into the outside pocket of the pack then.

I use a Dutch Wasp on each side of the ridge lines.
    Sorry, don't think I have photos, but lots are on this site. And the book "The Ultimate Hang" has drawings and descriptions I used.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Mike04345. Tarp tie outs. My favorite of all the ways I've seen: Use lash it or zingit and make a series of small continuous loops either spliced or alpine butterfly loops 3 or 4 inch loops. Prusik5wrap each loop to guy line then larks head prusik loop to tarp loops. Now that stays stuck together on your tarp. Attach other end of guy line to stake with marlin spike hitch or multiple wrap pile hitch(won't slip off skewer type stakes) when pitching tarp. Adjust guy line at prusik, tighten prusik with sideways pull. Low cost, light weight and fast to set up and easy to adjust and take down. Easy packing nothing to gouge your other gear.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    DIY silpoly 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY down TQ, WL UQ
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    I make 4" soft shackles with zing-it, and use them as prussik loops on zing-it guy lines with a loop at the end. The soft shackle part lets you attach and detach them from the tie out points.

It's pretty much the same as using lineup a for tension, but replaces the lineloc with a soft shackle prussik loop.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC/R.R 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Superfly UGQ WD
    Insulation
    HG/LocoL/AHE/UGQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    I use Dutch's Stingers on the ridgeline and attach Dutch Fleaz to all the tie outs with a small loop of bungee and then just leave about 4' of zingit tied off to each stake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZEeWGJk1f8
    Last edited by LuvmyBonnet; 05-27-2015 at 09:27.
    Hanging in the woods, paddlin and catching trout- My kind of living...

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Big D/HG Std CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Thanks for all the ideas, I'm sure they will all work well and I'm going to be looking into each of the ideas. I am planing of buying a tarp made of CF.. Thanks Luvmybonnet for the you tube link. This answered a lot of question about Dutchware options.

Hammock
    WL NightOwl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    DIY SuisseSport
    Suspension
    straps and whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Mike04345. Tarp tie outs. My favorite of all the ways I've seen: Use lash it or zingit and make a series of small continuous loops either spliced or alpine butterfly loops 3 or 4 inch loops. Prusik5wrap each loop to guy line then larks head prusik loop to tarp loops. Now that stays stuck together on your tarp. Attach other end of guy line to stake with marlin spike hitch or multiple wrap pile hitch(won't slip off skewer type stakes) when pitching tarp. Adjust guy line at prusik, tighten prusik with sideways pull. Low cost, light weight and fast to set up and easy to adjust and take down. Easy packing nothing to gouge your other gear.
    +1 to this. except at the stake end of the tie out, i use the self tensioning shock cord approach

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dual
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    modded sleepingbag
    Suspension
    webbing
    I just whipped up a bunch of continuous loops with Dutch Fleaz attached last night. Even took pics as I had considered trying to post up how I did it. However I haven't had the opportunity to try em out so I may hold off on the how-to until I see them in action. Here's the finished product though:

The goal is to have those larks head on the tarp side then will have zing-it permanently attached on the stakes so no more knots in my bishop bags.
    -Kevin

Famous last words: "Hey guys, y'all put down your beer and watch this!"

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Big D/HG Std CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Thanks thebackupninja, another good idea. Does seem to be less chance of tangle with the small loops attaching to tarp with the fleaz vs long pc of zing-it attached to the tarp.

Hammock
    DIY TheXringHunt 9' WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Ridgerest & WM Pad
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I just use braided mason's line with a fixed loop on one end and a bury on the other. The lines stay permanently larks headed to my tarp tie outs. I use a marlin spike hitch to the stake and put the stake in the ground. I also have shock cord tarp tensioners on the lines to take up any slack that may eventually form which double as a gauge for how much to tension the line. The lines just roll up into my tarp and get stuffed with the rest of it into snake skins for storage.

I like the minimal hardware as its light weight and no hassle but to each their own.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast