DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle

help rating underquilt

Being new and cheap, I was planning to use a pad for a while. Though it is clear from reading that 'everyone' ends up in a UQ sooner or later. So with that in mind I was wondering how to rate an UQ if converting a sleeping bag to a full length UQ. I got a VERY thin walmart bag on clearance the other day. 40* is their claim, 2#. I am planning to use it as a TQ, but was wondering what would a realistic temp rating be for it if I did something like this instead? http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...underquilt-mod

Most of my hanging will be in warm weather, but sometimes in the winter Texas does get cold (down to 20* at times)

I like to stay light weight, but backpacking I prioritize sleeping most of all. I can't afford to buy down the weight with down, light weight packs, etc. Too many other things take priority of my $. I probably have $150 into all my gear combined from pack to sleeping bag to tarp, hammock... Target wet weight of pack is 30-35#.

Thoughts? (or help finding an existing thread that answers this)

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Is your hammock a DL or SL?

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I'm not seeing how SL/DL matters in terms of the ability of the improvised UQ to insulate? Of course, if you asking to suggest supplementing with a pad due to OP finances, that would make sense.

Its really hard to say without knowing what the insulation is in there, and how thick it is, etc. A 40 degree claim on a Walmart bag is already dubious, plus bags are always rated as having a sufficient pad underneath with NO convection currents. My best guess is that you'd have a 55 degree UQ when you're done, but of course, your mileage may vary. You can supplement with a pad to go lower, but then you're talking about adding a lot of weight with the UQ and pad.

A decent option for little cost is a CCF pad that you can cut to whatever size works for you. Get a 24-25" wide pad. Yeah, its not as optimal as an UQ, but a 3/4" pad will be good to the lows you might get, as well as being fine in higher temps. You can keep an eye out for another bag on clearance that might be a better candidate for making an UQ out of it.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    thanks for the feed back. I found this link discussing the same bag as a summer TQ after posting my question.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...mart-mummy-bag

I have a SL, but was contemplating adding a thin (to save weight) second layer to slide a pad into. I know it can work, but sleeping with a pad in a SL sounds like a little bit of a hassle. I definitely shop the sales and will keep my eye out for something possibly a little warmer if needed. Maybe slide a ccf pad into the modified SB UQ to extend temp, that might work. I definitely plan to test anything out at home with some overnights in the yard before venturing into the woods.

Hammock
    DW HALF-WIT
    Tarp
    OES G4
    Insulation
    EE, HG PHOENIX
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    I'm not seeing how SL/DL matters in terms of the ability of the improvised UQ to insulate? Of course, if you asking to suggest supplementing with a pad due to OP finances, that would make sense.

Its really hard to say without knowing what the insulation is in there, and how thick it is, etc. A 40 degree claim on a Walmart bag is already dubious, plus bags are always rated as having a sufficient pad underneath with NO convection currents. My best guess is that you'd have a 55 degree UQ when you're done, but of course, your mileage may vary. You can supplement with a pad to go lower, but then you're talking about adding a lot of weight with the UQ and pad.

A decent option for little cost is a CCF pad that you can cut to whatever size works for you. Get a 24-25" wide pad. Yeah, its not as optimal as an UQ, but a 3/4" pad will be good to the lows you might get, as well as being fine in higher temps. You can keep an eye out for another bag on clearance that might be a better candidate for making an UQ out of it.
    Well if it's a DL he can make a diy reflectex pad.. Most cost effective insulation.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Yeah, the thing with heat reflection is that you need space for it to work. Too much and air currents negate the effect. Too little, as with the top layer of hammock material, it just doesn't work. What you've got is a thin pad that can be used in a DL or SL to much the same effect.

Now, its a heck of a lot easier to use a pad in a DL, for sure. I think especially for something thin like that pad, you'd definitely want a DL. For something that is a little more rigid, like CCF, you can use it in a SL with some degree of success because you can grab the sides and move it due to it being more rigid. Its a double edged sword with slippage and moving it around - you can put silicone drops on the bottom which will keep it from slipping, but whether in a DL or SL, that makes it harder to adjust it and I find that pads always seem to need adjustment.

As far as cheap goes, it doesn't get much cheaper than the blue foam pads, and they will take you down pretty far. For my money, its the way to go until you're ready to shell out for an UQ.

p.s. OP - I wouldn't go through the expense of adding material at the bottom of the hammock that potentially could threaten how strong the hammock material is. The CCF foam is not so slippery, is warm, comes in wide widths, you can cut it to size so its not running up the sides of the hammock, and its rigid enough to be a little easier to move around while you're laying on it. I find my air pads do better in a DL, but CCF it really doesn't matter that much. (m2c)
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 65 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    chinook 9x12
    Insulation
    DIY down + synth
    Suspension
    cinchbuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    p.s. OP - I wouldn't go through the expense of adding material at the bottom of the hammock that potentially could threaten how strong the hammock material is. The CCF foam is not so slippery, is warm, comes in wide widths, you can cut it to size so its not running up the sides of the hammock, and its rigid enough to be a little easier to move around while you're laying on it. I find my air pads do better in a DL, but CCF it really doesn't matter that much. (m2c)
    My wife sews, and has lots of fabric, and we have a LOT of sheer material, so it would not add any real expense or weight. What I was thinking is if she sewed a piece say 6' long under the hammock to the very side edges, not sewing into the body at all under me, so it hung as close as needed with me in it, that would give a sleeve to put a pad and have room to adjust as needed. CCF, rflectix, combo, whathaveyou. Would that threaten the integrity of the actual hammock? In my mind it would seem to work, but things in my mind and real life experience are not always on the same page. Bulk on my pack for a rolled pad is not a big concern, especially if it is light. That is how I have done it for years tent camping.

The modified SB + pad if needed is still on the list of options as well. I like the idea of the softness of the underquilt method. quilt for me. Pad for son.

I appreciate the input with my questions that I know have been asked a hundred times.

• + New Posts