Currently Yukon double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bags
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle

I think I'm ready...

Well maybe, maybe not. I keep going back and forth on what I want to do for my first hammock.
    Yesterday I was set on just buying what I think is my dream system. A dream hammock roaming gnome with some options that came up to right around $200.
    But today I'm thinking about taking a little cheaper route and going with a Dutch netless double layer. Have to deal with the bug net separately.
    I'd probably start with a Kelty Noah 12 tarp since it will also work with the family tent.
    One of the things that has me reconsidering the dream system is I'm not sure how I will lay. I'm very left handed and side sleep most of the time. So I "think" I would like the left lay, but I also don't want to base it all what I think since I know that I don't know.

So yeah, still just as lost as every other newbie.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    A Dutch hammock is a great way to start out until you figure out if your a left or right lay,, i bought my XLC and it turns out that i am a left lay,, still love the hammock but am thinking about selling it because it's not a left lay, just can't get myself to part with it.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' - Dutch 11'
    Tarp
    WL OMW or Tadpole
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow20
    Suspension
    Whoopies/kevlar
    Images
    I have a Roaming Gnome as my backpacking out in the bush hammock and it is great, but I keep it mostly for that. However, I started with an Eno double and still have it and several Dutch hammocks in my hammock herd. I love the Dutch Argon for the lay and comfort, his nylon comes a close second as it stretches a little less. Poly is third as it gives the firmest lay. Having said all that I recommend you give a hard look at a Dutch hammock as it is a far more economical was of determining what you like and don't like, and how you like to lay. Then when you know what you want you can go big with one of Papa Smurfs beauties knowing what you want. There are never too many hammocks cause I hand inside and slept in my Dutch Argon several times a week, and I always have an extra to indoctrinate new hangers to the fold (4 so far ) Good luck and happy hunting.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    none yet
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    My best advice would be to point out that any hammock, no matter the price, is a piece of fabric with rope at the ends. Make your own first. DIY is as much of a reward as the hang.
    God let me be the man that my dog thinks I am

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    KAQ Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopieslings
    Look at Underground Quilts. They will rent you a DH Darien for a very reasonable fee.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Nothing wrong with a Dutch hammock - all I use lately. Start with a simple, gathered-end hammock and you may never remember why you wanted a Cadillac hammock.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    20* Wooki; 20* UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    $35 sounds cheap but the amount you would save on a Dutch hammock is not as much as you would expect once you add in the price of a ridgeline, suspension, and bugnet. It is still about $45 less than a Warbonnet Blackbird so if you don't care about the additional features like the footbox, shelf, tie-downs, etc - the Dutch hammock may be the way to go. But then again - $45 is not much more to spend if you think some of those features are worthwhile to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zilla View Post
    A Dutch hammock is a great way to start out until you figure out if your a left or right lay,, i bought my XLC and it turns out that i am a left lay,, still love the hammock but am thinking about selling it because it's not a left lay, just can't get myself to part with it.
    I'm in the same boat right now. I order a dream hammock, so I may part with it when that gets here.

Hammock
    Currently Yukon double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bags
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by MississipVol View Post
    $35 sounds cheap but the amount you would save on a Dutch hammock is not as much as you would expect once you add in the price of a ridgeline, suspension, and bugnet. It is still about $45 less than a Warbonnet Blackbird so if you don't care about the additional features like the footbox, shelf, tie-downs, etc - the Dutch hammock may be the way to go. But then again - $45 is not much more to spend if you think some of those features are worthwhile to you.
    That's just the thing, I don't know what is important to me yet. I priced out a Dutch with some options and it was about $100.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Also consider a Warbonnet Traveler and you can get the separate bug net
    Something to be said for a simple gathered end Hammock as noted by Silvr Surfr
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast