Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles

Hammock Gear standard cuben tarp or winter palace?

Ok another tarp question. I currently have a Mamajamba that has an 11' ridgeline and is 10' wide. I'm going to buy an 11' cuben tarp with doors. I live in PA and plan to start doing some section hikes of the AT. What are your opinions of both Hammock Gear tarps, the standard which is 8.5' wide or the winter palace which is 10' 4" wide. I don't know/think I will be doing any winter camping mostly three season camping. Is the winter palace too big? Does the standard cover enough in heavy rain? I know ultimately its my decision, just looking for your thoughts!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I found the HG Standard to be a waste of time - it's just not a 4-season tarp. It's barely a three-season tarp. I quickly upgraded to the Winter Palace and have all the coverage I need for 8.5 ounces.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Darien
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG quilts 20°/40°
    Suspension
    webbing/Ti buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I found the HG Standard to be a waste of time - it's just not a 4-season tarp. It's barely a three-season tarp. I quickly upgraded to the Winter Palace and have all the coverage I need for 8.5 ounces.
    I guess you don't find it too big then. I know its only 4" wider than my mamajamba the pictures just make it look like it is all but dragging on the ground!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by howlinmadman View Post
    I guess you don't find it too big then. I know its only 4" wider than my mamajamba the pictures just make it look like it is all but dragging on the ground!
    Well, it's 10'4" wide, which is 25" wider than the HG Standard (8'6" wide). It's a tarp with real doors so I don't think it's too much tarp at 8.5 ounces.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    I own both and I still grab the 4S for many outings, not that it's a weight savings thing more that I prefer a little less in warm weather for visibility and ventilation. Plus the 4S is easier to fold up, not that it's any kind of a deal breaker. I've done some fierce winter weather camping in my 4S so with that said I think the thing that the winter palace buys you is just better wind protection. So last year I took my winter palace into the Rockies in August and I was glad I did, one windy evening we were getting some rain around dinner time and I had my tarp up in porch mode so my buddies came over to cook dinner under my tarp. Site selection is maybe a little easier for the 4S because it's smaller.

You wouldn't be disappointed with either tarp.

David

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    The standard cuben is not a postage stamp tarp. If you get wet under that size tarp you've done something wrong. For regular three season camping a 4S is a lot of tarp and not worth the investment. It would shine more as a wind block in the winter and having a larger cuben tarp doesn't help for privacy because of the transparency. A standard was large enough to hang two hammocks under in a cold misty sleeting rain and I had no issues using it in the winter with high winds right off Lake Superior. So IMO save your money and invest it in a nice summer quilt or some special Dutch bling
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm using a WBBB 10'er and as you can see doors can be easily be done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Too many to choose just one
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex or WP
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit 30* or
    Suspension
    Depends on my mood
    I have the HG Winter Palace and the HG standard hex (no doors), both 11" RL. For me, the extra width really helps the most if you have to hang on trees in the 14-17' apart range because your hammock straps are going to be higher on the trees. I have gotten wet from the sides in blowing rains in this situation with my standard. You can definitely make either work and you will be happy with either. I prefer the WP in most situations.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    I have the standard HG cuben fiber tarp with doors I picked up used here. I dont regret it, but some times in severe down poors I wish I had more width to help with splash protection.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    The standard cuben is not a postage stamp tarp. If you get wet under that size tarp you've done something wrong.
    As you can see, there's a definite disagreement on when "you've done something wrong." I've been camping with cuben fiber for three years and don't feel that I've "done something wrong" when I get wet. If you want a skimpy tarp (i.e., the HG standard), then you suffer the consequences. You can practice the black art of site selection if the trees and landscape allow it (which they often don't in the Northeast), but I'd say you're better off with a Winter Palace.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast