Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've been thinking about upgrading from the HG Standard to the Winter Palace for all the reasons mentioned in this thread. The Standard is a great tarp, but I often wish I had more side coverage.

I have a standard that I'm thinking of selling to put money into an underquilt, let me know if you wanna go that way.

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    As you can see, there's a definite disagreement on when "you've done something wrong." I've been camping with cuben fiber for three years and don't feel that I've "done something wrong" when I get wet. If you want a skimpy tarp (i.e., the HG standard), then you suffer the consequences. You can practice the black art of site selection if the trees and landscape allow it (which they often don't in the Northeast), but I'd say you're better off with a Winter Palace.
    Are we talking about the hex tarp or the regular standard tarp? If so I'd have to recommend you purchase a circus tent and string up between interior poles.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird DL 1.6/1.0
    Tarp
    WL Big D/HG Std CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs

Thanks

Thanks for adding the length of your hammock. Most people posting about tarp coverage seem to not mention it. It really helps when someone new is trying to figure out what they need. I have a 11 Foot hammock and will be ordering a HG CF tarp once I'm sure what I want and need.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oms View Post
    Are we talking about the hex tarp or the regular standard tarp? If so I'd have to recommend you purchase a circus tent and string up between interior poles.
    I have an 8.5 oz. HG Winter Palace circus tent, though I don't string it up between interior poles.

There are people who seem to have no problem with minimalist tarps, which I thoroughly understand. I live in a coastal area and there is nothing predictable about the wind or weather. I live two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean, with the Shrewsbury River directly behind my house. The winds shift minute by minute, and you can get wet in a hurry with a skimpy tarp.

If I go inland 2 or 3 miles, I can get by with a skimpy tarp. However, I've seen too many situations where an HG standard just didn't cut the mustard.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 05-30-2015 at 21:48.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch NylonD 11ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxpoop View Post
    I have the HG Winter Palace and the HG standard hex (no doors), both 11" RL. For me, the extra width really helps the most if you have to hang on trees in the 14-17' apart range because your hammock straps are going to be higher on the trees. I have gotten wet from the sides in blowing rains in this situation with my standard. You can definitely make either work and you will be happy with either. I prefer the WP in most situations.
    Soooo....
    When are you hanging next. You're very close and have a lot of gear that I would love to see in person. Seriously!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I was camping last August on Rock Pond in the Adirondacks. We had a miserable day with heavy rain off and on - one of our party got soaked (long story). When we arrived at the campsite, it just wasn't swimming with adequate trees. I hung my RBTR Silnylon Fronkey-style hex tarp for my son Shelf Life and the wind/rain was blowing off the water, getting the UQ, TQ and everything wet. We had five in our party, but this was the only tarp angled into the wind. It took me a half-hour of "site selection" to find tree angled so that my son didn't get wet. There just weren't enough trees.

Of course, I had my HG Winter Palace and didn't give a crap which way I was angled - close the doors and you're snug as a bug, no matter which way the wind and precipitation is blowing.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I have an 8.5 oz. HG Winter Palace circus tent, though I don't string it up between interior poles.

There are people who seem to have no problem with minimalist tarps, which I thoroughly understand. I live in a coastal area and there is nothing predictable about the wind or weather. I live two blocks from the Atlantic Ocean, with the Shrewsbury River directly behind my house. The winds shift minute by minute, and you can get wet in a hurry with a skimpy tarp.

If I go inland 2 or 3 miles, I can get by with a skimpy tarp. However, I've seen too many situations where an HG standard just didn't cut the mustard.
    To be fair there is nothing minimalistic about the standard. The only difference are the side walls. In the winter the WP rocks for wind blocking making it superior to a shorter side wall. However, if you wish to hang close to the ridgeline, it can easily be done with a standard as shown in the earlier picture. That day was close to 0* with high winds and I was fine. If I'm only going a short distance or car camping in the winter I do prefer to use a 10x10 sil tarp for the wind block. The OP did mention that it would be used for three seasons. Rain is not an issue with a standard. Just my opinion.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    My HG standard Cuben tarp has kept my 11' hammock and quilts dry during Florida monsoons, even without the doors closed. We get more rain in one afternoon than most places in the USA get in a month. I'm completely satisfied with the standard.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I've never been wet using my HG standard and I've had it in some nasty storms. However, many times I've wanted the extra side length that the winter palace offers. That's why I'm thinking of switching. YMMV.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast