question about tarp tie downs and I also received my "the ultimate hang" in the mail today

First the question: what are those bunji type tie downs for tarps that allow it to flex some?

And received my ultimate hang book in the mail today can't wait to read it from cover to cover

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Some folks use shock cord, but it only helps with silnylon tarps that stretch when wet (and I don't think it helps much, if at all). Not necessary or desirable for a poly of cuben fiber tarp.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thanks ya just saved me some money

Hammock
    WBRR or 11' PolyD
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    SpdrPoly Cinch Bug
    I use then on my silnylon tarp but having done it both ways I tend to agree with SilvrSurfr, they don't help that much in tentioning for stretch. I like the idea of it but in practice I think it's only marginally useful. Regardless, it's fun to tinker with your gear to find what works for you.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk SB Pro Modded
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah9 ZingIt
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/Down TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie hooks

question about tarp tie downs and I also received my "the ultimate hang" in t...

Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Some folks use shock cord, but it only helps with silnylon tarps that stretch when wet (and I don't think it helps much, if at all). Not necessary or desirable for a poly of cuben fiber tarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamaulwall View Post
    I use then on my silnylon tarp but having done it both ways I tend to agree with SilvrSurfr, they don't help that much in tentioning for stretch. I like the idea of it but in practice I think it's only marginally useful. Regardless, it's fun to tinker with your gear to find what works for you.
    I'll second both of these (or third them? :shrugs). I have shock cord on my tieouts on my silnylon tarp, but I really can't tell they help that much. I just don't think the shock cord has enough elastic strength to really tighten the tarp back up that much if it gets a little slack in it. It may ever so slightly tension it, but very nominally. In my opinion to have a solution that really would keep tension on it, you'd have to use some real bungy cords (the big bulky heavy type used for strapping things down when moving or the like), not just shock cord.
    Two heads are good, three are great, but all heads at hammockforums is the best case scenario!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I tried self tensioning lines in the past but I never really liked them. I like a really taut pitch in my tarps so I always tighten my lines a couple times after initial set up. I use prusiks so tightening them is easy enough. YMMV.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    My self tensioning lines keep the hem of my sil-nyl tarp taught when it gets wet but the sides sag. I have panel-pull pole mod and that keeps the wet tarp up and away.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ 20*/30*
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I haven't noticed the problems mentioned above, my SF has shock cord on every tie out and it makes tensioning super easy, haven't tried it with CF though.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Fabrics that stretch like SilNylon only stretch to a point. Set your tarp up and tension it to the full tension you want. Come back in an hour and it will have stretched about as much as it really can. Crank everything tight again and your done. Rain or not the fabric only has so much give.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts