Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    not going too far wrong you fellow brit - as for lash-it find a place that does chainsaws and ask for arborist throwline (or get online) stein does some 1.75 and some 2.2 - ive got some 2.2 setup as whoopies and continuous loops
    (but im a skinny light fkr) on a diy hammock
    i also have a dutch hammock weith the webbing strabs and cinch buckles - which is seriously easy to use - so you will not be dissapointed.

anywhosal welcome to the club.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    British Army Basha
    Insulation
    DD UQ/Snugpak Bag
    Suspension
    Dutchs Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by mrh_on View Post
    Congrats on getting started Muddy Funker. Have you guys looked into what you're going to do for quilts? I only ask because you had ordered from DD Hammocks and I had chosen their underblanket as a cheap-ish starter before getting into the down quilts (thinking about trying to make one over the coming winter). Anyways, the DD underblanket is pretty decent, though not on the same quality scale as the cottage vendors in the US. It has synthetic fill but it's rated down to -5 degrees C and once you get it dialed in it's decent enough. I've been toasty warm using it this spring so I thought it's worth a glance as it wasn't that expensive last time I looked, and might be easier on your bank account by eliminating the importing fees. It's a bit on the heavy side for back-packing but not too bad.
    Hi there, thanks for the friendly welcome.

I didn't actually mention it earlier in the thread but when I put in the order to DD I did include an underblanket. Having been reading soooo much over the last few weeks and seeing that the general consensus is that if temps drop below 70 insulation is recommended I thought it would be wise. I can forsee it staying put on the hammock for most of the year as we don't get a huge number of nights where the temp stays above 70.
    I also ordered an XL hammock sleeve as I had a thought that I might be able to package away the hammock with the underblanket still fitted. Penny from DD confirmed this would work.

Now with regards to top insulation I'm going one way then the other again. My idea to keep costs manageable would be to suffer using a sleeping bag. Snugpak jungle for the warmer months, Snugpak sleeper extreme for colder times and then one inside the other for if it's ridiculous. Not sure if this will work it's just a thought?

I have to say I'm a tad envious of you guys over the pond, you're blazing the way forward with all the different equipment and material choices. I'm still more than happy with the suspension option from Dutch even though the vat and handling charge stung a bit.

Here's something funny, I've not even hung yet just putting everything together!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShooTa View Post
    not going too far wrong you fellow brit - as for lash-it find a place that does chainsaws and ask for arborist throwline (or get online) stein does some 1.75 and some 2.2 - ive got some 2.2 setup as whoopies and continuous loops
    (but im a skinny light fkr) on a diy hammock
    i also have a dutch hammock weith the webbing strabs and cinch buckles - which is seriously easy to use - so you will not be dissapointed.

anywhosal welcome to the club.
    Hi ShooTa thanks also!

I thought while I was ordering the straps and bugs I may as well get some lash it too. So I've also got 50' which I'll be using for tarp ridge lines for me and the Mrs, she hasn't bought her hammock yet she's just laughing at me having a nerdgasm over all this kit and letting me sort it!

I'd seen people using the throw line in their set ups. Pretty much the only reason I didn't go down this route is because of colour. You know how things are here regarding wild camping, I want to be as stealthy and discreet as possible so don't really want anything high viz anywhere in the camp.

I really like the look of the nite ize figure 9s for setting up tarp line. Would it be seen as excessive in having 2 small fig 9s to set the line up then a couple of small s biners to then attach tarp to prusik loops?

I'm more than happy to go down the hardware route as opposed to knots for speed and simplicity however, I want to do things right and not look like some wannabe everest climber, although I do appreciate everyone approaches this differently.

I'm not massively worried by a few extra ounces, any advice from anyone is welcome.

Thanks again.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    if you dont already this systems quite good - although i used to use it (even b4 i knew of the video) - im now using some dutchware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THckcO7A9ng

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    British Army Basha
    Insulation
    DD UQ/Snugpak Bag
    Suspension
    Dutchs Cinch Bugs
    if you dont already this systems quite good - although i used to use it (even b4 i knew of the video) - im now using some dutchware.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THckcO7A9ng
    Blimey, a tarp/hammock/splicing video I haven't yet seen haha!!!

Thanks that looks like a nice way of doing things, I noticed there was no V the hammock can go between. Is that not really a concern?

Cheers.

Hammock
    Woodsman X
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG phoenix 20 deg
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    its nice to have - ive also used a system with mini caribeeners for my Gfs 3x3 DD tarp

-clip onto a fixed end of line round tree to tarp and clipped one end - nice V
    -other end has the excees and is a continuous ridgeline gioing through the edge loops on tarp and middle one -
    line goes out and round tree with a prussick loop - caribeener goes from prussick to tarp - again a nice V
    very simple and lightweight.

Hammock
    DD Frontline
    Tarp
    British Army Basha
    Insulation
    DD UQ/Snugpak Bag
    Suspension
    Dutchs Cinch Bugs
    its nice to have - ive also used a system with mini caribeeners for my Gfs 3x3 DD tarp

-clip onto a fixed end of line round tree to tarp and clipped one end - nice V
    -other end has the excees and is a continuous ridgeline gioing through the edge loops on tarp and middle one -
    line goes out and round tree with a prussick loop - caribeener goes from prussick to tarp - again a nice V
    very simple and lightweight.
    Nice one thanks again.

Gives me a few more things to look at :-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12