Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Stretchy silnylon material ?

    I ordered some 1.1 silnylon to make a new tarp, what I received didn't look or feel like what I've used before, it is stable in the ridge line direction but has stretch in the side to side direction, almost feels like latex. It is extremely light, but I'm concerned about the durability, don't know how to better describe it. Wondering if anyone has any insight on it? Tarp, stakes, and sack weighed in at 13 oz...before seam seal.

  2. #2
    Senior Member ksbcrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Dayton, TX
    Hammock
    11' Poly Ripstop
    Tarp
    DIY Sil Cat Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Synth
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Posts
    350
    My hex tarp weighs that without stakes.

  3. #3
    Zilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Jersey Pinelands
    Hammock
    Thunderbird BB XLC- Bridge-NX -250
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Diy/AHE/Spear
    Suspension
    Readystrap/buckles
    Posts
    2,453
    Images
    11
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Drybones View Post
    I ordered some 1.1 silnylon to make a new tarp, what I received didn't look or feel like what I've used before, it is stable in the ridge line direction but has stretch in the side to side direction, almost feels like latex. It is extremely light, but I'm concerned about the durability, don't know how to better describe it. Wondering if anyone has any insight on it? Tarp, stakes, and sack weighed in at 13 oz...before seam seal.

    You should ask Kyle from ripstopbytheroll, he knows fabric and could have an answer for you.

  4. #4
    craige's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Midlothian, Scotland
    Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    Zeppelin and sb
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCRs
    Posts
    1,538
    Images
    4
    Where did you get the fabric and what are the dimensions of the finished tarp? How stretchy is it? Any pics?
    More info would help so we have a better idea, atm all anyone can really do is speculate.

  5. #5
    Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    UK
    Hammock
    DIY DL spreader bar
    Tarp
    DIY sil hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ +TQ
    Suspension
    SLS
    Posts
    675
    I can't comment on the particular silnylon you have but as the weight of the fabric goes down it generally begins to stretch more and more. I made a 0.6oz/sq tarp yesterday and that stretched wildly, as though the silicone remains but there's virtually no fabric left.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Where did you get the fabric and what are the dimensions of the finished tarp? How stretchy is it? Any pics?
    More info would help so we have a better idea, atm all anyone can really do is speculate.
    http://ripstopbytheroll.com/collecti...-charcoal-gray

    This is the material I used. The tarp is 11' x 7', I sewed patches of heavier weight silnylon on the anchor points, had one small rip (1/8") at the corner of one tie out patch which I covered with seam seal and a 3 x 3 patch of Kenyon tape, don't know if I did that pulling it too tight the first time I set it up or during the sewing process, I plan to use it for a thru on the CT in August but don't know if it could handle high winds.

  7. #7
    craige's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Midlothian, Scotland
    Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    Zeppelin and sb
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCRs
    Posts
    1,538
    Images
    4
    I actually have a winter tarp of the same fabric uploadfromtaptalk1433160347211.jpg it is good stuff imo. Held up to 5 nights of continuous use with no complaints. I used very minimal tie outs, no reinforcements and there is no sign of ripping, stretching of the stitch holes or any other wear. I even broke one of the D rings on the RL when I got home and set it up to dry (I pitch my tarps TIGHT!). Scotty VP will hopefully be able to chip in to back this up as he was with me on the 5 night trip.
    Edit: not sure why the image is upside down :s

  8. #8
    New Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hammock
    11.5' DIY Brown PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Pad for now
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    17
    I had the same concern. I emailed kyle about this in the fall. He switched from a 3mx3m grid to a 1x1m grid for a more even coating and less stretch. I agree that it stretches more on the diagonal, but the fabric has held up great.

  9. #9
    Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    UK
    Hammock
    DIY DL spreader bar
    Tarp
    DIY sil hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ +TQ
    Suspension
    SLS
    Posts
    675
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    I actually have a winter tarp of the same fabric uploadfromtaptalk1433160347211.jpg it is good stuff imo. Held up to 5 nights of continuous use with no complaints. I used very minimal tie outs, no reinforcements and there is no sign of ripping, stretching of the stitch holes or any other wear. I even broke one of the D rings on the RL when I got home and set it up to dry (I pitch my tarps TIGHT!). Scotty VP will hopefully be able to chip in to back this up as he was with me on the 5 night trip.
    Edit: not sure why the image is upside down :s
    Having checked out craige's and his ridiculously tiny tie outs (miniscule) I'd have absolutely no worries about ripping or longevity at all,good strong fabric in my book (I've used lighter weight sil the last year and tbh even they are tough enough to handle 50mph winds)

Similar Threads

  1. Stretchy hybrid hammock
    By Scotty Von Porkchop in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-08-2014, 06:56
  2. Down-Proof, Breathable, and Stretchy?
    By SteelToe in forum Fabrics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-09-2012, 10:44
  3. Stretchy bugnetting
    By Dutch in forum Fabrics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-23-2010, 13:46
  4. Is Stretchy Fabric Useful?
    By sparkysko in forum Fabrics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-09-2007, 23:34

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •