Hi, another newbee here. I just got a Therm-a-rest double hammock. The Thermarest does not come with a suspension, although they do sell a pretty good one for about $25. The hammock does come with a good carabineer at each end.
I am not yet concerned about weight so I am looking at a complete DIY webbing system. I am reading that many people are using tie down straps and breaking off the cam buckles. I am wondering why people are breaking off the cam buckle? It seems like an good buckle for adjustments that won’t slip.
My plan is to get a couple of 15’ tie down straps (rated for about 1000 lbs) and cut them a couple of feet from the buckle (not yet sure exactly how far form the buckle), then put a loop at the ends of both cuts. The long piece will go around the tree and the shorter one will attach to the hammock. This is the same concept as the Themarest system except it would have a cam buckle instead of a cinch buckle.
This seems like a cheap, secure, quick method to hang the hammock. Am I missing something by leaving the cam buckle on ?

Thanks, Don