Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    We've been using the term "hang angle" in a couple of ways. I think of it the way wagex does, but I usually specify "hammock hang angle" as opposed to "the angle of the main suspension line to the tree." It's a bother to have to describe it so carefully, but I don't recall any clear definitions anywhere. Youngblood was the first person I encountered who understood and described hammock suspensions with any precision (possibly the only person to have done so), but that was some time ago, and I may be misremembering the terms he used. HYOH and keep talking to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    We've been using the term "hang angle" in a couple of ways. I think of it the way wagex does, but I usually specify "hammock hang angle" as opposed to "the angle of the main suspension line to the tree." It's a bother to have to describe it so carefully, but I don't recall any clear definitions anywhere. Youngblood was the first person I encountered who understood and described hammock suspensions with any precision (possibly the only person to have done so), but that was some time ago, and I may be misremembering the terms he used. HYOH and keep talking to each other.
    Hard to think of "hang angle" being anything different than the angle of the suspension from the tree to the attachment point on the hammock. The SRL, if there is one, will dictate the sag of the hammock from end to end if the hang angle is too shallow, obviously with added stress on the SRL, but it won't change the angle of the suspension.
    Last edited by TominMN; 04-22-2016 at 14:35.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ + DIY Sniv
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Grappler
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    We've been using the term "hang angle" in a couple of ways.
    Agreed. I should not have suggested that there is an agreed definition of "hang angle" that refers to the angle between the suspension and the tree. My only intention was to point out that the imprecise use of this term to refer to different things creates confusion and makes it hard to have a coherent conversation of these angles and their effect on the physics of hammocking. My sense is that "hang angle" is a term that was coined before structural ridgelines became popular. So originally there only was one angle, since without a structural ridgeline the hammock sag and the angle of the suspension leaving the tree are one and the same. When discussing structural ridgelines, however, we have to be more careful, as you suggested, to be clear about which angles we are talking about. I have gotten into the habit of labeling these as the "hang angle" and the "sag angle", but I should not assume that the reader understands what I mean by those terms. Thanks for the reminder.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Hang angle & your weight are the only two factors determining the stress. The guy in the video who pulled his porch into the pool, had too shallow of a hang angle. This is what I've been warning users of single ridgelines from the start of them.

If you can't reach high enough on the trees to get the proper angle, than you've simply chosen bad trees. Move on!

The 2nd most famous line spoken after, "Hold my beer" is, "we can make this work!"

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

No. The ridgeline actually carries very little tension even when seemingly very tight, since most of the tension is in the hammock itself underneath you.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    HH hex (heavy)
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    HH descender rings
    Images
    Maybe thisdiagram and table will help:HammockPhysics_original.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch/SLD/WB/DIY
    Tarp
    DWG/HG/SLD/UGQ/DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre Gear
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    Also.known as the Third Little Pig Phenomenon. The moral: sticks good, bricks not so much for shear loads...

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123