Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hammock Fabric

Hammock
    Eno Singlenest

Hammock Fabric

I'm thinking about making an ultralight hammock to cut down on pack weight. I was thinking about using 1.0 oz HyperD from ripstopbytheroll.com, but I'm not sure it will be strong enough. I weigh less than 160 lbs and I will be using this for thru hiking the AT. Any advice?

P.S. If anyone knows a good source for long, solid quality zippers that info would be appreciated.

Hammock
    DL RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Nemo Tensor
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    As long as you treat it gently, HyperD 1.0 will be plenty strong for your weight.

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    1.0 HyperD should be plenty strong enough. As wafflebox said, if you treat it right then it'll treat you right. I have used a hammock made HyperD on and off for a while now (I weigh somewhere around 230lbs) and have no issues with the strength or comfort of the fabric. What kind of zipper ar you looking for? #3 Zipper coil is most commonly used for hammocks and is widely available at fabric shops and online, diygearsupply is often recommended and both Dutch (dutchware) and Kyle (ripstopbytheroll) have said they will be stocking zippers in the near future.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    You want a 1.0 oz. hammock and a zipper? Sounds counter-intuitive. Personally, I gave up 1.0 and 1.1 oz hammocks since they just don't hold up for me. Then again, I'm known to go to bed with a pocketknife in my pocket.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    You want a 1.0 oz. hammock and a zipper? Sounds counter-intuitive. Personally, I gave up 1.0 and 1.1 oz hammocks since they just don't hold up for me. Then again, I'm known to go to bed with a pocketknife in my pocket.
    A zipper doesnt really add much weight, vs the weight of the extra material needed for something like a fronkey net.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    A zipper doesnt really add much weight, vs the weight of the extra material needed for something like a fronkey net.
    You can't get an 11 ft. nanoseeum Fronkey bugnet (Dutch or BIAS) for less than 7 oz. (unless you go for .5 oz nanoseeum). Add a zipper and you're looking at 8.8 oz. minimum, probably more.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    I'm still on the fence about building my ul hammock out of 1.0 hyperd. However, I want to just take the plunge and go for it. I weigh 150 lbs and should be fine. There has been some pretty good resources out their proving the reliability of 1.0 fabric with people as light as me. Sgt rock's been using a hammock about that light for almost 5 years now and hes got some pounds on me.

The idea of a 9' hammock made out of 1.0 hyper d sounds really good on paper. Just because on paper it makes my pack weight go down. I have disconcerns about how comfortable it will be more than it's durability.

There's only one way I'll know and that's by building one and testing it.

A smaller lighter hammock for me means, a smaller lighter tarp, a smaller light bug net, etc.... I just don't wanna step into stupid light for my thru hike. An extra few oz's shouldnt be a deal breaker.

If I can get my whole shelter rig at or under 18oz, I'd be happy. It's harder than it sounds when you include all the little things like stakes and guylines.

It's even harder when your trying to add the conviencnce of some dutch bling, because even when your counting grams, some things make your day way easier, and worth the weight.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    It's a tough decision. I like to cut too. I worry if I go too thin on the fabric, I could spend the night on the ground.

I have been using the same 1.4 oz nylon hammock for a few years now and still have total confidence in it to hold up my nearly 200 pounds.

Also, making something smaller to lose weight is counterproductive to me. I got into hammocks for comfort. A 9' hammock is far from comfortable.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    It's a tough decision. I like to cut too. I worry if I go too thin on the fabric, I could spend the night on the ground.

I have been using the same 1.4 oz nylon hammock for a few years now and still have total confidence in it to hold up my nearly 200 pounds.

Also, making something smaller to lose weight is counterproductive to me. I got into hammocks for comfort. A 9' hammock is far from comfortable.
    Actually, that brings up another point... not all fabrics are created equal. Places like ripstopbytheroll and dutchware have created their fabrics from the ground up specifically for hammock use. I have a hammock made from 1.4 oz rs (bought on ebay) that, while it holds my weight, it has more stretch and a much looser weave than my 1.0 and 1.1oz hammocks and there is no doubt in my mind that it is more likely to fail. Even if you decide on a different fabric for your thru-hike I would still urge you to use fabric from a reputable source, especially for an extended trip where you can't replace damaged gear easily.

Hammock
    diy
    Tarp
    Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    Phoneix/Burrow 20*
    Suspension
    Figuring that out
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Actually, that brings up another point... not all fabrics are created equal. Places like ripstopbytheroll and dutchware have created their fabrics from the ground up specifically for hammock use. I have a hammock made from 1.4 oz rs (bought on ebay) that, while it holds my weight, it has more stretch and a much looser weave than my 1.0 and 1.1oz hammocks and there is no doubt in my mind that it is more likely to fail. Even if you decide on a different fabric for your thru-hike I would still urge you to use fabric from a reputable source, especially for an extended trip where you can't replace damaged gear easily.
    great point. I'm thinking about getting on my 1.0oz hammock project stat so I can replicate a thru hikes worth of sleep before my thru hike. Even on my thru I will be carrying a torso length pad in the event I must go to the ground. It will double as insulation for my 3/4 length UQ.

People have had success with their grand trunk nano 7's and imo 1.0hyperd is superior. I would love more data on long term use wtih 1.0hyper single layers

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast