Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pea pod?

pea pod?

Folks,
    If you haven't figured it out by now, i'm a cheap ***. I don't like spending more money than absolutely necessary. So i've been doing some research on underquilts, which includes a fairly extensive youtube search for reviews. I'm seeing A LOT of videos where guys are buying cheap walmart bags, cutting holes in the foot, reinforcing the hole, and then just zipping the bag up around them.

So my question is:
    Does this actually work? why isn't everyone doing this instead of buying very expensive underquilts?

To clarify my needs:
    I live in Alabama. I do not camp when it gets below 50 degrees. period. end of discussion. I DO NOT like the cold. I don't like walking around in it, and i sure as poop don't like sleeping in it. I'll hunt in it, but that's out of necessity and i look like an eskimo when i do. But. In september I'll be traveling to Kansas City MO for lightning across the plains. I don't want to be unprepared for any cold (i do not usually travel above the mason dixon line) that I might encounter.

Discuss:

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty, Astd. Dutch
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex, TF
    Insulation
    HG,WLSS,JrB,UGQ,LL
    Suspension
    LW straps/Becket
    First of all, I've never used the pod system so I can't comment on its effectiveness. One giant question I would have for using that system for your needs would be regulating temperature-more specifically, how to vent when the weather gets too hot. For your situation, what I would use is my WL Summer Series 3/4 top quilt/underquilt set which is only 25 ounces for the set and packs down to a very small size. The obvious con for my system is the price-$280 for the set, but the pros over the system you mentioned are 1) packability-WalMart doesn't sell any bags that pack less than three times the mass of my SS set. They used to sell a good down bag, the Cocoon 250, but I believe they have discontinued it-maybe it's what you saw in those videos? 2)Venting when you get too hot. Do any of the You-Tubers say they use the peapod in summer? It would seem to me that the only way to vent would be to unzip the pod which would let cool air in and make you want some more insulation over your top side-which would require even more weight and bulk.

I'm definitely not saying the pod won't work for summer camping here in the south, just that I'm sure you would never regret getting the summer series set-especially if you backpack.

PS- Ever eat at Moe's BBQ? I've been to the one in Tuscaloosa and think they have one in Montgomery as well-best wings I've ever had-que and stew is great, too! Good luck!
    Last edited by Clisbyclark; 06-02-2015 at 22:32. Reason: grammar

Hammock
    10' DIY 1.0Hyper D
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*+2TQ/0*+2UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBugs/ Whoops
    The pea pod system isn't designed for summer hanging. It's for colder temp hangs where your snuggling up for the night. IMHO. Shug has some AWESOME videos on the pea pod system and hammock camping in general.

Hammock
    DIY w/ Net
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    Generally:
    1) Pod's made from cheap bags weigh more than the equivalent tq/uq set for a temp rating.
    2) Pod's limit diagonal lay, impacting comfort potentially.
    3) Often to be comfortable you still need something inside the pod on top of you (due to the large airspace that will be inside the pod) - expect maybe in very warm weather (65*F+?).
    4) pod's made from sleeping bag's aren't cut with a differential between the layers, and can be easily compressed under you, if pulled too tight. Or it can droop under you. This isn't quite as bad as with an UQ made from a sleeping bag because it's a closed system. But it's still not ideal to have an air gap under you.

I suggest just using a pad and a sleeping bag, instead of trying to fiddle with a pod.
    Last edited by Boston; 06-03-2015 at 12:36.

Hammock
    WBBB / Trek Light
    Tarp
    Squidbilly custom
    Insulation
    Jarbidge,UGQ TQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies/strap
    Images
    I use a patrol bag that is cut as you noted above. There is a trick to the way you cut it though to maximize your space. The trick is to cut the slits closest to the back side (the side that would be on the ground). For the patrol bag one cut should be in the head area of bag, not the shoulder! The other at the lowest point of the foot box. I made the edges look nice with grosgrain ribbon and hand sewed the whole thing. I sleep cold too and use it down into the 50's. I got it for $14 and use it frequently in the summer. I like the DIY pod because it is easy to set up. I leave it on the hammock when I pack up much quicker that messing with the UQ. I have a few nice UQs from vendors here that I use in colder weather but, I love this rig for overnight trips.
    I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

-Albert Einstein

Hammock
    10' DIY 1.0Hyper D
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ 0*+2TQ/0*+2UQ
    Suspension
    CinchBugs/ Whoops
    completely off topic but i love this quote from Einstein!!!

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston View Post
    Generally:
    1) Pod's made from cheap bags weigh more than the equivalent tq/uq set for a temp rating.
    2) Pod's limit diagonal lay, impacting comfort potentially.
    3) Often to be comfortable you still need something inside the pod on top of you (due to the large airspace that will be inside the pod) - expect maybe in very warm weather (65*F+?).
    4) pod's made from sleeping bag's aren't cut with a differential between the layers, and can be easily compressed under you, if pulled too tight. Or it can droop under you. This isn't quite as bad as with an UQ made from a sleeping bag because it's a closed system. But it's still not ideal to have an air gap under you.

I suggest just using a pad and a sleeping bag, instead of trying to fiddle with a pod.
    ^^ I second this with first-hand experience.

My sleeping bag (Hotcore T-300) is a -20*C rated 4 pounder... I took it to -10*C and had a miserable night. The main problem for me is droopage; I had to stuff my coat into the sleeping bag (under the hammock) to try to fill in the air gap. I feel comfortable using it to 0*C, but sleeping in it is no where NEAR as comfortable as my hammock without it. You really can't get diagonal, and the openings that you sew in the hood and footbox REALLY restrict the spread of the hammock (if you had an 11' hammock and a regular length sleeping bag, the openings will be under a lot of stress and will effectively shorten the length of your hammock).

Oh and it will also tend to slide into the middle of the hammock which is really annoying and makes it pretty tricky to get into the hammock. Also, if you use a structural ridgeline, the sleeping bag can NOT be removed easily if you want to just use your hammock for lounging. It will get in the way and be pretty annoying.

HYOH, but I'm planning on making a Climashield UQ because I'm not very satisfied with how the sleeping bag pod worked out.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewMeredith View Post
    ^^ I second this with first-hand experience.

My sleeping bag (Hotcore T-300) is a -20*C rated 4 pounder... I took it to -10*C and had a miserable night. The main problem for me is droopage; I had to stuff my coat into the sleeping bag (under the hammock) to try to fill in the air gap. I feel comfortable using it to 0*C, but sleeping in it is no where NEAR as comfortable as my hammock without it. You really can't get diagonal, and the openings that you sew in the hood and footbox REALLY restrict the spread of the hammock (if you had an 11' hammock and a regular length sleeping bag, the openings will be under a lot of stress and will effectively shorten the length of your hammock).

Oh and it will also tend to slide into the middle of the hammock which is really annoying and makes it pretty tricky to get into the hammock. Also, if you use a structural ridgeline, the sleeping bag can NOT be removed easily if you want to just use your hammock for lounging. It will get in the way and be pretty annoying.

HYOH, but I'm planning on making a Climashield UQ because I'm not very satisfied with how the sleeping bag pod worked out.
    I have never used a bag/pod conversion. I always flatter myself by at least hoping I may have been one of many to influence Shug(and Turk) to look into pods, maybe. Hopefully. But Shug and 4Dog and several other far north way below zero types have done bag/pod conversions with rather huge success. My lasting impression from Shug's experiments is that he was almost shocked at how toasty he was way, way below zero. But all of the abpve from Matthew's post show that it can be tricky and require some experimenting maybe even adding some suspension to help with the droop.

But I have only used commercial PeaPods with total ease and success. And I'm certain- at some cost in weight and $, I would likea PolarPod even more. At 6 ft wide in the middle and 9 ft or longer, and with the full length Velcro, it just closes over the entire length of most of my hammocks, though the 11 footers could use a bit more length like the PolarPod has. No problems on the diagonal, the nylon end cords can always pull it up to just contact my back with no gaps, unless I want a gap to add a parka or TQ to get a huge temp boost. Much more likely to have a top gap, especially with wider hammocks, but layering my puffy clothing on top(rather than wearing) and/or just adding a very light TQ solves that problem. Most bomb proof, works for sure system I ever used. But, unlike a bag conversion, cost $.

Hammock
    DIY HyperD 1.6oz
    Tarp
    DIY Hex-Cat
    Insulation
    DIY Integrated
    Suspension
    Kevlar and Amsteel
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I have never used a bag/pod conversion. I always flatter myself by at least hoping I may have been one of many to influence Shug(and Turk) to look into pods, maybe. Hopefully. But Shug and 4Dog and several other far north way below zero types have done bag/pod conversions with rather huge success. My lasting impression from Shug's experiments is that he was almost shocked at how toasty he was way, way below zero. But all of the abpve from Matthew's post show that it can be tricky and require some experimenting maybe even adding some suspension to help with the droop.

But I have only used commercial PeaPods with total ease and success. And I'm certain- at some cost in weight and $, I would likea PolarPod even more. At 6 ft wide in the middle and 9 ft or longer, and with the full length Velcro, it just closes over the entire length of most of my hammocks, though the 11 footers could use a bit more length like the PolarPod has. No problems on the diagonal, the nylon end cords can always pull it up to just contact my back with no gaps, unless I want a gap to add a parka or TQ to get a huge temp boost. Much more likely to have a top gap, especially with wider hammocks, but layering my puffy clothing on top(rather than wearing) and/or just adding a very light TQ solves that problem. Most bomb proof, works for sure system I ever used. But, unlike a bag conversion, cost $.
    Yea, I would say some sort of added suspension is a MUST for a sleeping bag pod conversion. Other than than though, it really is toasty! And cheap, when you consider my sleeping bag was $130 CND and does double duty as a top and bottom quilt. However, it is crazy heavy/bulky. Air space on top isn't as much of a problem as I thought it would be as the rising heat from your body gets trapped quite well.

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

pea pod?

I've used a converted SB as a peapod in cold weather hangs. I use a small shock cord at the feet & head to keep the SB from sliding down. The hole in the hood should be near the back but still on top to allow you to cinch up the hood around your face.

Sometimes I've used a loose ridge line to pull the SB up against the hammock when I use a second SB inside my hammock for colder temps.

It's not ideal but I liked being snug as a bug in a SB. I now have a JRB under quilt & UG top quilt for warmer temps.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast