Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Pairing a hammock with a 36lnpack sounds fun. I've paired my 22l pack and a Ribs pack to get me to 30l for overnight trips with comfort! An extra 6l would have been fantastic for extra food space so I could go longer so don't let anyone steer you from what you want.

For reference, I took my Warbonnet XLC and Superfly with a HG 0° custom 68" Incubator, a Jacks R Better Sierra Stealth, long/wide for insulation. A Stoic down anorak. A Imusa 12cm pot, alcohol stove, full gortex rain suit, a sit pad, food, and a couple small odds and ends. I didn't take a sleeping pad to go to ground but I could have easily strapped it to the outside of my pack where I had 1l of water on each side.

I could have gone smaller in a few places. My XLC I could have went with my Dutch netless hammock. Or now he has one with a bug net. I could have used a partial underquilt and subbed a folded pad for the feet which while less comfy to me, would give me a ground option. I could get smaller lighter rain gear, like a sil poncho or something similar.

So the load I took was in 30l for short trips. If you are thinking of carrying more while traveling, upsize the bag. If not, you'll do fine.
    Brady

T-Minus...of course...why didn't I think of that....I like the KISS method...my brain is getting saturated. Thanks for the focused easy answer...works for me (at least I think it will).

The Half-Wit looks great (weight wise)....what suspension do you use (and why)? and how much weight does that add...wonder why it lays flatter than others you have used?
    I'll check out Warbonnets also...(along with a zillion others)...Want to head out by August 1st...so I need to digest quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by STinGa View Post
    Welcome to the site.

You never mentioned a timeline, so I hope you have time to dig through this site. There is a ton of info here, just watch out for info overload. As mentioned, try to attend a group hang if you can get to one. You will be able to see (and test) different rigs, talk to the other hangers about their systems, and compare all-in-one vs mix and match systems.
    STinGa...I plan to be out of here by August 1st....will try to locate a group hang prior to that....good idea...(hope I am replying correctly here...not very savvy and should have read instructions first)
    Thanks

Good luck on the new lifestyle. Just remember, if you don't share pics, it didn't happen.

STinGa

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JillR View Post
    The Half-Wit looks great (weight wise)....what suspension do you use (and why)? and how much weight does that add...wonder why it lays flatter than others you have used?
    I'll check out Warbonnets also...(along with a zillion others)...Want to head out by August 1st...so I need to digest quickly.
    The half-wit assumes that you can use your UQ/TQ/hammock as bug protection. That's pretty iffy if you ask me. If it's hot enough to need a bugnet, it's hot enough for me to kick off my TQ. Mosquitoes don't get lethargic till 60, and downright immobile at 50. Anything above that and you're playing with fire.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    I don't sleep hot enough to not use insulation at that below 60° but at these temps you really only need the net for the evening as it begins to cool, and again when it warms in the am. It mostly comes down to how hot she sleeps.

It's pretty silly to write off using a system you don't use unless you have experience with it. All you do is uncover your top half if you are hot and stay protected from the bugs.

It is worth noting she does want a hammock that does it all so something with an integrated net is probably easiest, but she asked for light and packable. The half wit meets what she asks.
    Brady

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Standard
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Just make sure you ask lots of questions. As you can see, we all have opinions.
    Brady

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    FWIW, my opinion is to not try and do an all inclusive hammock that is all on the hammock. Get some system like the Anti Gravity Gear hammock and carry a tyvek ground sheet. This way if you cannot hammock, then you can use the tarp as a tarp and the bug net as a bugnet while sleeping on the ground suspended between trekking poles. For insulation get a pad since you could use it in your hammock or on the ground if you have to go to ground. It doesn't have to be the AGG, but it gives you an idea. I think maybe a double layer 1.1 hammock for someone your size would be good since it would be light and breathable in the hotter climates you might encounter but could also sandwich the pad in place when you use it.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    That is great advice by Sarge.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    FWIW, my opinion is to not try and do an all inclusive hammock that is all on the hammock. Get some system like the Anti Gravity Gear hammock and carry a tyvek ground sheet. This way if you cannot hammock, then you can use the tarp as a tarp and the bug net as a bugnet while sleeping on the ground suspended between trekking poles. For insulation get a pad since you could use it in your hammock or on the ground if you have to go to ground. It doesn't have to be the AGG, but it gives you an idea. I think maybe a double layer 1.1 hammock for someone your size would be good since it would be light and breathable in the hotter climates you might encounter but could also sandwich the pad in place when you use it.

Thanks for all the advice/encouragement

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock View Post
    I think maybe a double layer 1.1 hammock for someone your size would be good since it would be light and breathable in the hotter climates you might encounter but could also sandwich the pad in place when you use it.
    Great advice....thanks to everyone..(have not quite figured out how to reply...so we'll see what happens here).
    I'm on information overload....haven't got the hang of suspensions...hope to out of here by August 1st...so many hammocks...and so little understanding....I research everything to death!....wish it were simpler...weight is a strong consideration (not sure how much I can carry....and international travel, etc...requires me to pare down). Ease of use is also top on my list....and then there's comfort!...Although I was a computer geek in my working life....I am very spatially spastic...tying knots, untangling cords...UGH...things that are simple for some are unbelievable difficult. (Of course I can learn....it is just getting the fear out of the way....have a mental block about it that's all.) So, I think I will start watching a few videos...I do better with hands on, and talking it through...but have not found a group hang ...so I'll have to wing it...Thanks again for leading me in some directions..

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12