1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Take-a-knee View Post
    Some here suggested a small section of evazote INSIDE the footbox of the underquilt.
    That's where I placed my Evazote nightlight pad ... in the pad layer of the footbox. In fact, I placed my entire Murmur BP with nightlight still attached in the footbox area. But my feet still didn't like it.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Quote Originally Posted by Hike4WD View Post
    That's where I placed my Evazote nightlight pad ... in the pad layer of the footbox. In fact, I placed my entire Murmur BP with nightlight still attached in the footbox area. But my feet still didn't like it.
    Well then, just double up the pad under your feet.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hike4WD View Post
    FWIW, the BB seems unique in the footbox. I think our feet are somehow "less" protected. I can be completely warm and have cooler (not cold just not as warm) feet than I'd like
    This winter I will be experimenting with a 360 layer of reflectex in the footbox and see if I have an improvement...we shall see
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I think the thing with the foot box is, it's hard to fully insulate it, ESPECIALLY if the pad is inside the pad pocket, between the double layers.

In the foot box, not only can your insulation be compressed from underneath, but it can be from the sides and possibly even the top. I would think a really flexible pad (or two) that could conform to the shape of the foot box, and wrap up around your feet, would help a lot.

I just wear thicker socks

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Mustardman, I agree with the foot box being a little more difficult to fully insulate.
    If I curl in more of a fetal position, I can keep my feet warm ... but then I get tired of that position, straighten out again and the coldness repeats.

My plan for the next trip, in addition to the pad, I will wear 2.5oz down booties inside the TQ. I'm hoping that will do it and it won't take up as much space in the backpack.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For me the best way that I have been able to keep my tootsies toasty in real cold weather in the BB is by using my DIY UQ over under the foot-bxt and my Yeti under me! I have since added a piece of velcro to seal the gap between the two. I did this last winter with great success...... the UQ on the feet wraps around ensuring warm feet.
    2 uq's.jpg
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    For me the best way that I have been able to keep my tootsies toasty in real cold weather in the BB is by using my DIY UQ over under the foot-bxt and my Yeti under me! I have since added a piece of velcro to seal the gap between the two. I did this last winter with great success...... the UQ on the feet wraps around ensuring warm feet.
    2 uq's.jpg
    Interesting. I had no hint of cold feet the other night using my Yeti like Climashield (one layer only) WB torso UQ and a summer top quilt and WM blue leg pad, with a BB. But of course, it was only mid-hi 40s, so.......

I don't remember any cold feet problems using a WBBB and my JRB MWUQ4( no leg pad), at 18*F with extremely high winds. Also, I have never had cold feet using my Pea Pod near the limits of it's temp ratings, using only wool socks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Interesting. I had no hint of cold feet the other night using my Yeti like Climashield (one layer only) WB torso UQ and a summer top quilt and WM blue leg pad, with a BB. But of course, it was only mid-hi 40s, so.......

I don't remember any cold feet problems using a WBBB and my JRB MWUQ4( no leg pad), at 18*F with extremely high winds. Also, I have never had cold feet using my Pea Pod near the limits of it's temp ratings, using only wool socks.
    yea BillyBob, my cold feet came around 5*F and my winter Yeti
    I'm curious to see if I have the same issues with my Traveler this winter
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by animalcontrol View Post
    yea BillyBob, my cold feet came around 5*F and my winter Yeti
    I'm curious to see if I have the same issues with my Traveler this winter
    I just remembered I also did not have cold feet with the MWUQ ( but in the JRB bridge) at 11*F, no leg pad used. But that was not the BB with footbox, if that actually is a factor. And it was not 5*F, which might have made the dif. It is certainly approaching the MWUQ's lowest rating. And 11*F was also the lowest I have pushed the Pea Pod ( in a Speer hammock, no cold feet), below it's 20*F rating. But, I did add a space blanket on that test.

What type of leg pad were you using, how thick?

The only time I have had cold feet while in the hammock was when testing the HH SS in the high 30s, I think when I was trying to use it a couple of times without a space blanket. In fact I remember one of the major improvements I first noticed when switching to the Pea Pod was warm feet wearing only one layer of medium wt. wool socks.

Images
    the whole idea of the footbox is so your feet don't press up against the sides of the hammock, there should be plenty of room to scoot up toward the head end of the hammock a couple of inches unless someone is pushing the max height (6'6") there should be no compression of your sleeping bag/tq except under your heels. i've felt my feet pressing into the sides of other hammocks that had a lack of foot room, and that could cause compression of insualtion, but the footbox on the bb is roomy enough to where your feet shouldn't be pressing up against the end of it. if they are, scoot toward the head end a few inches to allow the insulation room to loft

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast