Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

how to use tarp with a fire?

I'm curious how well a tarp works at trying to keep a fire sort of dry if it's raining. Do you pitch it in a porch Configuration? How close can you get the fire? Or do you just use a small alcohols stove unDer the tarp and then don't have to worry about it?
    Last edited by Greene; 06-03-2015 at 14:21. Reason: mispelled

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I've never tried it since EVERYTHING would smell like smoke. I like the smell of campfire smoke, but not while I'm sleeping and in my gear 365 days/year! I always build my fire a good 25 yards+ away downwind.

I saw some youtube videos of people making small fires right at the edge of the tarp, though. Very small fires.

how to use tarp with a fire?

I'm curious how well a tarp works at trying to keep a fire sort of dry if it's raining. Do you pitch it in a porch configuration? How close can you get the fire? Or do you just use a small alcohols stove unDer the tarp and then don't have to worry about it?
    Last edited by Greene; 06-03-2015 at 14:22. Reason: wrong terms

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greene View Post
    I'm curious how well a tarp works at trying to keep a fire sort of dry if it's raining. Do you pitch it in a porch configuration? How close can you get the fire? Or do you just use a small alcohols stove unDer the tarp and then don't have to worry about it?
    I have never tried a tarp with a fire (other than an Emberlit Ti EL Mini wood stove). I would be hesitant to do so since my HG Winter Palace costs 3X what a similar tarp in silnylon would cost.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Juniper Custom
    Tarp
    HG DCFF w/doors
    Insulation
    etherial0's hg20's
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    I would say you could get as close as you can until it don't work and something gets burned or melted. If its for cooking its best to do it away from where you sleep as a rule. (bears and critters ect.) if it is for warmth I would invest in something that could take some heat or get a quilt or other kind of inso. If it is to watch and smell build it hot enough it will burn regardless of the rain. I have seen some vids on "hot tents" if you need some ideas of winter warmth.

The hot tents are a very cool concept. I'm more just curious as I'm just getting started. I guess even if you had another tarp by a cooking area but good point on cooking away from slept area. Although I'm in northern ohio so bears aren't a Co cern. Mayne a curious fox or so.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Just remember that your hammock, quilts and that tarp as well as you pack most of your clothes and all of the rest of most backpacking gear are made from nylon or polyester....synthetic fabrics that are made from a petroleum base which are all extremely flammable. Personally an open flame close to a flaming wad of plastic is one of the worst ways to go that I can think off.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greene View Post
    The hot tents are a very cool concept. I'm more just curious as I'm just getting started. I guess even if you had another tarp by a cooking area but good point on cooking away from slept area. Although I'm in northern ohio so bears aren't a Co cern. Mayne a curious fox or so.
    Here in the Northeast, I generally shy away from cooking under the tarp. It's not a big thing in the Pine Barrens, but once you get up to northern NJ and the Delaware Water Gap, there can be six bears per square mile. I get even more creeped out in upstate NY (Adirondacks), though I'm not sure of the bear density there, but I see more bear scat.

Once I head into those parts, I'm cooking 200 or 300 ft. from my tarp just to be sure, and bear bagging.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WBBB SGL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Std Cuben
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Reminds me of an incident I witnessed decades ago at Standing Indian Campground in the Nantahala National Forest.
    Two moms that were trying to expose their 9-10 year old sons to a camping experience.
    After multiple attempts to get a fire going it began to rain and the decision was made to use Coleman Fuel on the wood while holding a piece of polyethylene over it to keep the rain off. Amazing how fast a 10 x 10 sheet of poly can turn into a postage stamp!
    Luckily none got hurt but I don't think we stopped laughing about it all weekend. Still brings a chuckle after all these years.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
    Charles Darwin

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast